Milk substitute?
  Re: (...)
I like to make creamy polenta with my pecan crusted fish. I went to get my ingredients out for my polenta and found that the kids drank my milk! Big surprise...LOL! Anyway, I have 1 small can of carnation (about 1.5 cup) and almost a quart of buttermilk? I a use 3 to one cups water to milk for the polenta. Should I just water down the carnation (half and half) and go from there or sub the buttermilk and leave off the butter (keep the butter?)in my polenta recipe? Suggestions?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (I like to make cream...)
http://www.ochef.com/914.htm
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (I like to make cream...)
I was going to say go with your carnation intuition. Then I started thinking about the buttermilk. Might be a nice taste, but, I don't know if it can be subbed. Ok, I say go for the buttermilk!!!! and the butter!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Milk substitute? by labradors ([url=http://www.oche...)
Thanks lab...did I ever tell you we have always had labs and LOVE them! The current family member, a black female, is Cricket who is spoiled rotten (by me...gets a spot on the bed) and better known as "Precious".

Anyway, I have always subbed 1/2 canned, 1/2 water to 1 of milk. I was mostly curious about the creaminess of this. I opted for the buttermilk since it is 1 part milk to 3 parts water for 1 cup polenta. (Should not have even worried about it and just used water as I am also making an Alexander Sauce.) Anything else, I would probably have gone for the evaporated. As a matter of fact, my mother's choc. pie recipe calls for equal water to evap. and we ALWAYS used canned in mashed potatoes growing up. It was cheaper.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks lab...did I e...)
I know what you mean about "doing what you've always done", but it's nice to know that we can ask anyway and may get surprising answers
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
OK, don't boil buttermilk. It separates. I have managed to beat it with my spoon and get most of it incorporated, but not completely. If anyone has a suggestion to remedy that, let me know. Next emergency, I'll go for the evaporated. It's holding over warm water now...awaiting a pat of butter and some parm. Hubby's not home yet. I'll have to let you know about flavor later.
Daphne
Quote:

Thanks lab...did I ever tell you we have always had labs and LOVE them! The current family member, a black female, is Cricket who is spoiled rotten (by me...gets a spot on the bed) and better known as "Precious".

They ARE incredible. I like ALL breeds, but will always love labs the best.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (OK, don't boil butte...)
Report....I finally managed to beat most of the buttermilk into the polenta, but there was still a little not beat in. The flavor was good, but presentation was compromised. All in all, though...dinner was REALLY GOOD!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (Report....I finally ...)
Yep, I'm a dog lover, too! Never met one I didn't fall in love with. But labs will always be my pup of choice!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Milk substitute? by Gourmet_Mom (Yep, I'm a dog lover...)
We saw a chocolate coloured lab. pup in the pet shop this morning, oh what a beautiful doggy. No, didn't buy her, but both walked out looking over our shoulders.

Yes, I know, I know, off topic.