New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ??
  Re: (...)
Ok, this is a long shot, but hoping someone can help! Back in 2001 I printed a recipe off of Cuisine's site for New York Cheesecake. To this day it was the best Cheesecake recipe I have found. I have searched through the recipe archives several times and have been unable to find. I have the last two pages I printed out years ago, but not the front page with the recipe!

If memory serves me correctly it called for 6 packages of cream cheese, not as much sugar as most cheesecake recipes call for, and toasted pecans in the crust!

Any chance anyone knows where I could find this?

Thanks!
  Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by TraceyF (Ok, this is a long s...)
Makes: One 8" Cake Total Time: 3 - 3 1/4 Hours Rating: Intermediate

Combine; Reserve 2 T:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans

Add; Press into Bottom of Pan:
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 T. sugar

Cream Together:
7 pkgs. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia® cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 T. vanilla

Add One at a Time:
4 eggs

Blend in:
1/2 cup sour cream

Bake at 300°.

Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on baking sheet for 15 min., or until golden. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.

Combine cracker crumbs and pecans in food processor until fine. Set aside 2 T.

Add butter and sugar to processor. Pulse to blend. Spray sides and bottom of cake pan with Pam®. Trace and cut out round of parchment to fit pan. Line bottom with parchment circle. Spray parchment and sides again. Make sure the pan is greased well so the cake doesn’t stick to the sides and crack during baking. Sprinkle reserved 2 T. crumbs around sides of pan. Tilt and tap pan to distribute crumbs evenly. It’ll be a light dusting of crumbs. With rubber spatula, press remaining crumb-butter mixture onto bottom of pan. Begin heating water for water bath.

Cream together cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing so that no lumps remain.

Blend in sour cream. Mix just to blend. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing to remove lumps.

Bake at 300° for 2–2 1/4 hrs. or until top is golden and cake is set around edges. It’ll be jiggly in the center but will cook while it cools. Remove cake from roaster and set on cooling rack. Run knife around sides to loosen. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. To unmold, run knife around sides again. Place inverted plate on cake and flip. Rap plate on counter and lift pan, shaking gently to release. Remove parchment from crust. Place serving plate on crust and invert again. Carefully remove top plate.
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by DFen911 (Makes: One 8" Cake T...)
Yes this is the BEST cheesecake recipe ever! We've made it as a special dessert ever since it first came out in 1998. Hubby made it for my birthday earlier this month.

Note tho in a subsequent issue, the cream cheese mixture was adjusted because the original recipe made way more filling than needed...

Adjust to
6 pkgs cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
2 t vanilla
3 eggs
1/3 c sour cream

Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

The raspberry glaze is excellent, too.

It's 14 oz frozen red raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 cup red wine, 10 oz jar red currant jelly. Combine raspberries, sugar and wine in sauce pan over medium heat. Crush thawed raspberries with back of a spoon. Strain the raspberry juice through a fine sieve, discard seeds. Return juice to sacuepan and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes until reduced to 1/2 cup. Wisk in currant jelly until melted. Cool to room temp.

The suggestion is to use 1/4 cup of the raspberry glaze on top of cheese cake leaving a 1/2" margin around edge. Randomly arrange 3 cups assorted fresh berries on top. It's pictured on the back of issue no. 9. Love it!!!
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by DFen911 (Makes: One 8" Cake T...)
Hey Denise, bravo. You copied it all those years ago too huh?

I love to make cheesecakes. The only problem is nobody else here likes them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by bjcotton (Hey Denise, bravo. ...)
How can you not like cheesecake?! My co-worker hates cheesecake. I asked if he had ever tried it and he said no. So how can he hate it?!

And Billy I wish could say I had But alas no...I got it from the members plus side and it showed the original publication date of 1999 and I read it was republished again later on another site so figured it was the right one.

My all time favorite - Pumpkin Cheesecake MMmmMmmm
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by HomeCulinarian (Yes this is the BEST...)
Quote:

Note tho in a subsequent issue, the cream cheese mixture was adjusted because the original recipe made way more filling than needed...

Yes, but when it was REprinted several years later, the recipe KEPT the 7 packages of 8 oz cream cheese and a larger springform PAN was used....a 4" deep vs. 3" deep.....
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by TraceyF (Ok, this is a long s...)
Well, Tracey, this is certainly one (of a very few!) of the recipe corrections not handled very well by Cuisine, in my opinion -

This is all I could find on the cheesecake and the corrections -

New York Cheesecake
(Cuisine, June 1998, Issue 9, p. 42)
8” cake
Combine; Reserve 2 T:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans

Add; Press into Bottom of Pan:
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 T. sugar

Cream Together:
7 pkgs. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia® cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 T. vanilla

Add One at a Time:
4 eggs

Blend in:
1/2 cup sour cream

Bake at 300°.

Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on baking sheet for 15 min., or until golden. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.

Combine cracker crumbs and pecans in food processor until fine. Set aside 2 T.

Add butter and sugar to processor. Pulse to blend. Spray sides and bottom of cake pan with Pam®. Trace and cut out round of parchment to fit pan. Line bottom with parchment circle. Spray parchment and sides again. Make sure the pan is greased well so the cake doesn’t stick to the sides and crack during baking. Sprinkle reserved 2 T. crumbs around sides of pan. Tilt and tap pan to distribute crumbs evenly. It’ll be a light dusting of crumbs. With rubber spatula, press remaining crumb-butter mixture onto bottom of pan. Begin heating water for water bath.

Cream together cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing so that no lumps remain.

Blend in sour cream. Mix just to blend. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing to remove lumps.

Bake at 300° for 2–2 1/4 hrs. or until top is golden and cake is set around edges. It’ll be jiggly in the center but will cook while it cools. Remove cake from roaster and set on cooling rack. Run knife around sides to loosen. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. To unmold, run knife around sides again. Place inverted plate on cake and flip. Rap plate on counter and lift pan, shaking gently to release. Remove parchment from crust. Place serving plate on crust and invert again. Carefully remove top plate.
----
and this question shows up -

Q. Where do I buy the 8" x 3 1/2" pan to make the New York Cheesecake featured in Issue 9? Your source, Sur La Table, doesn’t carry one that size anymore.

A. You’ll definitely need a pan with a lot of room for that cheesecake. But remember, use the correct size — 8" x 3 1/2".

We ordered our pan from the N.Y. Cake & Baking Distributor. Call them at (800) 942-2539. The item number is PRD835, and you should expect to pay about $8.50 for the pan.

-----

and then this one - I probably would not have seen either!

Q. I was excited to see the New York Cheesecake featured in Issue 9. I followed the recipe exactly, but had extra batter. What went wrong?

A. Gina from New York and other loyal readers called me about their problem. My head’s hanging so low in shame, I can hardly type this apology.

I inadvertently gave you the wrong pan dimensions—the right size should’ve read 8" across by 3 1/2" high, not 3".

-----

Baker that I'm not, I'd probably have a couple mini-cheesecake pans handy for the 'overflow' and not mess with the filling quantities.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow, I can't thank you all enough for posting! I didn't think I would be able to find this recipe again. Over the last two years I've tried out other cheesecake recipes, but in my opinion, this one is much better.
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by TraceyF (Wow, I can't thank y...)
...and now we've inundated you with the recipe!! By the way, welcome to Cuisine forum and hope you'll visit often. Great group of folks around here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New York Cheesecake from Cuisine mag ?? by cjs (...and now we've inu...)
Thanks for the welcome and for inundating me with the recipe! Glad to have found this site!