Sourdough biscuits
  Re: (...)
Marlene (from another forum) gifted me with some of her sourdough starter from the Yukon last Christmas. I save the dried starter - promising myself that when I had a real kitchen again . . . Well we fired it up last week and WOW! I added some to the 18 hour bread (what a tang that gave it!), made sourdough fruitcake, and yesterday Bob wanted biscuits for brunch.

I used to have a great tiny cookbook that had a great biscuit recipe - but it's somewhere in the garage. So, I spent some time with Google and found this recipe on www.kitchenhintsandtips.com. Quite different from the typical recipe - but very very good!

Here is what you will need:
2 cups sour dough starter
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon of baking powder

(My notes: All I had was buttermilk so I increased the soda to 1 tsp.)
This is how you will make them:
Place a large pan of water on medium-high heat so that it starts boiling.

In the bowl of a food processor combine the Flour, Sugar, Soda, Salt, and Baking powder and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Place in a large glass or plastic bowl.

Combine the milk and sourdough batter and mix well, then add to the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a ball.

Place the ball onto a heavily floured surface and knead gently until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.

Roll dough about 1 inch thick. Fold in half and roll again to 1 inch. Repeat this process for 3 or 4 more turns. This will give your biscuits a "flakey" texture. Flour your surface as needed to keep the dough from sticking.

Using a 2" circle cutter, or a juice glass, cut into circles.

Place about 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet or your favorite biscuit pan.

Place the pan of biscuits over the pot of boiling water and cover lightly with a soft clean towell and let rest for about 30 minutes.

While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 400ยบ f.

Brush tops and sides of your biscuits lightly with some melted butter and bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits have puffed and are lightly brown.

Serves 4 - 6 depending on appetite!

These were so good! The sourdough is all bubbly and wonderful - I think a loaf of bread today!

I used an 8 x 8 pan - way too small for the biscuits after they rose - a baking sheet or larger pan will work better and give them more room to rise and spread out.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Sourdough biscuits by Harborwitch (Marlene (from anothe...)
Okay, I know nothing about sourdough or sourdough starter. Where do you get this stuff? Is it sorta like the what came first: the chicken or the egg? the sourdough bread or the starter?

I think the 18 hour bread would be wonderful as a sourdough. My hubby loves sourdough. I think he might marry me all over again if i could make it once is a while for him.

So where do you get starter from? how do you use it? how much do you use?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by luvnit (Okay, I know nothing...)
I was very fortunate to get some dried starter from a friend. It is available at King Arthur Flour, or you can make you own.

When I make my own I start with a potato starter - boiling enough potatoes (with their skins) until they fall apart in water to cover that will yield 2 cups of "potato water" whe done, peels removed, and mashed. To that I add 2 tbs sugar, about 2 cups of flour (to make a "batter" resembling thick pancake batter) and 1/2 tsp yeast (optional). You only use yeast to speed up the action - otherwise just cover and set in a warmish place to start fermenting - usually about a week before you start using it. Always keep your starter in glass, crockery, or plastic and if you're not going to use it for a while refrigerate it.

I had a beautiful starter from a start given to me by a friend from Alaska, it dated from 1847! My daughter thought it was rotten "something" and tossed it!

The routine is to feed your starter the night before you're going to use it so that you always have plenty. The definitive book is "Alaska Sourdough" by Ruth Allman. It's full of the lore of sourdough and recipes for great goodies.
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by Harborwitch (I was very fortunate...)
Sharon, my bestest little friend had a starter for years, probably still does and she has given me her favorite recipes - cinnamon rolls, biscuits, waffles, etc. I type them up and send them to you.

I have a bag of Marlene's dried sour dough starter also - haven't done anything with it yet....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by cjs (Sharon, my bestest l...)
Oh thank you!!!

I mixed about a third of it in flour and warmish water - it took about a week and a couple feedings (and about a tsp of suguar) to get it roaring.

I had one in Fort Bragg (CA) for several years. One night I fed the "critter", the ex stoked the fire really good, and when we came downstairs in the morning we found the starter had crawed out of the pot and was climbing into the window sill and up the window! Lively little bugger! Love the stuff.
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by Harborwitch (Oh thank you!!! [img...)
Sharon, I have that book by Ruth Allman! And it's one of my favorites. My mom brought it back from a trip to Alaska more than 15 years ago, and I still take it out every once in a while and make a starter. The pancakes are really good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by cjs (Sharon, my bestest l...)
I gave mine to someone, just can't remember who.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by Mare749 (Sharon, I have that ...)
I had a copy my ex brought back from Alaska something like 25 years ago. I think it got lost in a move - but a friend of ours from Alaska brought me another copy - oh the pancakes are to die for!! We're nibbling on the fruitcake now.
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by Harborwitch (I was very fortunate...)
Oh that sounds so theraputic and satisfying. I will have to get that book and read up on Starters. I think I may like to do that for a while.

Thanks for all the good information!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sourdough biscuits by luvnit (Oh that sounds so th...)
It's much more fun in the winter! I hate to put my starter in the fridge - seems like every time I do someone thinks it's something gone "off" and tosses it! If it's on the counter they look at it funny - but won't touch it.