Apple Cider Jelly
  Re: (...)
I've had this recipe for a year or so, it was part of a "Share the Holidays" little booklet a friend put together last year on another forum. Made this yesterday and we 'tasted' almost the entire 'leftover' jar. The recipe says 6 1/2-pints, but I got 7 plust about a half a jar over that. We had with goat cheese and crackers, oh my what a treat!!
[Image: appleciderjelly.jpg]

Apple Cider Jelly

1 quart apple cider
2/3 cup red hots candy
1 package (1-3/4-ounces) powdered fruit pectin
5 cups sugar

Place apple cider, red hots, and pectin in a large kettle, and bring to a full rolling boil. Add sugar; return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off any foam. Pour into hot jars; leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yield: About 6 half-pints.

---

I think with this, I'm done baking and cooking for Christmas!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Apple Cider Jelly by cjs (I've had this recipe...)
We looked for red hots yesterday - wanted to make marshmallows with crushed up red hots and maybe a chocolate dip. Couldn't find them anywhere.

Geeze that looks good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by Harborwitch (We looked for red ho...)
DUHHHH!!!! What are "red hots" ???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by Roxanne 21 (DUHHHH!!!! What are...)
C'mon, Rox, don't you remember them from your childhood??? Little red candies - I had a devil of a time finding them. In fact I couldn't even find them in a pkg., I found them in bulk at a discount store.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by cjs (C'mon, Rox, don't yo...)
Thanks for that Jean. I just Love those jars too.
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by vannin (Thanks for that Jean...)
Thanks for posting that Jean. What a nice gift that would make also. Love those jars!

For anyone who is having trouble finding red hots, if you google old fashioned candy, there are a number of websites you can order from.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by cjs (C'mon, Rox, don't yo...)
Tasty and pretty, Jean! What a wonderful idea for Christmas!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by pjcooks (Tasty and pretty, Je...)
Here you go Billy!! I'm down to about two jars....but Roy Rogers has red hots in the pantry, so I'd probably better get busy.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by cjs (Here you go Billy!! ...)
thanks jean

I don't remember this recipe - will be a good one to make

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Apple Cider Jelly by mjkcooking (thanks jean[br][br]I...)
I read the recipe to Holly and she tells me it is identical to the stuff her Grandmother used to make and it is in a collection of "family recipes" in the garage...THREE YEARS together and NOW she tells me I have a "cookbook" FULL of German, Swede, and Polish recipes in MY garage...

I think I know why I am going bald and gray so dang quick...anyone figure out why I drink?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)