Stuffed Dates
  Re: (...)
So I'm going to a cocktail party soon and bringing 2 appetizers and a snack. The snack will be warmed olives.

Apps are stuffed tomatoes and stuffed dates. I'm excited about the dates. I pitted then and stuffed with them gorgonzola and then wrapped them in bacon. I was going to bake for 20 minutes at 400, but thought the cheese might cook out being hot that long. So going to try and broil for 3 min and turn and broil for 2 to crisp the bacon.

Anyone ever do these?
  Re: Stuffed Dates by DFen911 (So I'm going to a co...)
Hmmmmm, gorgonzola and dates and bacon, hmmmmmmmmm Just can't seem to wrap my mind around those. But what the hell, I couldn't wrap my mind around Cranberry Mustard until I tasted it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
What an interesting combiniation. I am with Billy, I can't quite imagine it on my taste buds, but I would sure like to try them.

Let us know how they taste and how they are recieved by others. With all those great ingredients, I am sure they'll be a hit!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by luvnit (What an interesting ...)
This is the way I do stuffed dates - I've tried different cheeses over the years, but not gorgonzola...that I can remember. Sounds good to me! When you use thin cut bacon, it cooks quickly enough.

STUFFED DATES WITH BACON

1 pkg. pitted dates
1 lb. thin-sliced bacon
1 pkg. sharp cheddar cheese

Slit dates open and stuff with small cube of cheese.
Cut each piece of bacon in half and wrap around each date.
Secure with toothpick.
Broil on both sides until bacon is cooked.

Description:
"These little goodies have been around forever and they are still wonderful!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are you stuffing the tomatoes with?? Years ago my mother and I made crab filled cherry tomatoes for a party and when we were done stuffing them, she said - well, they're really very good, but too d-mn much work... They were delicious. the crab was probably mixed with a bechamel sauce or something similar.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by cjs (This is the way I do...)
Wow! I have never heard of these before! I am always the last to know.

I am gonna have to try them for Christmas! Maybe we will try both cheddar and blue cheese and have a taste test!

I looked for a picture online and found one. They look very good. These are stuffed with a very good parmesan cheese.

[Image: bacon_dates.jpg]

They sound very different.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by luvnit (Wow! I have never he...)
Ok I didn't have time to read the boards till this morning. But they came out SOOOO good!! They were eaten up like there was no tomorrow.

I ended up just broiling them for 3 min on one side and then 3 minutes on the the other side.

If you let the cheese sit out to room temp you don't have to slit the dates. I just cut little rectangles and pushed it in.

Yummy, yummy yummy
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by DFen911 (Ok I didn't have tim...)
We love them also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by cjs (We love them also!!...)
I've never had them, but..... I have company coming next Saturday and all the ingredients to make them! Thanks.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
I made a date appetizer recipe stuffed with a blue cheese and walnut mixture. An easy do ahead recipe. Everyone who tried them, loved them. (My daughter said they looked like cockroaches and refused to try one, though. Apparently there's an age limit on kids thinking gross food are cool!)
  Re: Re: Stuffed Dates by HomeCulinarian (I made a date appeti...)
These are also very good stuffed with chorizo and wrapped in bacon. I never knew dates could be so darn delicious.
Calliope