Garlic Romano Baguette
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a recipe for this? I bought a small baguette at New Seasons Market...I didn't see any Romano, but it had whole garlic cloves in it...it was a rustic type bread. I wonder if the 18 hour bread could be made into this type of bread? Buddy and I ate the whole baguette at one sitting.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by bjcotton (Does anyone have a r...)
Billy, I've added all kinds of things to that 18 hour bread recipe. Go ahead and experiment. No matter what you do, it still turns out good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by Mare749 (Billy, I've added al...)
billy, I've been meaning to add some roasted garlic to the 18 hour bread, but haven't done it yet. I do wonder whether to add to the fermentation or wait and work the dough adding it in. don't really want to do the latter, but I'm concerned about the roasted garlic sitting out for 20 hours or so.....try it and let me know if its safe...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by cjs (billy, I've been mea...)
Jean,

I wouldn't worry about garlic sitting in bread for 18 hours or more. Garlic itself is a natural antimicrobial!

Read the article I have linked. Garlic has it's own antibacterial properties to it.

Garlic
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by luvnit (Jean,[br][br]I would...)
The problem is when garlic is submerged into an oil, and not refrigerated, providing an anaerobic, non-acid environment for the growth of botulism.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by labradors (The problem is when ...)
That's good to know.

My grandmother who is from Italy stores hers this way. They moved to Alaska and she found it was the ony way to be able to keep any on hand.

They haven't gotten sick yet. But they are back in the Lower 48 now and should perhaps rethink this practice.

I will pass this info on to her.
Laura
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by luvnit (That's good to know....)
Man, I tried to relate that article to my concern...it was written by a real scientific 'nerd' I'm thinking...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by cjs (Man, I tried to rela...)
How bout this Jean:

Garlic's Antimicrobial Action

Garlic has been the subject of hundreds of scientific studies. It has a broad spectrum antibiotic activity inhibiting the growth of a variety of microorganisms, including such bacteria as Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Salmonella, Escherichia coli; such molds and yeasts as Candida albicans; influenza and herpes viruses; and parasites. Garlic can also kill Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria associated with peptic ulcers. Garlic was used in Africa by Albert Schweitzer for the treatment of amebic dysentery.
Laura
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by luvnit (How bout this Jean:[...)
thanks Laura - I'll be doing some roasted garlic this a.m. and get going on my 18 hour bread... If I'm able, I'll tell you how it works.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Romano Baguette by cjs (thanks Laura - I'll ...)
It's only taken me a day to figure out this thread. I kept thinking romano beans mashed with garlic on baguette. I think I'm with the program now.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.