1/3 cup warm water
5 cups all-purpose or bread flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1½ tablespoons salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water

2 Tbsp baking soda for the boiling water pot

Kosher or coarse salt

Heat milk just until bubbles form around the edge; remove from the heat and stir in brown sugar. Stir until dissolved then set aside. Meanwhile, combine warm water and mother stir to break apart. Let stand for 3 minutes then add the warm milk mixture. Beat in flour until smooth. Cover and set in a warm place for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours.

Combine Flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.

Punch down dough and start to add the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt. Place on a floured board or work surface and knead for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Roll into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle then cut into 1/2-inch wide strips. Roll each strip into a rope and twist into large pretzels. Let rise about 30 minutes.

(Making the classic “Hands folded in prayer” pretzel shape is easy. Make a cross over loop, like the breast cancer awareness ribbon, then bring the top of the ribbon down to the to bottom tails and pinch together where they overlap)

Bring a large kettle of salted water to a boil, add in the baking soda. Preheat the oven to 400*F. Lower the pretzels gently into the boiling water for about 10 seconds then remove and place 2-inches apart on a greased baking sheet. I use my pizza stone, but an air bake cookie sheet works well too.

Beat egg and water together and lightly brush the pretzel tops to coat. Sprinkle with coarse salt (you can get inventive on toppings for pretzel just as will the bagels, but salt is the original) and bake at 400*F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Pictorial coming this weekend and I finish cooking the Thanksgiving dinner for 200 plus homeless at the shelter.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by bbally (Penna. Dutch (German...)
Thanks, Bob! Definitely going to try these.

You forgot that if these are REALLY going to be Phila. Style, they MUST be served with mustard on top.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by labradors (Thanks, Bob! Defini...)
Quote:

Thanks, Bob! Definitely going to try these.

You forgot that if these are REALLY going to be Phila. Style, they MUST be served with mustard on top.

Raised in Penna., the mustard is for the blog, as we are going to learn to make the German Mustard in the Mortar and Pestle!

But you are correct, must have the mustard on top!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Raised in Penna., the mustard is for the blog, as we are going to learn to make the German Mustard in the Mortar and Pestle!

Will have to check the blog, then!

Then again, I still need to get back to trying that Moravian Cake recipe you posted a while back.

Do you happen to know Achenbach's Bakery in New Holland? They had just an amazing Moravian Cake. For that matter, their éclairs were spectacular: you had to slice them and eat just a slice, not a whole éclair, since each one was huge, and had a full POUND of custard!

Oops! Also forgot to ask, what is your recipe for the sourdough "mother" needed for this?
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is a link to the mother recipe so you can get started. If you keep it in the room, it will be ready by Saturday.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by bbally (This is a [url=http...)
Thanks!
  Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by bbally (Penna. Dutch (German...)
Quote:

Pictorial coming this weekend and I finish cooking the Thanksgiving dinner for 200 plus homeless at the shelter.

Bob, God bless you for your selfless and generous act of kindness. This world can use more people like you in it.

Thanks for posting the recipe....looking forward to your pictorial!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Can't wait for the pictorial! I love your pics... keep them coming
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by luvnit (Can't wait for the p...)
Laura just wanted you to know I have not forgotten, I have the pictures just have to write it up and post it.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Mother 6 PA German soft pretzel Phila.-Style by bbally (Laura just wanted yo...)
That's okay Bob, I will patiently wait. Your pictorials are worth it!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura