Shun Knives
  Re: (...)
Has anyone used, or owns one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/...d=24KICYDT4UM5F

I am trying to decide if I want one, but wasn't sure how the curved handle felt etc. Also I want a knife that holds an edge. I have henckles but they don't seem to hold an edge very long.
  Re: Shun Knives by DFen911 (Has anyone used, or ...)
We love our Wustaufs.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Shun Knives by Old Bay (We love our Wustaufs...)
The feel of the handle is something you will have to decide for yourself. I know a lot of people who love the curved handles, for example, of the Henckels Five-Star line, but I can't stand them, and love the Four-Star or Pro-S lines, instead.

The edge can be a personal thing, as well. I don't mind keeping a steel and a Chef's Choice sharpener around for my Henckels, since I like the feel of how the Henckels cut compared to other brands.

Also, don't forget that many knife manufacturers (including Henckels) produce cheaper, "value" lines of knives (that may even have ridiculous things like "chef's knives" with serrated edges) in addition to their premium lines, so don't just jump at the sound of a brand name without doing your research first.

Finally, do some shopping around. One great place to get GOOD prices on knives is Bed, Bath & Beyond. With the exception of one knife that I got at BB&B, however, I got EXCELLENT prices for the rest of my knives by buying them on eBay!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Shun Knives by DFen911 (Has anyone used, or ...)
but wasn't sure how the curved handle felt etc.

The handle on my Henckel Twin Cuisine is curved, but not quite that pronounced. I love the feel of it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Shun Knives by Lorraine (but wasn't sure how ...)
I've never held one of these knives, Denise. All I can say is that I seem to have trouble when I've used my santoku knife too much and switch to my regular chef's knife it takes a while to get the 'feel' and action back.

I would think switching between this knife (in picture) would give me the same problem...?

How did it feel in your hand? would it be a work knife? home knife? both?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shun Knives by cjs (I've never held one ...)
I have to call Willams Sonoma and see if they carry then so I can go out and hold it. Make the cutting moves etc.

The knife would become my primary knife that I use at home and take with me on jobs.

Lab the Chef choice knife sharpener, you find it works well? I was told with my henckles to never use a home sharpener but to send them out. I have my honing steel I use, but the edge I think needs to be reworked.
  Re: Re: Shun Knives by DFen911 (I have to call Willa...)
I never use sharpener either - just my stone and steele.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com