Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ?
  Re: (...)
I sure could use your help. My husband and I have subscribed to Cuisine at Home for several years and have loaned copies of our magazines to friends. As luck would have it, tonight he'd like to have a recipe out of a magazine that's out on loan. It's for an oriental "salad" with shrimp. I believe it may have been in Issue #57. The salad components included lettuce, bean sprouts, carrot sticks, etc. The shrimp were marinated and then lightly sauteed (I think). I can throw together the salad items, but would love to get my hands on the recipe for the marinade and salad dressing (also oriental). Thanks!
  Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by 4Soggy (I sure could use you...)
Welcome, soggy, to the forum - love the name...

Is it this one?

Spring Roll Salad with Red Curry Sauce
(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 13)

Makes: About 7 cups Total Time: About 40 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Shrimp—
Marinate:
3/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 t. red curry paste
1 t. sugar
1 t. vegetable oil
Pinch of salt

For the Vinaigrette—
Combine; Whisk in:
3 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. sugar
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
2 t. fish sauce
2 t. chili garlic sauce
2 T. vegetable oil

For the Salad—
Soak; Drain and Rinse:
2 oz. dry rice noodles

Prepare; Add:
3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
1/2 cup carrot, julienned
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, sliced into half-moons
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
Softened rice noodles

Saute in 1 T. Vegetable Oil; Assemble Salad with:
Marinated shrimp
Crispy Wontons, optional
Chopped peanuts
Prepared vinaigrette

Marinate shrimp with curry paste, sugar, oil, and salt for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette and salad components.

Combine lime juice, sugar, ginger, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce for the vinaigrette in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and set aside.

Soak noodles in boiling water until soft, 3–4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water, pulling apart any clumped noodles with your fingers.

Prepare vegetables and herbs for the salad, keeping each separate.

Saute marinated shrimp in oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook on both sides until firm, about 5 minutes total. Assemble salads, dividing components between two plates. Top with shrimp, wontons, and peanuts, then toss with vinaigrette to taste.

----

and there is a lite version also -

Spring Roll Salad & Red Curry Shrimp
(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 13)

Makes: About 7 Cups Total Time: About 40 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Shrimp—
Marinate:
3/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 t. red curry paste
1 t. sugar
Pinch of salt

For the Vinaigrette—
Combine; Whisk in:
3 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. sugar
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
2 t. fish sauce
2 t. chili garlic sauce
1 T. vegetable oil

For the Salad—
Soak; Drain and Rinse:
2 oz. dry rice noodles

Prepare; Add:
3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
1/2 cup carrot, julienned
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, sliced into half-moons
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
Softened rice noodles

Saute in 1 T. Vegetable Oil; Assemble Salad with:
Marinated shrimp
Crispy Wontons, optional
Chopped peanuts
Prepared vinaigrette

Marinate shrimp with curry paste, sugar, and salt for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette and salad components.

Combine lime juice, sugar, ginger, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce for the vinaigrette in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and set aside.

Soak noodles in boiling water until soft, 3–4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water, pulling apart any clumped noodles with your fingers.

Prepare vegetables and herbs for the salad, keeping each separate.

Saute marinated shrimp in oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook on both sides until firm, about 5 minutes total. Assemble salads, dividing components between two plates. Top with shrimp, wontons, and peanuts, then toss with vinaigrette to taste.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
142 calories 29% calories from fat 5g total fat 14g carb. 225mg sodium 1g fiber 11g protein
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by cjs (Welcome, soggy, to t...)
YES!!!! That's it!!! Thank you soooo much!! You've saved my from the improvisations of my well-intentioned husband! Ha!

4Soggy is the pronounciation of my last name - Forshage. It's said like four soggy biscuits. Sounding it out like this just makes it easier on everyone!

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving!

Darlene Forshage
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by 4Soggy (YES!!!! That's it!!...)
You also have a great Thanksgiving and I'm sure I speak for all when I say we hope you'll come around again and share this wonderful forum with us!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by 4Soggy (YES!!!! That's it!!...)
Welcome Darlene! Darn, I was betting there was an interesting story behind that name and I couldn't wait for someone to tease it out of you. I always wondered what it would be like to have an interesting name...Cotton just doesn't do it Enjoy your Thanksgiving and please come on back.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by 4Soggy (I sure could use you...)
Welcome, Darlene, and have a wonderful Turkey Day!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by pjcooks (Welcome, Darlene, an...)
Hi Darlene and welcome to the forum. Come back and join us often, there is a nice group of people here.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by Mare749 (Hi Darlene and welco...)
never did make this one either - doesn't it sound good?

Well, just looked it up and I did make it - 5/31/06 and I made a note on it, "pretty good - probably not a repeat."

if I delete this post, will this thread then go back into hibernation?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by cjs (never did make this ...)
Almost seems too "busy" on the palate. I don't say that often but there is a lot going on in this one.

Now a nice Vietnamese Mint Spring Roll sounds wonderful. Every time I see the word spring roll I think of a place that was near 19th Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix...a little Mom & Pop Vietnamese place with the BEST Mint Spring Rolls. Oh the flavours are almost back on the tongue now just thinking about it. Been nearly 15 years since I had one...gotta go find a recipe.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Does anyone remember this recipe . . . ? by cjs (never did make this ...)
This is very similar to a Thai or Vietnamese noodle bowl. In the vinagarette you can substitute red pepper flakes for the chili paste. I like it better with the cucumers julienned. In place of the shrimp, you can use small, deep fried or baked spring rolls, thinly sliced stir-fried beef or pork, or even tofu or coconut chicken. One of my restaurant favorites was made with stuffed chicken wing drumettes. One of the important things in making this at home is getting really fresh bean sprouts that have a good crunch to them. I've found the best place to get them is at an oriental grocery because they have good turnover in their supplies. The rice noodles are also cheaper there.