Tomato Fritters
  Re: (...)
We went to a very nice Christmas party last night, saw old friends and made some new ones. There was food for an army - I took truffle popcorn (they didn't know what it was but they loved it!), cream cheese with Lorraine's Habanero Gold jam, and queso fundido (Mexican cheeses & my chorizo).

One of my favorite things was this recipe for

Tomato Fritters

Ingredients

* 1 c. flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. granulated sugar
* 3/4 tsp. salt
* 1/4 tsp. dried basil
* 1 (28oz) can tomatoes, drained
* 1 TB. finely minced onion
* 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
* 2 eggs
* Canola oil for frying

Directions

1. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and basil.
2. Cut tomatoes into 1/2" pieces and drain. Add them along with onion, parsley and Worcestershire sauce to flour mixture, but DO NOT mix.
3. In a small bowl beat eggs and add to flour-tomato mixture. Blend lightly with a fork.
4. Heat 1/4" of canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by Tablespoon, patting down with the back of the spoon. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and fry the other side. Keep fritters warm until serving time.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Tomato Fritters by Harborwitch (We went to a very ni...)
Now doesn't that sound yummm!!! Do you serve with a condiment?? A pesto or sour cream might be nice!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tomato Fritters by Roxanne 21 (Now doesn't that sou...)
Oh yes! Copied
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Tomato Fritters by Roxanne 21 (Now doesn't that sou...)
She didn't serve it with anything - they were so good just the way they were. Heavenly!! And. . they were made by a gal that does not cook or even like to cook.
  Re: Re: Tomato Fritters by Harborwitch (She didn't serve it ...)
Sounds great. I love anything "frittered".
  Re: Re: Tomato Fritters by Trixxee (Sounds great. I lov...)
Sharon, those do sound great - copied and ready to play with them.

"I took truffle popcorn (they didn't know what it was but they loved it!)" - glad to see you're moving in a little better circle of friends now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato Fritters by cjs (Sharon, those do sou...)
Funny - they weren't the kind of folks I'd have thought would love it! I think they were looking for chocolate. But they ate a half a huge salad bowl!