Thai Chili Powder Condiment
  Re: (...)
Again, I come begging for help.... never DID find that danged Thai Oil and they wouldn't even respond to my second letter. Anyway, this is another Thai query... two, actually

1) I've dined in a large number of Thai restaurants and many of them have a condiments tray that includes a dry mixture of spices... I call it Thai Chili powder out of ignorance, as I do not know the name and the wait persons never seem willing to give it up. (maybe they just don't understand me) Anyway, it's a reddish brown... looks like a good bbq rub but is much hotter. I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a general idea what to look for in my cookbooks or online. Of course, the recipe would be wonderful

2) I have an old Thai book that calls for Kaffir Lime Rind, yet no Asian market I've ever been in seems to have it. I can find the leaves, but not the lime rind. Soooo, if any of you kind souls have a notion I'd appreciate a response.

For the VERY few of you with whom I've corresponded, I just won a lil contest with my smoked chili. My bride of more years than I care to admit to, even likes it (make that loves it) and this is the first time in all of those years she would ever eat chili. She said she just had to try it, cuz it smelled so good.

Thanks for any assistance y'all might provide.

Sincerely,

-Richard
Keep your lid closed, your coals hot, and your smoke wispy.
  Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Richard (Again, I come beggin...)
Quote:

1) I've dined in a large number of Thai restaurants and many of them have a condiments tray that includes a dry mixture of spices... I call it Thai Chili powder out of ignorance, as I do not know the name and the wait persons never seem willing to give it up. (maybe they just don't understand me) Anyway, it's a reddish brown... looks like a good bbq rub but is much hotter. I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a general idea what to look for in my cookbooks or online. Of course, the recipe would be wonderful

Richard it is most probably Thai Curry

Combination of, Thai Red chilli, (usually red bird pepper) onion, garlic, galanga, lemongrass, kaffir peel, and salt.

There are about 10 different Thai Curries, but only one that is burnt brownish red and would be complete as a powder. The other red Thai curry has shrimp paste in them and could not be a powder.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Quote:

2) I have an old Thai book that calls for Kaffir Lime Rind, yet no Asian market I've ever been in seems to have it. I can find the leaves, but not the lime rind. Soooo, if any of you kind souls have a notion I'd appreciate a response.

Richard,

"Lemon myrtle" is your best substitute if you can not get the real lime. Second best choice is the zest of Key Limes.

You making Tom Yam from scratch?
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Do you have a Home Depot near?? They can order Kaffir lime trees from a supplier out here. We had one until the heat storm a few years ago - the rind is amazing stuff! It's so oily and intensely lime that it drives me nuts. I hope to order a new tree soon - and we'll keep it indoors so that it doesn't freeze or roast. It's so nice to have the fresh leaves and the juice from the limes isn't bad either.

Penzey's has a wonderful Bangkok Blend - that is an excellent Thai seasoning if you can't get all the other ingredients locally.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I make nearly everything from scratch... I even roast my own dried chile peppers to get them dry enough to make my own chili powder. I'm from a small town in central IL with one grocer, so I find that making my own things has advantages. Years ago, I was given a China Moon cookbook and am not afraid to experiment and make a lot of different oils, vinegars, spice mixtures, etc. Also, as a chili and BBQ lover, experimentation is the only way to go. As for Tom Yam, I am more prone to make Tom Kha Gai. The Kaffir lime is used in every Thai Curry paste in my Thai books. The powder I asked about is just something I'd like to make to sprinkle on dishes to add a little heat. Thank you so very much for all of your assistance.

Sincerely,

-Richard
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Harborwitch (Do you have a Home D...)
Thank you very much. I would have never even considered "domesticating" a lime tree, as I presumed they would grow too tall and citrus cannot survive Illinois weather.I'll be calling my Home Depot in the morning.

As for Penzey's Bankok Blend, I have some, it's just not quite right. Actually, my bride wants to know what of Penzey's I DON'T have. They're rather remarkable. Next time I go "Thai" I'm taking along a little snack baggie to liberate some of that powder so I can experiment at home. Maybe a little of this and a little of that added to Penzey's and I'll have something.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

-Richard
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Richard (Thank you very much....)
Richard my Kaffir never got over 4' from the top of the pot. If you have good light inside I'd keep it indoors. They buy from Fourwindsgrowers - perhaps there you can buy direct (fourwindsgrowers.com). I really find it hard to cook great Thai without my tree!

The next time I go to our Asian supermarket (and I mean this thing is HUGE!!) I'll see what they have in the dry spice area.

Do you have "Hot Sour Salty Sweet"? It's an amazing Thai cookbook that I (IMHO) think every lover of Thai food should own.
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Harborwitch (Richard my Kaffir ne...)
I never said I did "great" Thai , but when you get NO Thai, even my poor efforts seem pretty great. None of my family shares my adventurous spirit in the kitchen, though my bride admits that "some of those weird cuisines have some good stuff".

Looks as though I can have my own lil tree for the price of a decent paring knife... so thank you again. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they recommend... I have plenty of light via a West facing glass wall.

Sincerely,

-Richard
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Richard (I never said I did "...)
Glad I could help! Any Thai is "great" compared to NONE!

Have fun with your Thai cooking! It's so wonderful and comforting - my husband was stationed in Thailand and dearly loves the food.
  Re: Re: Thai Chili Powder Condiment by Harborwitch (Glad I could help! ...)
Sharon, didn't I give you some of your Kaffir seeds back?? Did they not take? My precious little seeds that I was so carefully drying got dumped but some mindless person....

I love Thai also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com