Custard Rich Rolls
  Re: (...)
I've been looking for this recipe for ages, I lost the recipe card years ago. A very nice gentleman on the CCOA forum found it in his collection for me.

My Mom used to make these and I made them frequently for holiday dinners. They are sooo good, and impossible to screw up. The recipe has been modified over the years to use vanilla pudding mix - because it is bloody hard to find "egg custard" mix. I found a Mexican flan mix and just saved the caramel sauce for another use. One box is enough for 2 batches.

Custard Rich Rolls

1 Cup Warm Milk 80F
1/4 Cup Water, warm 80F
1/4 Cup Butter Softened
1 Egg
1 tsp Salt
4 Cups Bread Flour
1/4 Cup Vanilla Pudding mix or egg custard or flan mix
1 Tbl Sugar
1 Tbl Instant Dry Yeast

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. After five minutes of mixing add 1 to 2 Tbl Water or Flour(whichever is needed).
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Form into rolls, place into pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place. About 1 hour.
Bake in a pre-heated oven 350F for 20 -25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for five minutes. Coat top with melted butter. Serve
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Custard Rich Rolls by Harborwitch (I've been looking fo...)
Okay, I'm gonna give these a try tonight. I was just wondering what size pan you are using? Do you top them with anything like sesame seeds or poppy? Just curious
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by luvnit (Okay, I'm gonna give...)
I used a 9 x 13 pan and just brushed the tops with melted butter. These are my favorite rolls in the world I think!
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by Harborwitch (I used a 9 x 13 pan ...)
Actually it's kinda funny. I was walking through the grocery store and was in the mexican food aisle and saw the 'flan' box. I knew there was a recipe I wanted to try with that came from this forum. I could not for the life of me remember it! I bought the flan mix anyway and went on blind faith that I could figure it out when I got home. Thank goodness I did.

These rolls sound yummy Thanks for sharing.
Laura
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by luvnit (Actually it's kinda ...)
Funny how our brains work, or in my case: sometimes work! The rolls used to be made with an egg custard mix that is no longer sold. Jello had an Americana custard mix - but you can only get it online I hear. The flan mix is perfect - I saved the "carmel" and used it in some apples for pancakes Saturday.

Enjoy!
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by Harborwitch (Funny how our brains...)
I will save the carmel mix. I am sure it won't go to waste. These rolls just sound so delicious. Can't wait to try them!
Laura
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by luvnit (I will save the carm...)
These do sound good, and I have the flan mix on hand to use in them. I'm going to surprise my hubbie with these when he gets home Saturday night. Thanks Sharon!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by Mare749 (These do sound good,...)
You're welcome! Enjoy!
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by Harborwitch (You're welcome! Enj...)
Oh No!!!!!! I have no eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I will have to make these tomorrow! Doggone it.
Laura
  Re: Re: Custard Rich Rolls by luvnit (Oh No!!!!!! I have n...)
No eggs!!

Somewhere today I saw a recipe for "rolls" - she didn't have enough flour. . . . used. . . . . wait. . . . wait. . . . cake mix!!! Uh, yellow cake mix! They even looked good - but I'm not sure.