Best yet easy holiday party recipes?
  Re: (...)
We're having a holiday party this Saturday, and are going to supply some basics - ham, turkey, mac & cheese, veggie tray, but I'd love to add some unique, yet easy (too busy with work for much more than what I can do on Sat AM) recipes for a party table. Appetizers or desserts. This is also a kid friendly event too. Thanks!! PS - I got that great stuffed mushroom recipe from the posting today too.
  Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by carolekv (We're having a holid...)
Easy appetizers...

Purchase marnidated small, fresh mozzarella balls in the deli section. Put them on short skewers with a cherry or grape tomato and ripe or kalamata olive. Add a fresh basil leaf if you have them.

Cut a cantalope into chunks and wrap in proscuitto and skewer them to hold it together.

Bruscetta - buy pre-made toasted breads or make your own. For a simple tomato topping just dice a couple of ripe tomatoes, add salt and pepper and fresh basil chiffonade. You can also purchase some nice toppings in the international section

Kids love cocktail wienies You can buy smokie links or just cut up good quality hot dogs. Make a mixture of grape or currant jelly and mustard.

Everyone loves cocktail meatballs. Buy the meatballs premade and use a sauce that's 12 oz bottle of chili sauce and a 10 oz jar of grape jelly.

For desserts, I would go with cookies or something that is precut into individual piece for easy grazing.

Should be a fun party!
  Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by carolekv (We're having a holid...)
One dessert the kids will not be able to stay away from are Rice Krispie Treats (either the original or peanut butter) on a platter.

Also, for an informal group buffet, ice cream sundaes are fun and so easy, just bowls of different toppings and nuts, bananas, and a couple three ice creams - even adults vie to make the best one!!

A great big bowl of Chocolate Tapioca with whipped cream is another idea.

If your group imbibes in alcohol, Drunken (Rootbeer) floats are fun with un-drunken for the kids.

and for appys -
tortilla wraps are easy, fun and can be made ahead of time.
maybe a trio of three dips with crackers and/or bread rounds - crab & corn, a spicy picadillo, a spinach.....
mini-kabobs with chunks of ham or salami, cherry tomato, cubes of cheese, pineapple, etc.
oh here's one that is one of our favorties (especially this time of year) and if there are any leftovers, it's great mixed with hot pasta!!

PARMESAN SALSA (SALSA DI PARMIGIANO)
Michael Chiarello (Food TV)

1/2 lb Parmesan, not too dry
1/2 lb Asiago Cheese, not too dry
2 Tbsps chopped green onions
2 tsps minced garlic
2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp freshly grd. black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil

Remove any rind from the cheeses & chop the cheeses into rough 1" chunks.
Pulse the cheese in a food processor till reduced to the size of fine pea gravel.
Transfer cheese to a bowl and stir in the green onion & garlic.
Add the oregano, rubbing it 'tween your fingers to release the fragrance.
Add the black pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil

Stir well, Cover & let stand at room temp. for at least 4 hours before using.

Yield:
"2 1/2 c"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Left over:
Put a pasta bowl over a big pot of water over med. heat; put left over 'salsa' in the bowl and add some capers, kalamatas, sundried tomatoes (if you have some). when water boils, remove pasta dish and keep warm; cook favorite pasta, drain and add to the pasta bowl. Mix it all up, liberally grate fresh black pepper and enjoy!!!
-----

Hope you have a great party!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by HomeCulinarian (Easy appetizers...[b...)
Kids love brownies or blondies---again---I will repeat myself---the ice cream sundaes are always a treat and the toppings are eay to assemble beforehand---let them do their own thing and you will have happy campers!!!! (the adults will love it too!!!! )
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by Roxanne 21 (Kids love brownies o...)
Slice franks 2/3s the way up, into 8 slices lengthways. deep fry them and the legs curl into octapus' tenacles. Capers for eyes, bit of onion for mouth. Kids thinks they are fun.
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by vannin (Slice franks 2/3s th...)
How about Candy Sushi...sushi kids will love! They look fun and easy to make too! You can find the recipe here:

http://holiday.safeway.com/festive.cfm?rid=20

It would definitely have to be for dessert tho. Spoil them in sweets!

Are you guys going to be doing gift exchanges too?
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by PlateOfGoods (How about Candy Sush...)
"Are you guys going to be doing gift exchanges too? "

Do you mean between all the forum posters??? I've thot about asking the opinion on that of a few people, but didn't do it - what do you all think??? Just cheapo, fun little gifts... Should I start a poll??????

Should we do a poll to see if we want a poll??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by PlateOfGoods (How about Candy Sush...)
Cute but way too much work. Plus my kids would not be thrilled with the sushi thing. They'd rather have a kitty litter cake! LOL

The cake is cute: http://www.kidskuisine.com/?page_id=8
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by Roxy (Cute but way too muc...)
Oh my goodness - the sushi is so cute, but the kitty litter looks so real! This is actually not just a kid party, but a family party, I guess. I think we're nuts - it's this Saturday, and we have RSVPs from between 46 - 54 adults and 18 - 20 kids. (The invitation train just got on a roll and before we knew it, here's what we've got coming...) These ideas are all so good - thanks!
  Re: Re: Best yet easy holiday party recipes? by carolekv (Oh my goodness - the...)
My "old" friends (sorry you guys) may be tired of this but here goes....
I try to get in new stuff, but everyone comments if I don't bring this. One friend...young and diet conscious...makes the dip and uses chunky veggies to scoop with...ME, I like the tortillia "Scoops"!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Veggie Ranch Party Platter

Recipe By :Gwen Foxworth Webster
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizer

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 packages cream cheese -- softened
2 packages ranch-style dressing mix
1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
1 cup mozzarella cheese -- shredded
1 cup tomatoes -- chopped
1 cup black olives -- sliced
1 cup green onion -- sliced
1 cup red pepper -- chopped
20 ounces tortilla chips

Mix cream cheese and dressing mix with a mixer and spread a thin layer on two round serving platters.

Using a knife, make lines in the mix like you're slicing pizza. This will define the areas for each topping. At this point, you can outline the sections and around the edge with extra veggies or cheese.

Place each topping into it's own section on the platter.

Chill platter before serving. (If you can wait that long.)

Place tortilla chips in a bowl or basket to the side for scooping.

Description:
"Every time I take this somewhere, everyone wants the recipe. It's ALMOST too pretty to eat!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 318 Calories; 24g Fat (65.3% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Use sliced red and green peppers to outline the platter and sections. Serve with tortillia chips. You'll need about 2 bags.

NOTES : Any toppings can be chopped or shredded. I have used up to eight toppings. I have also used different shaped platters or trays.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Enjoy! WARNING! It's addictive!

There is also the shrimp, scallop, water chestnut, or liver wapped in bacon and marinated in soy and sugar. Then the gouda, mustard, crescent thing. Then there is also a Kahlua/whipped cream thing I do with a GREAT presentation if you're interested. Proscuitto (sp?) wrapped around asparagus or breadsticks, as mentioned, and pinwheels are REALLY easy to make. Finally, my fav...Anchor Bar Chicken Wings with homemade Blue Cheese Dressing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.