Experiment for YOU.....
  Re: (...)
Y'all know I'm still trying to make a Rye bread similar to Sharon's without a bread machine. So, I've been looking at different recipes, many, many recipes. I just remembered I had "Beard On Bread" in my collection and went browsing. Like Jean, I am not a baker [except cakes], but I found a couple that sounds real good for those that LIKE to bake. Here's the first one, any one game?:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Bread

Recipe By :James Beard
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/8 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon salt
2 tbsps & 1 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon instant coffee
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (100° to 115°, approximately)
2 cups rye (dark) flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
additional flour for kneading
1 large egg white beaten with 2 Tbsps water

Add the cornmeal to the cold water and mix well. Pour into boiling water and stir until thickened. When it is thickened and bubbly, stir in the butter, salt, sugar, caraway seeds, cocoa, and instant coffee.

Dissolve the yeast in warm water, add to the mixture, and stir well. Blend in the flours, adding more liquid if necessary, and stir until you have a fairly sticky dough. Turn out on a floured board and knead, adding more flour if nessary, to make a firm, elastic dough. Form into a ball and place in a well-buttered bowl, turning to coat with butter on all sides. Put in a warm, draft-free spot to rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down the dough and knead for two or three minutes. Form into two ballls, and either shape into free-form loaves or roll and fit into two bread pans 8- x 4- x 2-inches. Allow to rise until almost doubled in bulk. Brush the bread with the beaten egg white and cold water and bake at 375° for 50 to 60 minutes or until the bread taps hollow. If you have doubts about whether it is done, let it bake longer. This loaf is better a little overdone than underdone.

NOTE: If the bread is to be baked in round free-form loaves, arrange on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and place a flan ring or other guard around the dough to prevent its spreading too much; or let the loaves rise in 8-inch pie tins or skillets and then turn out onto the baking sheet or directly onto oven tiles just before baking.

Yield:
"2 loaves"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Experiment for YOU..... by bjcotton (Y'all know I'm still...)
Geez, Billy. You know me and breadmaking. I'll it for Jean and the others.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Experiment for YOU..... by Lorraine (Geez, Billy. You kn...)
We made loaves similar to this in school but we did them on stones instead of pans. This is a great bread to serve with navy bean soup
Billy, I respect you so much--look at my moniker--Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy (magic)--I have never been a success-- O , but Jane can bake!! TG. I'll see she sees this.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Ooooh! I just made a loaf of black bread yesterday - but this sounds sooooo good. I'll try this one next.

A good black bread is really hard to find. In my family the after Thanksgiving feast was lovely sandwiches made on black bread, mayo on one side, cream cheese on the other, sliced red onion and turkey. Bob is thinking about smearing some bouron cranberry sauc on his!

Thanks Billy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Experiment for YOU..... by Harborwitch (Ooooh! I just made ...)
Thanks y'all! Bill, I feel the same way. But, we got Jane and Sharon, so we can sit back and relax
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Experiment for YOU..... by bjcotton (Thanks y'all! Bill,...)
that sounds close to my pumpernickle bread...love it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Experiment for YOU..... by cjs (that sounds close to...)
I'll post mine later - we tasted it alongside the dark rye (could not find "black" bread anywhere) that we got. Mine was not as "soft" - a little more dense, with a better chew. I'm really having a ball with all this bread baking.

Next "rye" bread's going to be this recipe Bill.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Experiment for YOU..... by Harborwitch (I'll post mine later...)
An 'anon' was looking over this thread and I didn't make pumpernickel bread all winter......maybe I'll add it to the list for spring.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com