Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request --
  Re: (...)
Pretty please. . .

C@H had a recipe for chocolate and vanilla ice cream sandwiches, but I cannot find it anywhere, including in the index. Would you mind taking a peek and see if you have access to this recipe? Just need the cookie part. I got my hands on some "black" cocoa and would like to give those a try.

Also, I didn't know C@H had a recipe for ciabatta. That is in issue 46, page 37. Would you please post the recipe for that, also?

Great big thanks!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by MUSICMAKER (Pretty please. . .[b...)
For some reason, Linda, I can no longer sign in to MembersPlus. I hope some of the others can.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by bjcotton (For some reason, Lin...)
Billy, wonder if something is wrong with their archives. I TRIED a number of times to get into the "extra" recipes we are supposed to have access to with the purchase of the "specialty" [Email] C@H [/Email] books....have been having trouble with the Pasta book AND Holiday Cookies book. When you click on the pix you want the recipe for, a bunch of mumbo-jumbo shows up (all kinds of symbols, letters, etc.). This has been going on for about 2 days now. Think I'm going to PM one of the moderators...Brian, I think is the tech-y here.

Thanks for trying. If you should gain access, would you mind posting those? Would greatly appreciate it! TIA!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by MUSICMAKER (Billy, wonder if som...)
Linda, I do not have access to MP - never have. But I think you may be looking for a cookie in Issue 15 - pg 42 May/June 1999. There was an article on Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich and Lace Cookie-Pineapple Ice Cream Sandwich. The extra on the back page had Lace Basket with Ice Cream and Tropical Fruit salad.

Looks great. Hope this helps. If no one gets access or can find it on MP - I can type it up out of the magazine.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by esgunn (Linda, I do not hav...)
Erin, yes, that is the one! Now that you mentioned the lace cookies with the pineapple ice cream, etc., it came to mind!!! Would appreciate your typing it up (cookie part only) if nobody can get into MP! Thanks so much!!!

Erin, do you have issue 46? The ciabatta is in that issue, page 37. If no one else can get into MP and if you have that issue, if not too much trouble, would you mind passing that one along? TIA!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by esgunn (Linda, I do not hav...)
Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich
(Cuisine, June 1999, Issue 15, p. 42)

Makes: 10–12 Sandwiches Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Cookies—
Combine:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed

Mix; Knead into Flour Mixture:
2/3 cup sugar
2 T. instant espresso powder
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
2 eggs

For the Sandwich—
Fill Pairs of Cookies with:
Vanilla Ice Cream, (use 1/4 cup to make each sandwich)

Related Recipes:

Vanilla Ice Cream

Combine the flour and cocoa in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture, as for pie dough.

Mix together using a whisk and a seperate bowl, sugar, espresso, vanilla, salt, pepper, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, and knead until combined. Divide dough in half and roll between two sheets of parchment to 1/8" thick. Place on baking sheet, and freeze 10 min. until firm. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut out rounds with 3" cutter; transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10–12 min. until firm to the touch. Cool 5 min. on baking sheet, then transfer to rack. Freeze cookies 1 hr. before “sandwiching.”

To fill, scoop 1/4 cup firm ice cream on cookie. Flatten slightly, top with second cookie, and freeze 1 hour. Wrap in plastic; return to freezer.

Nutrition Information (Per sandwich):
590 calories 60% calories from fat 40g total fat 53g carb. 119mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

Lace Cookie-Pineapple Ice Cream Sandwich
(Cuisine, June 1999, Issue 15, p. 43)

Makes: 10–12 Sandwiches Total Time: 1 1/2 Hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Cookies—
In a Bowl, Combine:
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and finely ground
1/2 cup sweetened coconut, toasted

Add; Set Dry Ingredients Aside:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 t. salt

Heat; Mix into Dry Ingredients:
6 T. unsalted butter, cubed
2 T. honey
2 T. milk

For the Sandwich—
Fill Pairs of Cookies with:
Pineapple Ice Cream, frozen in cans and sliced

Related Recipes:

Pineapple Buttermilk Ice Cream

Preheat oven to 375°. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet and toast 10–15 min., until golden. Skin, cool, and finely grind in processor. Spread coconut on baking sheet and toast in oven until golden, 10–15 min., stirring occasionally. Cool.

Combine hazelnuts and coconut in a medium bowl.

Add sugar, flour, and salt to nut-coconut mixture, and set aside.

Heat, melted butter, honey, and milk, over medium heat; mix into dry ingredients. Drop batter by teaspoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Space at least 3" apart (six cookies per sheet)—they spread a lot. Bake cookies on middle rack of 375° oven 8 minutes, until evenly golden. Cool completely before removing from baking sheet. Freeze.

Slicing Ice Cream - To make neat, even slices, pack ice cream into 14 1/2 oz. cans. Be sure they're completely full. Freeze overnight. Remove can bottom and push ice cream through using a smaller can as a plunger. Cut 3/4" slices with knife dipped in hot water and whipped dry.

Nutrition Information (Per sandwich):
434 calories 63% calories from fat 30g total fat 39g carb. 119mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.CuisineAtHome.com

Pineapple Buttermilk Ice Cream
(Cuisine, June 1999, Issue 15, p. 41)

Makes: About 5 Cups Total Time: 45 Minutes + Chilling Rating: Easy

Beat Together:
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar

Combine Buttermilk Mix and Heat:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar

Add to Cream Mixture:
1 cup pineapple puree (do not use canned pineapple, flavor and consistancy will suffer)

Related Recipes:

Lace Cookie-Pineapple Ice Cream Sandwich

Beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. The mixture will lighten in color to a pale yellow. Set aside. Split bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds. In saucepan, combine milk mixture ingredients; add seeds and pod to mixture. Over medium heat, bring milk mixture to 175°, stirring often. Use a thermometer to gauge the temperature.

Combine when the buttermilk mixture has reached 175°, temper the egg yolk mixture by whisking in 1/2 cup of the hot buttermilk mix. Pour the tempered yolk mixture back into the remaining hot buttermilk mix. Whisk well to evenly distribute yolk mixture. Bring custard to 180° over medium heat, stirring frequently. Lower heat and continue stirring, keeping temperature 180–190°. Stir for 5–7 minutes, checking temp. often. It’s finished when a finger line is left on the back of the spoon when swiped. Strain custard into a bowl; discard vanilla pod. Cool 1 hour at room temp. Cover, touching plastic wrap to custard surface. Chill 4 hours or over-night. Custard must be 40° or lower to set up. Stir mix.

Add pineapple puree and stir. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for churning. When finished, it will be soft and fluffy, like soft-serve. Eat it now, freeze in canister 30 minutes, or allow to ripen. Ice cream can be scooped after 24–48 hours. But it tastes just as good for another week. It won’t get icy or lose flavor. (Pineapple Ice Cream shown here sandwiched between Lace Cookies.)

Nutrition Information (Per cup):
527 calories 66% calories from fat 39g total fat 42g carb. 84mg sodium

www.CuisineAtHome.com

Have a nice day, everyone!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by pjcooks (Chocolate-Vanilla Ic...)
Man, I'm glad I read the entire thread - I would have been double posting these!

" The ciabatta is in that issue, page 37." - nope Linda, if you were looking at an index, it's misleading. The article only references ciabatta - using a loaf of it in baguette croutons.

Sorry, searching for 'ciabatta' doesn't come up with anything - and searching for 'bread' brings up 190...... and nothing for ciabatta alphabetically.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by cjs (Man, I'm glad I read...)
Hi Everyone,

Let me try to address these issues....

First, regarding the "Extras" sites, particularly the Perfect Pasta and Holiday Cookies books, I'm assuming that your problems are specifically related to the downloadable PDFs? Regardless, please let me know (with exact detail) which recipes or pages you are having trouble with, and I can get it fixed toot sweet. We obviously don't want there to be any problems with those and we want everything to work as expected.

Now, regarding Member's Plus. There are some of you who were asked to be "Beta" testers of that site over a year ago. What happened with that site was that there was an overall change in strategy, and our management team decided that Member's Plus wasn't the right direction for us. I agree with you that MP is a great site and a wonderful tool, but from a business perspective, there were simply too many concerns that led to the site being shelved. Good or bad, that's what happened. But, on the positive side, our management team intends on doing something similar (but different) very soon. I have no specific information on that, but I'm looking forward to working on it.

Now, if you are a beta tester for Member's Plus, and if you are having troubles accessing the site or specific recipes on that site, please send me a PM with exact detail of what your having trouble viewing. I can take a look and try and correct the problem.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you have any questions at all. Thanks!

Brian
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by Brian (Hi Everyone,[br][br]...)
Thanks Brian - so far, so good for me. Altho, I did have a question about whether the archives were going to be continually up dated?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Member's Plus foodies -- recipe request -- by cjs (Man, I'm glad I read...)
Quote:

Man, I'm glad I read the entire thread - I would have been double posting these!

" The ciabatta is in that issue, page 37." - nope Linda, if you were looking at an index, it's misleading. The article only references ciabatta - using a loaf of it in baguette croutons.

Sorry, searching for 'ciabatta' doesn't come up with anything - and searching for 'bread' brings up 190...... and nothing for ciabatta alphabetically.

I tried this AM, too, and figure that if I can't find something, it has another name that may have nothing to do with anything~then again, it could have been because it was 4:30 AM

I've learned to read through, too, Jean, only figured it was so darn early noone else would be up typing yet!! I do try to give a heads up when I do.
PJ
PJ