Barbecue Bean Bread
  Re: (...)
This is one of those off the wall recipes that just have to be tried. Has a nice flavor and toasts well. It's a dense bread, so should be good for a sandwich - I'd sure make it again.

BARBECUE BEAN BREAD

From the 21st (1970) Pillsbury Bake Off Cookbook

1 cup warm water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup molasses
1 to 2 T. paprika
2 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. Active dry yeast
2 cups (1-lb. can) barbecue beans
5 to 5 1/2 cups Pillsbury all purpose flour

Oven 375 F. Makes 2 loaves

Generously grease bottom and sides of two 9X5 or 8X4-inch loaf pans.

In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except flour.
Blend at low speed until thoroughly combined.

Add 2 1/2 cups flour; blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
By hand, stir in remaining flour to form a stiff dough (I just added it to the K.A. and mixed it up. Also used the dough hook for 5 minutes)

Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise 45-60 minutes.

Punch down dough; divide in half and shape each into a loaf. Place in prepared pans.
Cover; let rise another 45-60 min. Bake at 375 F. for 50 to 60 minutes, until a deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans to cool.

Pillsbury note: for use with Pillsbury Self-Rising flour, omit salt.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by cjs (This is one of those...)
Beans on toast, all in one!!!! Thanks, Jean. Printed and filed to take with me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by Lorraine (Beans on toast, all ...)
oh this looks yum!
don't forget the taco bread too, when you get a chance
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by farnfam (oh this looks yum![b...)
Thanks Jean, this sounds really good. What brand of beans do they recommend? The older brands (like Campbells) had less sugar than some of the newer brands like Bush's, so it would make a difference in the final product. (I'm guessing)

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, this so...)
Cis, the taco bread is next.

Maryann, I used Bush's - it has more sugar than Campbells? I did not know this. hmmm, I'll try Campbells next time (or maybe homemade bbq beans....that sounds good.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by cjs (Cis, the taco bread ...)
Bush's might have more sugar, but they beat Campbell's in taste every time IMO. They also beat B & M.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by Lorraine (Beans on toast, all ...)
Lorraine, while this bread sounds like a fun one to serve, and I will at some point, you have just reminded me that I need to stew some beans soon-just love stewed beans on toast! (It might be a New England thing, I can smell the beans stewing on the woodstove just thinking about it)

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by pjcooks (Lorraine, while this...)
How funny, PJ - I just took some of the bread over to some neighbors (two loaves and we'd probably eat it all!!! ), and one of them said that is her favorite sandwich!! (she's from the midwest somewhere)

Now, she's going to make some baked beans...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by cjs (How funny, PJ - I ju...)
I've never been able to get my mind around baked beans on toast. It just doesn't compute. Guess I'll have to try it. I DO like to soak up the juice of Butter Beans (Large Limas) with bread though, so maybe it's not so strange.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Barbecue Bean Bread by bjcotton (I've never been able...)
Billy, baked beans on toast is a popular breakfast here, and does for a quick lunch or supper too. Even better with a nice soft poached egg on top. Great with a sausage or two on the side, caramelized onion only adds to the treat. Or BB hot in a bowl with very fresh bread and butter, for dipping and mopping. BB sandwiches, with cold BB are a favourite, as is almost instant casserole of BB, stirred into onions, bacon, skinned cocktail sausages, and mushrooms browned in the bacon fat. Served with thick buttered toast on the side or underneath. Jean bread sounds ideal for this.