Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast
  Re: (...)
I really don't know much about Brazilian foods, but after looking this one over, I'm on a mission...maybe a Brazilian dinner down the road??????

This just looks really bad for us and so good!!!

Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast
Makes: 4 to 6 servings - By Aïda Mollenkamp

Rabanada usually makes an appearance on the Brazilian breakfast table around Christmastime, but it’s so delicious we whip it up all year long. Most recipes call for the bread to be soaked briefly, fried, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Our version sits overnight before frying to allow the custard to really soak into the bread. Then, like a churro, we completely cover it in a cinnamon-cocoa-sugar mixture. Team this with our Marinated Mango or Grapefruit Spike, and you’re set for Sunday brunch.

We prefer the custardy texture that results from using a narrow (about 2 inches wide) baguette rather than a thicker one; however any size baguette will work.
Game plan: Frying the toast for 8 to 10 minutes makes for a crispy outside and a custardy interior, but go ahead and adjust the cooking time to your French toast preferences.

• 1 medium sweet or sourdough baguette
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
• 6 tablespoons whole milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Vegetable oil for frying

1. Cut baguette on the bias into 1-inch-thick slices (you should have about 16 slices).

2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, condensed milk, whole milk, vanilla extract, and kosher salt, and whisk until evenly combined. Pour egg mixture into a shallow dish that will snugly hold all of the bread (such as a glass baking dish or a large pie plate) and add baguette slices. Turn slices to coat well in mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until egg mixture is almost completely absorbed, at least 8 hours or up to overnight.

3. Combine sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon, and mix until evenly distributed; reserve.

4. When bread has soaked, fill a medium pot with oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium heat until oil registers 330°F on a deep-fat thermometer. Place cinnamon-cocoa mixture on a plate and set aside. Line another plate with a layer of paper towels and set aside.

5. Remove bread slices from egg mixture, allowing excess egg to drip away. Place 4 to 6 pieces of bread in hot oil (being sure not to overcrowd the pot). Fry bread slices until they are dark golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. (You’ll want the oil to maintain a temperature of 325°F while the bread is frying; adjust the heat as necessary to achieve this.) Flip bread and fry another 4 to
5 minutes. Remove from oil and place on the paper towel–lined plate to drain.

6. While still hot, dredge French toast in cinnamon-cocoa mixture and shake off excess. Repeat frying process with remaining nd serve.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by cjs (I really don't know ...)
This lookes like a winner!

And of course I found a picture of Rabanada on the internet to contribute for us imagination-impaired folk like myself. Although photos do inspire my imagination.

[Image: rabanada.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by luvnit (This lookes like a w...)
My Christmas morning breakfast changes every time I log on!!!! How can one go wrong with fried bread with sugar on it!!! Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by Lorraine (My Christmas morning...)
...AND chocolate!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by cjs (...AND chocolate!!!...)
And then do we gild the lilly by putting raspberry syrup on it?? Geeze, Lorraine I know how you feel! Maybe this for New Years breakfast with a bottle of Raspberry Champagne?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by Harborwitch (And then do we gild ...)
" putting raspberry syrup on it?? "

I say make a slit and stuff the raspberries inside. Geez, I haven't even made it yet and I'm thinking of variations.

I'm thinking this wouldn't travel well, would it? NY morning we'll be up at the crack of dawn driving to B'more. I thought if they could be made ahead, I'd bring a bunch. but we'd probably eat them all on the way.

Reminder to self. Pack your "buffet" pants.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rabanada (Brazilian-Style French Toast by Lorraine (" putting raspberry ...)
Okay . . . stuff with raspberries, top with raspberry jalapeno jam. Drink Raspberry Champagne - note: wear the muumuu!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!