Cocktail Party Conundrum??
  Re: (...)
Help! We are hosting my hubby's office cocktail party next Friday. Small crowd, 20 max. Probably more like 10-15 will show up. We plan to just do wine and beer. So I want to keep it simple, but nice. I want a nice mix of yummies, but I do not want to spend all week prepping food. Nor do I want to be cooking up things at the last minute. Shortcuts are welcome! I love cooking, but I hate feeling overwhelmed and exhausted when I host a party. TIA!
  Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by kimbrough72 (Help! We are hosting...)
Here's one that's easy and yummy. It may not sound like much, but I'd bet you won't have any left:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bacon Crisps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound sliced bacon -- cut in half
1 sleeve Waverly Wafers or other buttery rec

Barbie's sister made a tin full of these. They were gobbled up by Americans and Brits alike.
These can be frozen after they're cooked. Place the frozen crisps on a baking sheet and reheat
them for 5 minutes in a 350°F oven.

Preheat the oven to 250F.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each cracker
and wrap tightly with a strip of bacon (no toothpick required!). Place the wrapped crackers on a broiler rack on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet on the oven rack; bake for 2 hours, or until the bacon is done. 1) Do not turn. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 3 servings
NOTE: We were a little impatient during our testing and baked these at 350°F for about 40 minutes, with good results.

Description:
"Paula Deen"

Cocktail Meatballs

Recipe By :Emeril Lagasse
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:20

1 pound ground beef
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
1/2 cup yellow onion -- finely chopped
1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese -- grated
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons creole mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon Essence (see Seasoning) -- see recipe
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons oil
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
SAUCE
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup yellow onion -- grated
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F.

~In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, except the oil and butter. Mix well with your hands. Form into individual meatballs, about 1-inch in diameter. In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
~Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl, whisking to dissolve the sugar and combine. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Pour the sauce over the meatballs and bake until the meat is cooked through and the sauce is bubbly, 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Crab Filled Devilled Eggs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

8 lg eggs -- hard-cooked, peeled
3 Tbsps mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsps chopped fresh tarragon
1 Tbsp minced shallot
2 tsps lemon juice
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
8 ozs crabmeat
Fresh Tarragon sprigs - garnish

Set aside half the yolks (?)
Place yolks from 1/2 the eggs in bowl and mash.
Mix in mayo, tarragon, shallots, lemon juice, cayenne & hot pepper sauce.

Mix in crab. Season w/s & P

Can be prepared 4 hours ahead.

Description:
"cjs - A Chef's Journey"

Mushroom Pate

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:45

1 4 oz onion -- peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic -- peeled
3/4 pound crimini mushrooms -- cleaned & quartered
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almonds -- roasted

In a food processor, whirl onion and garlic, pulsing on and off, until very finely chopped. Scrape into a bowl. Add half the mushrooms to processor and pulse until finely chopped (take care not to puree); scrape into bowl with onion mixture. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.

In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushroom-onion mixture, thyme, and 1-tsp salt; stir often until liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread almonds in an 8-inch square pan. Bake in a 350F oven, shaking pan occasionally, until nuts are golden beneath skins, about 10 minutes. Pour into food processor. Whirl until nuts are as finely ground as possible. Stir into warm mushroom mixture.

Pack into a small bowl (at least 2 1/2-cup capacity) or two 1-cup ramekins; cover with plastic wrap. Chill overnight to blend flavors. Bring to room temperature and serve.

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by bjcotton (Here's one that's ea...)
Here's one I just tried last Sunday and everyone loved it - mostly make ahead, easy, and delicious.

If a few of the wontons fall into themselves and they look like they will be hard to fill with the guacamole, just put it (the guac.) in a plastic bag, cut the corner and pipe it in-works like a charm.

King Crab "Nachos"

24 won ton wrappers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For filling
1 ripe California avocado
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste -- (1/2 to 3/4)
3/4 lb cooked Alaska king crab
leg in shell (1 leg) -- thawed if frozen and split lengthwise
Special equipment: 2 mini-muffin pans

Make won ton cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
Stack 12 won ton wrappers together and trim stack into a 3-inch square. Repeat with remaining won tons. Transfer 1 won ton to an oiled work surface and brush top lightly with some oil. Top with another won ton and brush lightly with oil. Repeat with remaining won tons (this way both sides become lightly oiled).

Put 1 won ton into cup of a muffin pan, pressing it gently into bottom and side to form a cup. Repeat with remaining won tons and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Bake won ton cups in middle of oven until crisp and golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer won ton cups to racks to cool (they will continue to crisp).

Make filling:

Scoop flesh from avocado and mash coarsely with a fork. Stir in shallot, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and wasabi |to taste. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove crab meat from shell and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss crab with remaining tablespoon lime juice and salt to taste.

Spoon guacamole into won ton cups and top with crab.

Cooks' notes:
. Won ton cups can be made 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature.

. Guacamole may be made 4 hours ahead. Chill and cover surface with plastic wrap.

"Gourmet | June 2000 - Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres.
-----

and another I tried and we all liked -

Double-Corn Fritters with Dungeness Crab Creme Fraiche

Fritters:
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2/3 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
Corn oil (for frying)
------
Crème fraîche:
6 ounces Dungeness crabmeat -- picked over, patted dry, flaked
1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives plus additional chives for garnish
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 Pinch cayenne pepper

For fritters:

Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk and egg in small bowl to blend. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, then stir in corn kernels, onion, and bell pepper (do not overmix).

Pour enough oil into large skillet to coat bottom.

Heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 1 scant tablespoon batter for each fritter into hot skillet; spread each to 2-inch round. Fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet.

(Can be made ahead. Let stand at room temperature up to 2 hours or cover and chill overnight. Bake uncovered in 350°F oven until heated through, 6 to 8 minutes.)

To serve: If made ahead, warm in the oven, place on a warm platter and top each 'cake' with a spoonful of the creme fraiche/crab mixture. top with a piece of chive.
Oh so good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by cjs (Here's one I just tr...)
Bowls of spiced nuts are nice to have around. Here's another one of Jean's that's great!

OVEN FRIED RICE BALLS W/GRUYERE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Food & Wine, 10/05

MAKES ABOUT 30 RICE BALLS
Flecked with black pepper and Gruyere, these crusty rice balls are an irresistible hors d'oeuvres. They're great for parties be-cause they are baked rather than fried.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced 1 cup arborio rice
2 cups water
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
¼ cup mixed chopped herbs, such as thyme, basil and oregano
Salt and cracked black pepper
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for30 seconds. Stir in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stir-ring occasionally, until the water has been completely absorbed, about 10 minutes. Scrape the rice into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

2. Stir the Gruyère, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and all of the chopped herbs into the rice. Season the rice with salt and generously season with coarsely cracked pepper.

3. In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the whites into the rice to loosen the mixture, then stir in the remaining whites. Roll the rice into 11/2-inch balls.

4. In a shallow bowl, toss the panko with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Dredge the rice balls in the panko crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake the rice balls in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by Lorraine (Bowls of spiced nuts...)
These go nicely with a glass of wine.

Cherry Thyme Shortbread
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by Lorraine (These go nicely with...)
"Cherry Thyme Shortbread" - I keep forgetting to make these, I want to add them to a cheese platter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by kimbrough72 (Help! We are hosting...)
These are quick and easy to make and they disappear fast. You can sprinkle them around your cookie trays or cheese trays or just in bowls set out around your party area.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

HONEY ROASTED NUTS

YIELD: Approx. 6 cups

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 cups of nuts, can use all the same or a mixture thereof
1/2 heaping cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place nuts in even layer on baking sheet.
3. Roast 12 to 15 minutes, but keep an eye on them as ovens vary. They are done when you start to smell them roasting.
4. Remove from baking sheet and place in large bowl. (removing them is important, to stop them from baking on the hot sheet.)
5. In saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar, honey and butter and bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Once boiling, do not stir. Boil for 5 minutes.
7. While syrup is cooking, combine remaining sugar and spices.
8. Pour hot syrup over nuts. Stir well.
9. Sprinkle with spice mixture and stir well.
10. Transfer to baking sheet and separate with fork.
11. Cool completely.
12. Store in air tight container.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

SUGARED ALMONDS AND PECANS

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound of almonds or pecans (can also use walnuts and macadamia’s; can use slivered almonds but reduce baking time!)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix sugar, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
2. Beat egg white and water until foamy
3. Add nuts to egg whites. Mix well.
4. Add cinnamon mixture to nuts.
5. Spread on foil covered pan, lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.
7. Stir and bake another 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and cool completely before storing in an air tight tin or other air tight container.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Cocktail Party Conundrum?? by cjs ("Cherry Thyme Shortb...)
The Cherry Thyme shortbreads are fantastic - absolutely wonderful! I made mine with lemon thyme - sigh! I have a roll in the fridge to take to the Yacht Club Saturday.

I used to get requests for these when we'd do parties on the Island.
Pepperoni and Asiago Pinwheels
Bon Appétit | October 2001

These hors d’oeuvres are light, flaky and absolutely addictive. They are also simple to prepare and make a big impression — just what you want in party food.

Makes about 60 pinwheels.
ingredients
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese*
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
2 tablespoons honey-Dijon mustard
2 ounces packaged sliced pepperoni (about twenty-four 1 1/2-inch-diameter slices)
1 large egg, beaten to blend

Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
preparation
Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Cut puff pastry crosswise in half to form 2 rectangles. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over 1 puff pastry rectangle, leaving 1-inch plain border at 1 long edge. Place half of pepperoni in single layer atop mustard. Top pepperoni with half of cheese mixture. Brush plain border with egg. Starting at side opposite plain border, roll up pastry, sealing at egg-coated edge. Transfer pastry roll, seam side down, to medium baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry rectangle, mustard, pepperoni, cheese mixture, and egg. Chill rolls until firm, about 30 minutes, or wrap and chill up to 1 day. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray. Cut each pastry roll into about thirty 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Transfer pinwheels to prepared sheets. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to platter; serve.

*Available at specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!