Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose
  Re: (...)
I don’t hunt, neither does my husband, but I seem to acquire my fair share of wild game. Tonight we are cooking Canadian Goose. I love this stuff. Seriously, to me, it tastes like beef if it’s done right. But you really need to handle it like beef and cook it rare to medium rare. If you are squeamish about that, sorry, that’s the way it’s best (IMHO)

When I have a piece of wild game and don’t know what to do with, I go to this website. This guy has a show called The Sporting Chef. I have never seen the show, but I can tell you every recipe I have made from it has been outstanding.

Sporting Chef - Scott Leysath

This is what we are cooking tonight:

Black Pepper and Herb Goose Breast

Many game chefs follow the standard “stuff the bird with apples, oranges, lawn clippings, etc. and roast in a 350 degree oven…” routine. I have not had great luck with the roasting of the whole bird. Yes, it looks pretty cool on a platter, but it doesn’t really taste that good. Here’s the problem; by the time the inside of the breast is a delicious medium-rare, the outer part of the breast is cooked to medium-well and doesn’t taste good. The answer…make the meat thinner.

A Canada goose breast is a thick hunk of flesh. Smaller species are not as thick, but most are certainly plumper than a mature mallard. Before cooking, I often butterfly the breast so that the thickness is pretty much the same as a mallard breast. This insures that the meat cooks quickly and the outside does not get overcooked. Place the breast on a flat surface and gently place your palm over it (finger tips up!). Run a knife through the meat, between the surface and your palm. If you cut your hand in the process, you did something wrong. As a matter of fact, before you begin, we’ll need you to sign a waiver. Please sign here…and here…and I’ll need your initials here…O.K, and one more right here. Now, proceed with caution. Butterflying normally means not slicing completely through the meat, but leaving a “hinge” at one end so that the meat can be opened like a book. Go ahead and cut all of the way through the breast this time. You should end up with two relatively equal sized pieces and, hopefully, all of your fingers. You can also lightly pound the meat between waxed paper sheets to make it even thinner.

4 to 6 servings

2 – 3 goose breast halves; skinless and butterflied (see above)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon, freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced (or substitute 2 teaspoons dried rosemary)
2 tablespoons fresh thyme (or substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon additional olive oil
1/3 cup beef broth
1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Pat butterflied goose breasts dry with paper towels. Combine next 7 ingredients and coat breasts evenly with the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours. Heat additional tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add goose breasts and cook on both sides until just medium-rare. Remove goose breasts and cover with foil. While pan is still over medium-high heat, quickly add beef broth to pan and stir with a spoon to loosen bits. Reduce liquid by one-half. Add cream and cook until liquid starts to thicken. Slice goose breasts thinly and arrange on plate. Drizzle sauce over.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by luvnit (I don’t hunt, neithe...)
I've never had Canadian Goose, but the recipe sure sounds good! Thanks for the link to the website. They have some great looking venison dishes! Have a good supper.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by Lorraine (I've never had Canad...)
does sound very good - skinless, huh? Isn't wild goose fat good?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by cjs (does sound very good...)
I honestly can't answer that question. I have never had the skin on a wild goose. Maybe someone else can tell us?
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by luvnit (I honestly can't ans...)
I know the golfers would be delighted if all the Canadian geese would go home...what a mess.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by bjcotton (I know the golfers w...)
That's one of the things I really miss about the Marina - the Canadians flying overhead, or taking a break on the river and fields. Some days you'd see thousands of Canadian geese and white swans feeding in the cornfields (which the farmers flood to a depth of about a foot or so to provide habitat for the migratory birds over the winter). So beautiful. Last winter we had a pair that lingered in the slough behind our boat for almost 2 weeks. One appeared injured - but the mate stayed with it until they could both leave.

Hmmmm, goose on a plate - yup, I could do that! Sounds really good! Enjoy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by Harborwitch (That's one of the th...)
I have had goose only once, decades ago. The farmers in the South Is. find them a pain, they eat all the pasture, but they look lovely on the land.
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by vannin (I have had goose onl...)
Hubby used to go up to Saskatoon(?)goose hunting every fall. Oddly, none of the geese ever made it to my house. They stayed with a guide friend and every afternoon, they would scout out fields and find the landowner to request permission to hunt the next morning. They had a blast!

The first year he managed to get a swan permit. I was really excited, as I had been told swan was EXCELLENT! He could only bag one, and had that mounted. So now I have a HUGE swan in full flight on the wall and never got to taste the meat. I never knew those things were so BIG!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by Gourmet_Mom (Hubby used to go up ...)
Oh that's a cute story. I would feel the same way, I would have wanted to taste him at least. Oh well, I am sure he had a wonderful time.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner tonight - Canadian Goose by Gourmet_Mom (Hubby used to go up ...)
Gee, I never thought about eatting swan. I know they're members of the goose/duck family, so why not? I've never seen swan on a menu anywhere I've ever been.

Hope someone chimes in here with a comment, or an experience to share

Just can't get the "Make Way for Ducklings" tour and swan boat ride (Boston, MA) field trip out of my head...it's a regional thing-

PJ
PJ