Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be??????
  Re: (...)
Still cleaning out the freezer - getting real tedious here...

I have a pkg. of Beef bottom round steak - thin cut, anyone got any ideas using this? I have a couple, but would like some fresh ideas.

Made one of those wonderful turkey soups last night that I'll never be able to duplicate - based on the leftovers from our mini-Thanksgiving dinner. Man, it was good.

Do any of you remember Cristina Ferrare? I first remember her when she was co-host with Regis Philbin (this was even before Kathi Lee) and then she had a show a few years later called 'Home,' I think. Anyway, she's one of those whose cooking is right up my alley - loved her recipes. Anyway, she has a turkey marinade/baste that I've always liked. This is what I used the other day - it makes the best gravy also.

Cristina's marinade

1 cup Dijon mustard (... speaking of Dijon)
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
3 sprigs of frresh thyme, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano

In a 1 1/2-qt bowl, whisk the ingredients until well blended. Use to m arinate your choice of poultry, fish, or meat.

Or pour over a turkey as it goes in oven, cover and roast the bird. After an hour, use to baste the turkey. Makes a great base for the gravy also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by cjs (Still cleaning out t...)
Okay, I have short ribs that Ron bought the other day and want to use them today. I have never cooked these before, so I don't have a clue what to do first. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by Mare749 (Okay, I have short r...)
Here's one and will your house ever smell good all day!!

Braised Short Ribs of Beef
Serving Size : 8

4 ounces flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
6 pounds beef short ribs -- cut in 2-in. (5-cm) portions
1 ounce vegetable oil
6 ounces onion -- chopped
4 ounces celery -- chopped
24 ounces brown beef stock
roux -- as needed
salt and pepper -- to taste

1. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and rosemary. Dredge the ribs in the seasoned flour.

2. Heat the oil and brown the ribs well in a heavy brazier. Remove and hold in a warm place.

3. Add the vegetables to the brazier and sauté lightly.

4. Return the ribs to the pan, add the stock and cook in a 300ºF (150ºC) oven until done, approximately 2 1/2 hours.

5. Remove the ribs from the liquid and skim off the excess fat.

6. Bring the liquid to a boil on the stove top; thicken it with roux to the desired consistency and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the sauce and adjust the seasonings. Return the ribs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.

------
and here's one I did for a dinner party - boy, was it good!!

SHORT RIBS PROVENCALE WITH CREME FRAICHE MASHED POTATOES

Serving Size : 6

2 tablespoons olive oil -- (or more)
6 pounds meaty beef short ribs
1 large onion -- finely chopped
1 medium carrot -- finely chopped
1 celery stalk -- finely chopped
12 whole garlic cloves -- peeled
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence*
2 cups red Zinfandel
2 1/2 cups canned beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes in juice -- (14 1/2 ounce)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup water -- (about)
---------
24 baby carrots -- peeled
1/2 cup Niçois olives -- ** pitted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes

Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add ribs to pot and brown well, turning often, about 8 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer ribs to large bowl.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot or add oil as necessary to measure 2 tablespoons. Add onion, chopped carrot, and celery and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, flour, and herbes de Provence; stir 1 minute. Add wine and 2 cups broth; bring to boil over high heat, scraping up browned bits. Add tomatoes with juices and bay leaf. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot. If necessary, add enough water to pot to barely cover ribs. Bring to boil.

Cover pot tightly and transfer to oven. Bake until ribs are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, peeled baby carrots, and Niçois olives to pot; press carrots gently to submerge. Cover, return to oven and continue cooking at 350°F until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Transfer short ribs and carrots to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. If necessary, boil sauce to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over short ribs. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes.

* A dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some markets. A mix of dried thyme, basil, savory, and fennel seeds can be substituted.
** Small brine-cured black olives; available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.
Bon Appétit, January 2002

Notes:
"This sensational dish is best when made with meaty short ribs that are three to four inches long. Serve with a simple green salad and glasses of good Zinfandel." B.A.

Mine: Here was the hit of the evening!!! My butcher promised to get me beautiful short ribs and man, did he ever come thru!! Great make ahead dish - the day before. But, I cooked mine about 4 - 5 hours instead of two - I wanted the meat to come off the bone with just a 'tad' of pressure and to be melt in your mouth tender.

No one in this town could get me baby carrots (with their little tops...) unless I took a case, so I shredded some large carrots lengthwise (looking like carrot pasta) - I didn't want just old chunks of carrot. worked great. Also, no Nicois olive in this town - but Kalamatas worked fine. The sauce is just great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by cjs (Here's one and will ...)
These both sound great, thanks Jean!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
My sister and I are huge fans of Cristina Ferrare! I was heartbroken when she left Los Angeles' morning show and then her Home and Family show. Still get to see her every year on Thanksgiving though when she comes back to the morning show and does her turkey & sides and takes calls from viewers. Got my best mashed potato tip ever from her. OK, enough about Cristina - LOL.

Today my husband is making a big pot of marinara sauce and I've got some grilled chicken & mozzarella ravioli from Costco in the freezer. Probably a salad with it and maybe a baguette.

I have two short rib recipes that I really like too - let me dig them up.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by Trixxee (My sister and I are ...)
Here's one.

Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce
Bon Appétit | January 2003

Makes 4 servings.

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
8 3-inch-long meaty beef short ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1 14-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies*
3 large fresh Anaheim (California) chilies, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
Chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl; sprinkle all over short ribs. Place ribs on plate; cover and chill 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add half of ribs and brown on all sides, about 9 minutes; transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining ribs. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to same pot; cover and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and chipotle chilies. Return ribs to pot, meaty side down, in single layer. Bring to boil; cover and cook in oven until ribs are just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove pot from oven. Tilt pot; spoon off fat. Place pot over medium heat and simmer uncovered until sauce coats spoon and ribs are very tender, about 25 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes, refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.)
Bring ribs to simmer over medium heat; add chili rings.
Simmer until chilies soften, about 10 minutes. Transfer ribs and sauce to large bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro; garnish with lime wedges.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by Trixxee (Here's one.[br][br]B...)
Well, I don't seem to be able to find the other one.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, What Shall It Be?????? by cjs (Here's one and will ...)
I use a seasoned flour (black pepper, onion and garlic powder to taste), brown them in canola or peanut oil over medium high heat. Pour off excess fat and add a large can of tomatoes (any kind, break them up if they're whole) add 2 or 3 sliced yellow onions, 2 or 3 sliced garlic cloves a bay leaf and 1 1/2 bottles of dark beer - the other 1/2 bottle is for tasting to make sure it's good enough. You may add beef broth - just make sure they're covered. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. During the last 25-30 minutes throw in some peeled and quartered potatoes. My husband is on a low-sodium diet so I add no salt, but most do. These amounts are for 6-8 short ribs. Adjust if you are cooking less.

Sally
and roasted fingerling potatoes and a cucumber salad. I've got the flank steak marinating and I'll throw the sauce together when I get home. Or maybe I'll leave instructions for #1 son.

Sally
  Re: OOh I love short ribs by lxxf (I use a seasoned flo...)
Jean, you didn't post your Provencal recipe! and I have one we love with chipotles also. I'll try to find them and cut and paste!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.