Next Dinner - Nov. 26th??
  Re: (...)
I was looking thru old C@H for ideas for the next dinner - an easy one for these hectic days ahead. when I came to this page, it just said "EAT ME!!!"

How about Apple Stuffed French Toast???? How easy and fun would that be - maybe a little ham on the side??? (and for Sharon, there is even a side note to make a "peanut butter-banana filling )

Here's the recipe, what do you all think?

Apple Stuffed French Toast
(Cuisine, February 2001, Issue 25, p. 8)

Makes: 4 Slices Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Apple Filling—
Melt; Add and Saute:
1 T. unsalted butter
3 cups Jonathan apples, peeled and diced small
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. kosher salt

Off Heat, Stir in:
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. vanilla extract

Add to Half of Apple Mixture:
1/3 cup apple butter

For the French Toast—
Prepare:
4 slices soft French bread, cut 1" thick slices

Whisk Together; Soak Bread In:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. kosher salt

Saute Bread in:
1 T. vegetable oil

Garnish with:
maple syrup
Remaining apple mixture

Preheat oven to 375°.

Melt butter in large saute pan over medium heat. Add apples, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Saute until apples begin to soften, 3–5 minutes.

Off heat, stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Divide mixture between two small mixing bowls.

Add apple butter to one of the bowls; stir to combine (this is the filling). Set aside other half and use it to garnish the stuffed French toast.

Prepare bread by slicing into 1"-thick slices. To cut a pocket, lay a slice on its side and cut a “mouth” in the top crust. Don’t slice all the way to the bottom—it should stay hinged. Cut deep into the slice by wiggling the knife back and forth inside. Just be careful not to cut through the bottom of the bread. Squeeze the “cheeks” to spread the pocket open. Place filling in a small plastic sandwich bag, press out air, and seal. Snip a corner (about 1/2") from bottom—it should be big enough to release filling without much pressure, but not too big! To pipe, hold bread in one hand and squeeze to open pocket. Pipe 3–4 T. filling into each piece; wipe off any excess filling and press opening closed. Fill remaining bread slices.

Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl. Soak bread in egg-milk mixture 1–11/2 minutes Then flip slices over and soak 1–11/2 minutes more. Heat 1 T. vegetable oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place the soaked slices in the skillet.

Saute until golden brown on one side, 2–3 minutes. Flip the bread over, transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake 10 minutes—toast will puff up.

Garnish with maple syrup and reserved apple mixture.

-------

Peanut Butter-Banana French Toast
(Cuisine, February 2001, Issue 25, p. 9)

Makes: 4 Slices Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Peanut Butter-Banana Filling —
Mash; Combine:
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter

For the French Toast —
Prepare:
4 slices soft French bread, cut 1" thick slices

Whisk Together; Soak Bread In:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. kosher salt

Saute Bread in:
1 T. vegetable oil

Garnish with:
1 T. roasted peanuts, chopped
maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375°.

Mash banana and combine with peanut butter.

Slice bread into 1"-thick slices. To cut a pocket, lay a slice on its side and cut a “mouth” in the top crust. Don’t slice all the way to the bottom—it should stay hinged. Cut deep into the slice by wiggling the knife back and forth inside. Just be careful not to cut through the bottom of the bread. Squeeze the “cheeks” to spread the pocket open.

Place filling in a small plastic sandwich bag, press out air, and seal. Snip a corner (about 1/2") from bottom—it should be big enough to release filling without much pressure. To pipe, hold bread in one hand and squeeze to open pocket. Pipe 3–4 T. filling into each piece; wipe off any excess filling and press opening closed. Fill remaining bread slices.

Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl. Soak bread in batter 1–11/2 min. Then flip slices over and soak 1–11/2 min. more. Heat 1 T. vegetable oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place the soaked slices in the skillet.

Saute stuffed bread until golden brown on one side, 2–3 minutes. Flip bread over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake 10 minutes—toast will puff up.

Garnish with roasted peanuts and maple syrup.

------

Wouldn't this be good on a wild and wooly nite and think how the kids would enjoy our pick this time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by cjs (I was looking thru o...)
We'll probably still be eating leftovers
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by DFen911 (We'll probably still...)
Denise - that's to be enjoyed between today and November 26th......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Hey, this is one to make for the kids, perhaps on T-Day weekend if I'm not working. Better yet, their Dad, and uncle, (and departed great grandmother, what are the odds of that happening?) share a Thanksgiving birthday this year, maybe they should do breakfast!! Be fun to get them involved! (I'll be a consultant)

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by pjcooks (Hey, this is one to ...)
Don't forget: top them with peanut butter with a bunch of syrup mixed into it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Jean, this really sounds fun for something different! We don't usually eat french toast for dinner, but why not?
Count me in.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by Mare749 (Jean, this really so...)
If I bring the bread up will you fix it Jean?

Maryann, that joke with the kittens is one of my favorites. I used to keep it on my desktop so I could play it once in a while, but I lost it. That kitten laughing just slays me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by bjcotton (If I bring the bread...)
Billy, I didn't know there was a joke with that kitten. It was just an avatar that I copied from a website that I found online and it made me laugh, so I had to have it. Wait till you see the next one, it's even funnier!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by Mare749 (Jean, this really so...)
On occasion we do eat breakfast for dinner. It's kinda fun! One time my oldest daughter had a friend over for dinner (when we were having breakfast), to make it especially fun, I broke out all the fine china. I even used the 'lobster butter warmers' for warming syrup at each place setting and used wine glasses for our milk or juice. Her friend was quite impressed. Although it is not difficult to impress a 12 year old.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Next Dinner - Nov. 26th?? by luvnit (On occasion we do ea...)
I'm in for the apple recipe. We love breakfast for dinner!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.