I Are A "Flexitarian" !
  Re: (...)
This was an interesting read in my Sante newsletter this a.m. I guess as far as eating out goes, I really am a Flexitarian - we've really changed our eating out habits over the last couple of years.

More Diners Moving Toward "Flexitarian" Diet
Many of today's diners have moved to a diet somewhere in the middle of vegetarian and meat eater. The new trend, called "flexitarian," shows consumers sometimes eating vegetarian-style meals and sometimes eating meat. When choosing a carnivorous meal, however, those eating a flexitarian diet are consuming smaller portions of meat and adding lots of side vegetables for bulk. The trend is growing so fast that it has even landed a definition on the popular Wikipedia Web site: "Flexitarianism is a term used to describe the practice of eating mainly vegetarian food, but making occasional exceptions for social, pragmatic, cultural, or nutritional reasons. They may eat meat and/or other animal products sometimes." From Sante newsletter

Plates are so large that you have to take some of it home (not going to waste all those $$$$), but I don't want to eat like that (too darn rich and fat) two nights in a row, so we go for appeitizers, salads, pastas etc. I can't remember the last time we ordered a meat entree - full dinner.

Anyone else modifying their eating out habits? On second thought, this holds true in home entertaining also - I sure don't offer the dinners I used to.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I Are A "Flexitarian" ! by cjs (This was an interest...)
I guess we are Flexitarians and didn't even know it!

I grew up vegetarian and my teenager has been a vegetarian for a long time. We try to eat meatless dinners at least twice a week supplementing meals with tofu and tvp.

Now my teen has recently switched to veganism
This is much harder for me to adapt to. I just cannot cut out eggs and dairy. This Thanksgiving it will be very hard for her to find something to eat.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I Are A "Flexitarian" ! by luvnit (I guess we are Flexi...)
We've taken to sharing. Last weekend we went to one restaurant we like a lot, we shared an appetizer and a salad and had an entree apiece. I ordered sea scallops and there were only three so I didn't feel overstuffed. Sometimes we each order an appetizer and a salad and split an entree. It's still expensive. We each had a cocktail and a glass of wine and the bill was over $100.
  Re: Sort of by lxxf (We've taken to shari...)
exactly!! We share a lot also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sort of by lxxf (We've taken to shari...)
That's an interesting term, Jean, and I guess it would apply to us as well. Ron has always been the "meat and potatoes" man, and while the girls were growing up, that's mainly how our meals were planned. That has all changed and evolved over the years and we now eat a lot more vegetables, soups and salads.

We also share meals when we go out and it works out well for us so that we can have more of a variety of dishes from soup to dessert. We usually take dessert home with us, (only 1) to be enjoyed later in the evening with a cup of coffee or tea.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sort of by Mare749 (That's an interestin...)
We don't go out very often - miss that expendable income! - but when we do it's usually Mexican. The last time we got 1 appy and entrees for each of us. Bob also got soup. The appy (chile d'arbol wings) was huge - and we took that and half our entree home. Leftover Mexican is my fave for breakfast!!! For dinner the next night we had a huge salad and the leftover wings.

We do that often - share a steak and a HUGE salad. Sunday night we just made "nachos" out of pita chips with sliced red onion, black olives, feta cheese, some turkey pepperoni, and some cheddar and queso fresco on top. It wasn't huge - but it was all we wanted.

With Jennifer here we're eating a lot more chicken and turkey. She's only here for a real dinner once or twice a week on her days off.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sort of by Harborwitch (We don't go out very...)
back to the basics...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Are A "Flexitarian" ! by cjs (back to the basics.....)
I do a double thang---Peter is a huge CARNIVORE and I'm the veggie---so I try to do something that will please both of us---NOT difficult!!! He is becoming a great fan of veggies---which I am pleased with---I am serving more of the fish/chicken and avoiding red meats--however, he does lust for a rare steak and lamb at times---and yes---I give in!!! LOVES his turkey though---some good things coming up in the next few days---nice to not have to be too creative!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: I Are A "Flexitarian" ! by Roxanne 21 (I do a double thang-...)
Rox, I was thinking more of how our eating out has changed...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Are A "Flexitarian" ! by cjs (Rox, I was thinking ...)
When eating out with Jean and Roy eating out of each other's plate is a natural thing to do. You each order something different (if possible) and then share.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy