Oven question
  Re: (...)
This doesn't qualify as a food question but it is definitely a kitchen question. I need some suggestions or ideas on how to make the racks in my oven move more smoothly. Whenever I'm cooking any think in a ban marie or baking a liquid filling in a pie, I spill the liquid because my racks move so "jerkily" (I'm not sure that's a word but it describes my problem.) I have tried rubbing an oily paper towel over them but it only helped one time.
Shirley
  Re: Oven question by smschwag (This doesn't qualify...)
How about trying a silicone spray on the racks?? The oil will congeal with the heat but the silicone moves much more freely---works for me! Good luck---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Oven question by smschwag (This doesn't qualify...)
Shirley, do your oven racks need to be cleaned or the side racks which hold them? That's what the problem was with my oven, despite being a "self-cleaner". I always remove the racks when I clean the oven and wash those by hand, using some oven cleaner if needed. A repair guy once told me that the heat causes the chrome to swell and become distorted which is why they no longer move as nice as they used to. If you have a self-cleaner, you may want to remove the racks next time. For now, check if there is baked on grease or other food "splashes" along the oven walls.

I would think twice about the silicone spray...food and general health safety....

Good luck!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Oven question by Roxanne 21 (How about trying a s...)
Sounds like a good idea, Roxanne! By silicone spray do you mean WD-40?
Shirley
  Re: Re: Oven question by MUSICMAKER (Shirley, do your ove...)
Linda,
I do have a self cleaning oven. I think they are clean but I usually leave them in when I clean the oven so what you said could be the problem. Next time I clean, I'll take them out and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Oven question by smschwag (Sounds like a good i...)
NO!!! There is a product that is used for cleaning stainless steel appliances, for lubrication of fine tuned mechanisms etc. It comes in a can similar to the cooking sprays....I find it in the oven cleaner section or the car product section of my market. It will say silicone on the packaging/can. Winflo is a great product if you can find it---smells like bubble gum
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
silicone spray do you mean WD-40?

I don't think I'd use that on them, as when the oven heats up, you'll get the residual stuff heating up. Lat time I cleaned the oven, I moisten paper towels with a bit of canola oil and the edges of the grates with it. Good luck.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

By silicone spray do you mean WD-40?

YIKES!!!! NO!!!!

Not unless you want an explosion or tremensous fire!!!

DO NOT put any CHEMICAL IN your oven!!! That's ASKING for trouble!!!

Unless someone comes up with another idea, LIVE WITH IT for now!!

Shirley, here's what I do, because I have the same problem. It's a PAIN, but, it works. And believe me, I have been searching and researching on this for a long time and have yet found any solution except for a new oven/stove....hummm, that may not be a bad idea!!

All joking aside, what I do is remove the food to another rack or set it on the oven door to keep by the heat and them remove the pan with the water, replace the food to the oven.

Just promise you will not go spraying anything in your oven...we want you back here, in one piece!

P.S. When you use your self clean cycle, when it is over, go back and check the side racks, if they are part of your oven (grooves in the side walls). If they are removable, remove them, too, before using the self clean cycle. If they are part of your oven, clean them by hand AFTER the self clean cycle, despite using it. You know how the oven feels kind of "gritty" after the cycle, and if you had anything goopy on spill over onto the bottom, you have "ash", which you have to clean out anyway??? There could be a buildup on your side racks as well and not just the oven racks.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Oven question by Roxanne 21 (NO!!! There is a p...)
Thanks Roxanne. I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow. I'll look for it.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Oven question by Lorraine (silicone spray do yo...)
Lorraine, thanks for warning me about the wd40. I tried the oil on the paper towel before and it only lasted one use of the oven. I think I will look for the spray that Roxanne recommended and see how that works.
Shirley