Cherry Pie Filling - Topping?
  Re: (...)
Ok so this dinner on Monday she's serving a cheesecake. Well I cannot let her serve plain cheesecake so offered to make a chocolate sauce and a cherry topping.

I have a can of Comstock Cherry pie filling, so thought I'd experiment. I was thinking of heating it up, adding about 2oz of brandy.

What I'm not sure is if the brandy will make it too liquidy after it cools. Should I bloom a tsp of geletin in the brandy first?
  Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by DFen911 (Ok so this dinner on...)
My mother always put a bit of almond extract in the cherry pie filling. Maybe some kirsch???? No, too much cherry - brandy would be nice though. Maybe a little slurry of cornstarch or arrowroot and the liquor stirred in while heating?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by Harborwitch (My mother always put...)
I don't want it to be over thick and yet not runny. I figured if I added the brandy and let it cook down a bit that would 'rethicken' it up.

Lol this is why I'm not a pastry/sweet chef
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by DFen911 (I don't want it to b...)
I always make my own topping---no canned pie fillings here yet but I'm sure I will start to see those inasmuch as sooo many new items are coming to the markets---yeah, I know, I keep saying that but it's amazing....

Denise, I think if you add the brandy (I like the Kirsch idea and use this regularly!!) while you are heating up and then let reduce a bit you should be okay---as Sharon mentioned a slurry of cornstarch/water will definitely make it a success . Baker's Catalogue sells a clear thickening agent that is absolutely superb if anyone is in to fruit pies etc. No funny aftertaste and the end result is a perfect clear filling that's a winner every time.

When I lived in the States, I used the jarred pie filling for toppings all of the time--can't wait for that fast shortcut again!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by Roxanne 21 (I always make my own...)
If I use Kirsch how much should I use? I'm trying to think if I'd use it again to warrant buying a bottle of it
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by DFen911 (If I use Kirsch how ...)
Well, it'll never go off. You might choose to have a cheese fondue sometime.
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by vannin (Well, it'll never go...)
Denise, have you checked out the 'trial' size bottles in liquor stores??? I've been buying the ones that I don't normally want for drinks to use in recipes. Each has about 2 oz. and they run ~ $1.50 - $2.50 each.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by cjs (Denise, have you che...)
You could use in a cherry cobbler, black forest cake, use in a chocolate mousse---YUMMM----it lasts forever---I have a bottle here that I have had for about 11 years---also put in a cherry pie.

Just use the same amount that you would have used for the brandy---equal amounts, in other words----let us know what you do anad the result!!! Will be great, I'm sure!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by DFen911 (Ok so this dinner on...)
I recommend buying the Kirsh to have on hand. If you're not completely set on cherries, consider the raspberry glaze with fresh berry garnish.

Quote:

The raspberry glaze is excellent, too.

It's 14 oz frozen red raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 cup red wine, 10 oz jar red currant jelly. Combine raspberries, sugar and wine in sauce pan over medium heat. Crush thawed raspberries with back of a spoon. Strain the raspberry juice through a fine sieve, discard seeds. Return juice to sacuepan and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes until reduced to 1/2 cup. Wisk in currant jelly until melted. Cool to room temp.

The suggestion is to use 1/4 cup of the raspberry glaze on top of cheese cake leaving a 1/2" margin around edge. Randomly arrange 3 cups assorted fresh berries on top. It's pictured on the back of issue no. 9. Love it!!!

Re: Re: Cherry Pie Filling - Topping? by HomeCulinarian (I recommend buying t...)
I vote for the raspberry sauce, it sounds excellent! Good luck with your dinner, Denise. Be sure to let us know how it goes. You know we are always rooting for you.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."