Cleaning tip
  Re: (...)
As we're preparing our holiday feasts, either Thanksgiving or Christmas, it's time to clean the chandalier. I inherited a very ornate crystal one from my parents, it must have at least 500 crystals in it. We had always taken it apart, after making a map of where to rehang everything, washed the crystals in a strainer with dishwashing liquid and hand dried them. It took at least 4 hours, but it's well worth the effort because it really sparkles when it's clean, but I always had crystals left over.

I was discussing this with one of my friends and she shared her method. She makes a solution of equal parts ammonia and rubbing alcohol, places it in a long, narrow container and dips the crystals in it. The alcohol helps it to dry quickly. I modified this slightly. I used a champagne glass with that solution and removed the strings and dangles, dipped them in and then dried them and put them back. No leftover crystals and it shines just as brightly.

Sally
  Re: Cleaning tip by lxxf (As we're preparing o...)
Wow, sounds pretty Sally. I always wondered how people cleaned those huge chandeliers and figured they must dip them in something. Hope it cuts down your cleaning time. Thanks for the tip, not sure what I'll use it for, but you never know.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
it must have at least 500 crystals in it.

I bought a bunch of chrystals when i lived in another city. Hung them all at different lenthgs in a southern window. When the sun came in, it was incredible. OK, it was 35 years ago.

Good for you for cleaning it!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
That's a good idea to apply to other cleaning nightmares, too. This should cut your cleaning time by half, I'd say. It must be a beautiful chandalier.

Enjoy your holiday!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cleaning tip by pjcooks (That's a good idea t...)
Of course, if you have had your good silver squirrelled away, and plan on using it for Thanksgiving, don't forget about good, old baking soda.

Just line the bottom of a Pyrex (or other heat-proof, non-metallic) dish or bowl with aluminum foil, shiny side up. Put some boiling water into the bowl, then add some baking soda (using a ratio of 1 cup baking soda per gallon of water), and stir to dissolve well. It may froth when you add it. Then, submerge the silver item you wish to clean, and make sure it contacts the aluminum foil. In almost no time, like magic, the tarnish will disappear, leaving wonderful, sparkling silver. Just dry and buff it with a soft cloth. :-)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cleaning tip by labradors (Of course, if you ha...)
Years ago in Illinois, we had a huge chandelier in the dining room and thank God the former owner told me her secret for cleaning it. Spread a sheet over the floor (after moving the table/chairs), spray with a solution and let drip on the sheet - it came out looking and shining brand new. It was so easy.

I can't remember the name of the product but, I'm sure it would be 'findable.' Worked like a charm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cleaning tip by cjs (Years ago in Illinoi...)
it's not quite the same. This one is large but not overwhelming, so while it's a chore it's manageable.