Cipolini Borettana
  Re: (...)
I bought two of these onions yesterday because the produce person said they were a mild onion. I put one large one in a slowcooker with a Chipotle spiced pork loin my sis had gotten at Costco along with carrots, celery, and potatoes. After an hour or so, it began to smell really good. Now, though, all I can smell is that damned onion...wonder why that is......opinions?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cipolini Borettana by bjcotton (I bought two of thes...)
I don't know, Billy, but it's a smell we love around here. Sounds like a good meal too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by Mare749 (I don't know, Billy,...)
I love onions and garlic, but this has a sharp smell...maybe it's just an onion smell I'm not used to.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by bjcotton (I love onions and ga...)
I love to run across cipollinis - love the flavor, but have not noticed such an overpowering smell that you describe...

FLC describes them as "...the bittersweet bulbs of the grape hyacinth taste and look like small onions, which is why they're also called wild onions. "

So, maybe that's the reason you got that sharpness.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by cjs (I love to run across...)
Next time you're in Portland Jean, WholeFoods and NewSeasonsMarket both carry them. Let me know and I'll meet you there. I've got to go back to Portland to get Lolly some things and myself some more of the Cranberry Mustard.

Billy
  Re: Cipolini Borettana by bjcotton (I bought two of thes...)
I like to cut off the top, drizzle with balsamic and roast--fresh ground pepper & salt.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by Old Bay (I like to cut off th...)
At first I thought, "What in the heck [you know I never say heck] is he talking about, cut off the top of what....then when I realized what in the heck you were talking about I thought yummmmmmmmm!"

Billy
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by bjcotton (At first I thought, ...)
The onion!!!-and pull off the outer layer--really good stuff--how about a whole pan with beshamel sauce, parmesan, and bread crumbs. I'll bet that is pretty good-I think I'll try it--bake at 350 until bubbly and done.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by Old Bay (The onion!!!-and pul...)
Ohhh, Bill that description reminds me of an old onion dish we used to make that I love - it would probably be too expensive to make this with cippolinis tho.

Onion Gratin

4 cups onions -- sliced (3 large white)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°

Sauté the onions in butter until transparent and place in a buttered 1 1/2-qt. au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light; add sour cream and salt & pepper and combine; pour over onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serves 8

Description:
"This makes a wonderful side dish for just about any meat or poultry."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cipolini Borettana by cjs (Ohhh, Bill that desc...)
I wonder if I got some cipolinis when I go up to Portland if they would last until YOU could make that for Xmas supper? Ya think? AND, what are you going to do with that beef tenderloin I'm bringing? Oh yeah, Tracie said we were going to stuff it with lobster meat.

Billy