Happy Thanksgiving To Us All!
  Re: (...)
I don't get to cook this year, leaving town today to spend a couple days with friends, but...I do get to do brunch tomorrow - it's our 39th anniversary and I wanted to do SOMETHING special for us, and our host very nicely agreed.

I'm making -
Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Cuisine, issue 54)
Crab & Potato Cakes (posted) with three sauces (Southwestern Cranberry Salsa, Dijon Cream Sauce & Remoulade)
Prosciutto Wrapped Cirica
and dessert will be a cheese platter - including the Fromage Fort (from the freezer)
and two bottles of champagne

then Bill, our host, will take over the kitchen - he sometimes lets me help him....

Hope everyone has a great holiday and the food we'll all be making will be scrumptious!! (wouldn't it be fun to get together and do a humungous buffet?????

And I hope we all give thanks in our own way...one of my thanks will be for all you wonderful friends here on C@H.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by cjs (I don't get to cook ...)
We are doing the following
Pepin Roasted Capon w/gravey
Peppered City Ham (purchased from Burgers)
Black eyed peas
Mustard greens
Cornbread/tortilla dressing (Dean Fearing recipe)
S/W cranberry sauce
Apple Pie/crumble topping

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Old Bay & Mrs. Old Bay
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by Old Bay (We are doing the fol...)
It will just be four of us for Thanksgiving dinner this year. On a couple of occasions we've made something other than turkey... the year we were in the middle of moving I grilled steaks, and another year when the older son was in culinary school he made a leg of lamb for us. The younger two kids who will be home for the dinner this year asked me not to do that again ...So we're making a very traditional midwestern fare ...

Roasted turkey (on the grill because my oven is unreliable)
Gravy from C@H Issue 18
Mashed potatoes
Herbed stuffing (and lots of it!)
Green beans almondine
Jellied Cranberry sauce (Canned Ocean Spray brand, sliced in circles)
Ripe olives (for the children who used "wear" them on their fingers)
Home made whole wheat dinner rolls
Pumpkin pie

Planning for our traditional leftovers as well, to include turkey noodle soup, turkey divan, turkey pot pie, and perhaps this year I'll try making Hot Browns because we should have plenty of leftover meat.

May your Thanksgiving be spent with family and friends and wishing you all good eating!
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by HomeCulinarian (It will just be four...)
We're going to help a friend do dinner at Brookhaven House. It's a place where unwed girls who've decided to keep their babies can go. We're planning a very traditional menu of turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato pie etc. There'll be four little babies there for me to play with, how fun!!
Cis
Wishing a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to our foodie family
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by farnfam (We're going to help ...)
We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my inlaws house this year. My mother-in-law makes the best T-day dinner on the planet! Of course, we all help and take side dishes and desserts. Mom will be roasting the biggest turkey she can find, complete with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams, green beans, cranberry sauce, fruit salad, homemade rolls and pumpkin pie. She is also roasting a ham because she will be having company for a few days.

On Saturday, we are having a surprise baby shower for my niece, who is coming in from out of town for the weekend.
So, we will be cooking and feasting all over again. For this party, I am taking Chef Jean's famous meatballs with dill sauce, and also the makings for faux champagne, two recipes that have become favorites in our family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. You guys are the best! And last, but not least, I would like to wish Jean and Roy a very happy anniversary!

Maryann
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by Mare749 (We are having Thanks...)
Sounds like you folks will all be eating very well! In honour of your Thanksgiving, I'm cooking 2 chicken breasts, stove top stuffing (quit smirking), mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoe (for me) and braised brussel sprouts with prosciutto. Happy Thanksgiving!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by Lorraine (Sounds like you folk...)
My best wishes for all for a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

I am doing the usual traditional New England THANG (: laugh: )

Turkey (a 15 pounder--biggest I could find---and it's a Jennie-O!!!!)
Herb stuffing
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows--the sweet for the sweet!!
Potato puff
Turnip puff
Peas with a bit of mint
Gravy---homemade, of course
Cranberry sauce
Pecan pie
Apple pie
Ice cream--if wanted or whipped cream

Even though we are VERY FAR away---we like to celebrate the holiday because all of the family has contact and we miss it sooooo!!! I used to do the HUGE family get together--kinda missing that. Next year, maybe

We have invited a few friends (South African) for the dinner----they always turn their noses up when I say "come for turkey"-----they are used to dried out yuk!! Then we have to roll them out the door!!!!

We hope you all have a very happy, pleasant day with friends and family----keep safe and healthy!!! This is one day we can indulge and not feel too guilty???

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JEAN AND ROY!!!! May you have many more!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by Roxanne 21 (My best wishes for a...)
We're off to a friend's house. She's a fabulous cook - she can cook just about anything except mashed potatoes. So I'm bringing that and 4 lbs of shrimp for an appetizer and I just had to make those blue cheese grapes. I've got about 30 of them in the fridge. I need to use a stronger blue cheese next time, but they are yummy.

Sally
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by lxxf (We're off to a frien...)
This will be the first year ever that Bob and I are going to be alone! Wow!

The turkey (21 lbs) is in the cider brine, the bread is all dried and ready for the dressing, the pumpkin is roasted and pureed - ready for pumpkin pie (or cheesecake), the cranberries are in the oven (Bourbon Cranberries), and the stock for the gravy is simmering away.

The menu - so far is:
Cider brined turkey
Roasted Parsnips, sweet potatoes, and carrots
Mashed potatoes with cider gravy
Cranberry poblano dressing
Home made Custard Rich Rolls
and something pumpkin.

There's a lot to be thankful for this year including all of the great friends here at C@H. I wish you all could be here - there's certainly enough food!!

Happy Anniversary Jean & Roy!! I hope you have a fantastic day - and your brunch sounds soooo good.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving To Us All! by Harborwitch (This will be the fir...)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - we will have a traditional dinner
and will have about 15 all total.

my daughter will be cooking as I will work part of the day -
So here first time cooking a big meal - I have got most every thing made
and hope for the best ! the dil will work on table decoration ! so
we are looking forward to a wonderful day with good friends and family.
our best to the foodie friends.
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.