Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves
  Re: (...)
I have been racking my poor befuddled brain for three days trying to remember where I got this recipe so that I can take it to a party in a couple weeks! I searched every Mexican cookbook - under cheese, chorizo, & banana leaves - no luck. I searched four or 5 forums and finally found it so I thought I'd share it - yummmmm.

We took these to Jean and Roy's last night -- they were fantastic! The recipe is from Chef Julian Medina - courtesy of David Rosengarten's Rosengarten Report.

Queso Tapado

6 ounces of Queso Fresco crumbled into 1" pieces
6 ounces of Queso Cotija Anejo, crumbled into 1" pieces
6 ounces Queso Oaxaca, shredded coarsley
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS olive oil
4 ounces whole chorizo
1 lb package frozen (or fresh) banana leaves, defrosted and cut into twelve 10" x 10" squares
Salsa de Tomatillo (recipe follows)
corn tortillas

Preheat grill to medioum hot.

While the grill is heating up, combine the three chesses in a bowl. Toss them together with your hands until a mass of cheese just holds. Add salt and olive oil to cheese and incorporate well.

Grill the chorizo for about 3 minues, making sure to rotate it so it cooks through. Remove from grill and place on a plate. When it's cool enough to handle slice in into 1/4" rounds and add to the cheese mixture. Set aside.

Turn down the grill to low. Place two banana leaf squares on top of the grill for about 5 seconds on each side. (Heating the leaves makes them easier to fold.) On a counter, put 1 banana leaf square on top of the other and place 1/6 of the cheese and chorizo mixture in the center of the banana leaf square, patting the cheese into a 3" cheese square. Fold the side of the banana leaf square nearest you over the cheese, covering it. Fold the opposite side over the same area, covering it. Grab the banana leaf square on the left edge, and fold that over the center. Finish by folding the right edge of the banana leaf square over the center. Place the square, with the seams facing down, on a sheet pan.

Repeat with remaining banana leaves, until 6 packets are made. (Remember to pre-warm the leaves on the grill, two at a time)

When ready to serve, place each square seam side down over a low heat grill for about 2 minutes. Then flip the squares and grill them seam-side up for two minutes. Check one to make sure the cheese has melted. Place the squares on 6 dinner plates; serve unopened to preserve the aroma of the dish (each guest opens his or her own leaf package). Pass Salsa de tomatillo and corn tortillas on the side. Scoop some of the cheese mixture into the warm tortilla and add Salsa.

Salsa de Tomatillo

5 fresh tomatillos, medium-large, out of the husk, cut in quareters.
1 small white onion, peeled and cut in quarters
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed, each pepper cut in quarters.
1 large bunch cilantro
2 cloves garlin, peeled
1/4 cup water
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, cut in 12 wedges lengthwise.

Place the tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, and water in a blender or food processor. Pulse mixture until you have a mostly smooth puree, about 2 minues. Season to taste with salt.

For presentatio, pour the salsa in a molcajete (or serving dish) and garnish with the avocado slices.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Harborwitch (I have been racking ...)
This sounds sooo good, Sharon, I wish I had someone to cook it for!

Saving it, nonetheless, thank you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by pjcooks (This sounds sooo goo...)
They were wonderful!! Man, that was when we were still in the Barn in California....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by cjs (They were wonderful!...)
Memories!! That was so much fun!
  Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Harborwitch (I have been racking ...)
"We took these to Jean and Roy's last night "
Either you're on the road, or I need to look at a US map again!

" 6 ounces of Queso Fresco crumbled into 1" pieces
6 ounces of Queso Cotija Anejo, crumbled into 1" pieces
6 ounces Queso Oaxaca, shredded coarsley "

I haven't even heard of two of these, no wonder I haven't made this before!! LOL Sure sounds great though!

Should have read the whole thread before posting!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Lorraine ("We took these to Je...)
Lorraine if you can't get the Mexican cheeses there Rick Bayless recommends the following substitutions:

Queso Fresco = a fresh cheese, could use a salted farmer's
cheese or a dry crumbly goat cheese

Cotija Anejo = an aged cheese, a good Parmesan or a dry Jack
or even a Pecorino Romano

Queso Oaxaca = a Monterey Jack or even Mozzarella in a pinch

(Even a Colby - if that's all you can get)
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Harborwitch (Lorraine if you can'...)
Thanks for that! Have printed it out!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Lorraine (Thanks for that! Ha...)
Well, no shortage of banana leaves here, but no Mexican chorizo. I'll have to make some of my own chorizo and use different cheeses to try this.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by labradors (Well, no shortage of...)
I plan on making my own too. Funny of all the recipes I have none of them call for pig parts that are in some of the commercial chorizo we see?? Hmmmmmmm, does that mean you don't HAVE to use "spare parts"???
  Re: Re: Grilled cheese stuffed banana leaves by Harborwitch (I plan on making my ...)
Heheh.

One of the local stores just grinds some of the pork that it usually sells in slices, and they don't add anything strange.

Do you have a "tried & true" chorizo recipe you could share? I forget if someone posted one here already, or not. Will need to search. Otherwise, my one attempt at chorizo, so far, was not what I had hoped it would be, so I'm ready to try a different recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?