Pork Leg Roast?
  Re: (...)
One of our stores is advertising a pork leg roast for $1.88 a lb. I've had shoulder and sirloin roasts but never a leg roast. What is it...from a leg, I know, but is it any good? What part of the leg?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pork Leg Roast? by bjcotton (One of our stores is...)
I like legs of Ham, Lamb, or Pork. (yes, I know ham is pork, but it is Different pork). I particularly like boned legs of Lamb and Pork. Might miss out on some of the flavour, but it is a dream to carve. I always ask for the bone for stock.
Billy, this is from the “PORKTHEOTHERWHITEMEAT.COM” site...the recipe, too, which sounds yummy! Thought you would like it, too!

http://www.answers.com/topic/pork?cat+health

Fresh Pork Leg

Description: Fresh pork leg, also known as fresh ham, is the uncured hind leg of the hog. Like cured ham, fresh leg of pork/fresh ham is available either bone-in or boneless and may be purchased whole or halved. Fresh ham also may be cut into rump (from near the sirloin), shank (lower leg portion) or center portions.

The whole bone-in leg weighs between 15 and 25 pounds and includes the shank and leg bones. Boneless pork leg is often rolled and tied with twine by the butcher. If you don’t see it at the supermarket, the butcher, with about a week’s notice, can order a fresh leg of pork.

Pork Leg — The meat from this part of the pig is usually made into hams, but fresh leg meat is lean and makes a terrific roast.

Legs/Hams - Although any cut of pork can be cured, technically speaking only the back leg is entitled to be called a ham. Legs and shoulders, when used fresh, are usually cut bone-in for roasting or leg steaks can be cut from the bone.

Roast Leg of Pork with Glazed Dried Fruits
1 15-20 pound bone-in leg of pork (fresh ham)
2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cup apple or orange juice
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons coarse brown mustard
4 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 packages (9 ounces) dried figs or pitted dried plums (prunes)
2 packages (6 or 7 ounces) dried apricots or peaches
1 packages (5 or 6 ounces) dried pears or apples
1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1/2 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
Cooking Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pork on a rack in large shallow roasting pan. Roast for 3 1/2hours to five hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part reads 150 degrees F. (About 18 to 20 minutes per pound.)

While pork is cooking, in a large bowl, combine wine, apple juice, honey, ginger, mustard and 4 teaspoons of orange peel. Add dried figs, apricots, pears and cranberries; stir to combine. Let stand while pork roasts, stirring occasionally.

About 45 minutes before pork is done, remove from oven. Spoon off excess fat.
Add fruit mixture to roasting pan and continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted in center of thickest part of pork reads 150 degrees F. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon orange peel; set aside. Arrange pork and fruit on a serving platter. Sprinkle pork with parsley mixture.

Serves 10-13, with leftovers.

Serving Suggestions
Fresh leg of pork is a richly-flavored roast that will let you feed a houseful of hungry guests effortlessly. Served with a mixture of dried apricots, apples and other fruits, the richness of this “wow them” centerpiece is balanced with a touch of sweetness. Serve with Wild Rice Stuffing, Twice-Cooked Green Beans and dinner rolls. Finish the meal with warm apple cobbler and cinnamon ice cream.

Nutrition Facts
Calories: 240
Fat: 8 grams
Cholesterol: 80 mg
Carbs: 13 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Sodium: 55 mg.
Sat fat: 8 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Billy, is it bone-in or boned?? If it's boneless (they are quite often sold this way) you can really have fun with this cut. Unroll it and stuff it or slather the insides with all kinds of goodies.

This is really tasty!!

Garlic Roast Pork
Serves 8.
an 8-to 10-pound fresh ham(1/2 leg of pork)
6 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried orégano, crumbled
1 large onion, sliced
For the gravy:
4 cups water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves for garnish
strips of orange zest for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a sharp knife score the skin and fat of the ham deeply in a diamond pattern. In a blender purée the garlic with the orange juice, the oil, the vinegar, the salt, the pepper, and the orégano and rub the mixture all over the ham. Put the onion in the middle of a roasting pan, arrange a rack on top of it, and put the ham on the rack. Roast the ham in the oven for 4 hours, or until a meat thermometer registers 170°F. (I roast it to 150°), and let it stand in the pan at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the ham to a carving board, pull off the cracklings (crisp pieces of skin), reserving them, and remove and discard the remaining fat. Slice the meat thin across the grain, arrange it on a platter, and keep it warm with the reserved cracklings, covered.

Make the gravy:
Transfer 2 tablespoons of the fat from the roasting pan to a saucepan and pour off the remaining fat from the pan juices.

Add the water to the roasting pan and deglaze the pan over high heat, scraping up the brown bits.

Add the flour to the fat in the saucepan, cook the roux over low heat, whisking, for 2 minutes, and strain the mixture from the roasting pan through a sieve into the roux, pressing hard on the solids. Whisk in the orange juice, the vinegar, and the sugar, simmer the gravy, whisking, for 5 minutes, and season it with salt and pepper.

Serve the pork with the gravy and garnish it with the parsley and the zest.
Gourmet mag., 4/93
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
This is one of our favorite cuts of piggy. Bob likes to smoke them just to be different once in a while, and we've cooked them low and slow on the BBQ. I like to have a crowd over and roast that puppy up and serve with all the trimmings. The leftovers, any way you go, make excellent chili or posole.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Leg Roast? by Harborwitch (This is one of our f...)
Peter LOVES this cut----I just roast then make a gravy from the drippings and serve with applesauce---simple and YUMMY!!!! Great leftover sammiches, too!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pork Leg Roast? by Roxanne 21 (Peter LOVES this cut...)
I often buy "pork roasts", but this was the first time I saw one advertised like this so was a bit confused. I do like the shoulder blade roasts and bought that since I wasn't familiar with the leg roast....is the only difference that one comes from the front and one comes from the back?

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Leg Roast? by bjcotton (I often buy "pork ro...)
Safeway is advertising the blade roasts at 88 cents a pound!! on a coupon deal. Hmmmmm. Love them - and they are good so many ways.
  Re: Re: Pork Leg Roast? by Harborwitch (Safeway is advertisi...)
I'll have to check our Safeway...I just put one in the slowcooker.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Leg Roast? by bjcotton (I'll have to check o...)
I love them "slow cooked" in the pressure cooker (when I forget to put them on earlier) with kraut, onions, and apples.