Cheese Potatoes
  Re: (...)
Any really good recipes out there for a simple scalloped potato casserole that has swiss cheese in it?

Thanks!
  Re: Cheese Potatoes by carolekv (Any really good reci...)
Have not made this one, but sure looks good - why not sub swiss cheese...

Stove-Top Scalloped Potatoes with Green Chiles and Corn
Serving Size : 4

1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
7 ounces diced green chiles
7 ounces whole kernel corn -- drained
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/3 pounds potatoes -- (4 medium) unpeeled, sliced 1/8 inch thick

Spread butter on bottom of 10 or 12-inch non-stick skillet. Layer half the potato slices on bottom of skillet. Layer half the cheese, chiles, corn, flour, salt and pepper on potatoes. Repeat layers, ending with salt and pepper. Pour milk over all. Bring to simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until potato slices are tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.

Source:
"United States Potato Board"
-----

hmmm, now you have me lookin' at this one again... we need something to go with leftover 'seafood'!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by cjs (Have not made this o...)
Jean, we ALL go well with left over sea food! Doncha know?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cheese Potatoes by carolekv (Any really good reci...)
I used to have the recipe for this one, but lost it years ago. Now I make it from memory. Not the usual scalloped dish, but very tasty. Thinly slice the potatoes as normal. Season the layers, and sprinkle with finely chopped garlic, and grated Gruyere. Pour in hot stock to almost cover potatoes. Cover top with more cheese. Bake at 375 until done.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by Lorraine (I used to have the r...)
this is true, Billy!

as an old love of ours used to say, Lorraine, you had me at Gruyere...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by cjs (this is true, Billy!...)
When my mother died, the neighbors brought over dinner - Ribs and potatoes in cheese sauce. We complimented the potatoes and he said, you know, it's just like when you make mac n cheese, velveeta and heavy cream. The potatoes were par boiled , cubed, then baked with the cheese sauce. I am suspicious of any cheese that doesn't require refrigeration, but it very good.
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by lxxf (When my mother died,...)
When we were children, my brother asked my mom to make scalloped potatoes just like grandma. Well, mom tried and tried every recipe she could find. Finally, in despiration, she asked her MIL the secret to the scalloped potatoes... Grandma replied "Betty Crocker box mix". She just always hid the box and let everyone believe they were sratch.

Ate Velveeta growing up, but no more Velveeta in the house!
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by Lorraine (I used to have the r...)
Hey Lorraine, those potatoes sound good. Do you use any butter in them or would that be too rich? Can you make an estimated guess how much cheese you use? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by Mare749 (Hey Lorraine, those ...)
I usually butter tha baking dish. I'm the only one who eats them (silly people) so I make a very small casserole, two potatoes tops. I use at least a cup of cheese.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cheese Potatoes by Lorraine (I usually butter tha...)
Thanks Lorraine, I'm going to try these. Yummy!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."