Sesame Turkey Cakes
  Re: (...)
Had the meat left from making turkey stock from the carcass - in other words, turkey meat with not much flavor , so needed to jazz it up a bit. Made these for brunch this a.m. This is a really nice idea from Cooking Light. and they are only 6 points.

Sesame Turkey Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce

Cooking Light: "These savory cakes with a slightly Asian flair are best served just out of the skillet with a side of stir-fried vegetables. You can use leftover Chinese takeout rice or prepared boil-in-bag rice instead of basmati. Water chestnuts add a distinct crunch. Look for sweetened chili sauce in Asian markets, and offer the remaining sauce with spring rolls."

2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 cup cooked basmati rice
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
1/2 cup sweetened chili sauce

Combine the first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Add dry breadcrumbs and sesame seeds; stir until well blended. Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 3/4-inch-thick patty.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 3 patties; cook 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties; cook 3 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties. Serve patties immediately with chili sauce.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 patty and about 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES 295 (28% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 1.8g,mono 2.4g,poly 4g); PROTEIN 17.3g; CHOLESTEROL 39mg; CALCIUM 45mg; SODIUM 419mg; FIBER 1.2g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.6g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2004
------

Nice way to use that meat up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by cjs (Had the meat left fr...)
I've asked him to save me some turkey. Thanks!!!! I'm thinking small balls put into naan.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by cjs (Had the meat left fr...)
That sure looks interesting--I'm beginning to wonder if I should subscribe to ANOTHER magazine--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by Roxanne 21 (That sure looks inte...)
Roxanne, what I've finally started doing is - I've cancelled all my magazine subs (except for 2 or 4 ) and just buy the annuals now. Almost every magazine offers them. At least a lot of the ones I used to subscribe to - Southern Living, Cook's Illus., Cooking Light. Just rec'd my So. Liv & Cook's.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by cjs (Roxanne, what I've f...)
I should be getting my CI annual shortly---I will look into the others--thanks for the tip---didn't think of that--CRS ya know

Tell me a bit more about Southern Living, please. Worth it??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by Roxanne 21 (I should be getting ...)
That's a great idea. Never thought of that. I still love the magazine and the articles, but maybe for other mags. Thanks for the tip Jean.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by luvnit (That's a great idea....)
Southern Living is just chocked full of bad things for you - delicious southern cooking at it's finest...

It also has lots of articles on southern festivals, cities to visit, things to do, etc.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by cjs (Southern Living is j...)
thanks 'friend' anon - another idea for my leftover turkey breast!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by cjs (thanks 'friend' anon...)
Very cool Jean. I love it when the anons are looking up an old thread I forgot about or remember fondly.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sesame Turkey Cakes by luvnit (Very cool Jean. I lo...)
me too!
www.achefsjourney.com