Question about jarring...
  Re: (...)
I am wantint to jar some food I make for my sugar gliders. However, I'm not too familiar with jarring so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. Also, would the ingredients go bad? Would the heat harm anything?

If I COULD jar it, how long would it last before it expires?

Here is a list of the ingredients:

1) 1/2 cup Honey

2) 1 Egg (boiled)

3) 1/4 cup of Apple Juice

4) One 4oz bottle premixed Gerber juice with yogurt (Mixed Fruit or Banana)

5) 1 Teaspoon of Rep-Cal Herpivite vitamin supplement

6) 2 teaspoons Rep-Cal Calcium Supplement non-phosphorus with Vitamin D3 in it.

7) Two 2 1/2 oz jar of Stage 1 or 2 Heinz, Gerber, or Beechnut Chicken baby food

8) 1/4 cup Wheat Germ

9) 1/2 cup dry baby cereal.. Heinz or Gerber (Mixed or Oatmeal)

10) One 2 1/2 oz jar of Stage 1 or 2 Heinz, Gerber, or Beechnut Sweet Potato baby food

I'm thinking I would blend everything together BUT the rep vitamins. I've heard they can be harmed by the heat. I would mix those in right before serving.

Do ya'll think this would be "jar-able"? lol.

I don't want to take any chances when it comes to my gliders and although I would LOVE to be able to save time and energy by jarring everything, I don't want to do it if it could possiby harm any of the nutriende they need.

Any advice?

Thanks ahead of time!
  Re: Question about jarring... by curious (I am wantint to jar ...)
Well for one you're going to need a pressure cooker based on the ingredients, a simple water bath used for jams and such won't suffice.

If heat is an issue I wouldn't risk it. I would put them in the foodssaver bags. Freeze the ingredients in easy to use forms like round containers. Then pop a frozen form into a food saver bag and suck all the air out. This will help keep your ingredients fresh and freezer safe.
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... by DFen911 (Well for one you're ...)
I'm with Denise on this one. Every book I have read on jarring / canning say not to alter the recipes (ok I cheat a bit), because you need the right balance of acid, sugar etc. So, unless I had a basic recipe to follow, I'd freeze it as Denise suggested.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
[Image: Sugar%20Glider%20voplaning-%20047950%20w%20moon.jpg]

I was wondering what this concoction would be used for - didn't sound too appetizing , so I googled "sugar glider" and found some interesting information about the little critter.

Otherwise, I couldn't comment on your question because I've only canned a few times and it's been a while ago.

You got some good advice already... Good luck!
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... by HomeCulinarian ( [img]http://www.hoo...)
I thought it was a healthly spread to put on cookies.

Welcome to the forum, Curious!
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... by Lorraine (I thought it was a h...)
Welcome curious!! and yes, what the heck is/are gliders???

but, just looking at your igred. I must say I agree with Denise. Man, I just can't wrap my mind around these ingredients....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Post deleted by curious
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... *DELETED* by curious (Post deleted by curi...)
Just curious, Curious How much do these litte critters in a day? Little Annabelle is gorgeous!!!!
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... by Lorraine (Just curious, Curiou...)
Lol. I'm guessing you meant to type "how much do they EAT on a day". Well, each one eats approx 1tbsp of BML(the mix I want to jar), 1 tbsp of fresh veggies, and 1 tbsp of fresh fruits. Sooo, between all 4 of them thats apprrox. 4tbsp of BML, 4tbsp of veggies, and 4tbsp of fruits.

They only weigh about 80-90 grams each so they don't eat much. Of course, most of the food ends up in the tray on the bottom of the cage or splattered against the wall(they like to throw their food, little buggers!). Tongue
  Re: Re: Question about jarring... by cjs (Welcome curious!! an...)
I would definately be getting a pressure cooker(IF I can jar the stuff).

I WAS worried about the heat because of the vitamins, but I'm just going take the vitamins out and add them in the future as I use the stuff.

The thing I was talking about was the nutrience in the rest of the ingredients, such as the chicken, honey, and apple juice. Will that be compromised by the heat?

Oh yeah, and since I have confused ya'll by talking about gliders I'll make it up to you by posting some pics, lol:

Spice
[Image: HPIM0035.jpg]

Sugar
[Image: HPIM0046.jpg]

Faith
[Image: 00270030.jpg]

Annabelle
[Image: HPIM0024.jpg]

Those are my 4 sugar gliders.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can get it set up to where it's possible to jar this stuff. My mom even suggested that I sell it to other glider owners so they won't have to go through the hassle of making the stuff and having the big sticky mess to clean up afterwards, lol.