Off topic---Load shedding
  Re: (...)
Just the South African spin on power outages---what a nightmare this has been........we have no clue as to when these "sheddings" are to happen or for how long--we had one yesterday for 36 hours!! Apparently, the power companies have not factored the influx of a HUGE migration to the Cape area over the past few years---as well as the massive building projects. The MAJOR generators are not able to cope---sooooo----we can expect this problem until 2020--when new power plants will be built and on line---YEH---RIGHT!!!!! Now to live around this debacle----no choice, really!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Off topic---Load shedding by Roxanne 21 (Just the South Afric...)
I guess they do the 'load shedding' to keep 'brown outs' from happening???? What a pain.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by cjs (I guess they do the ...)
When Auckland had its power outage, for weeks, a decade + years ago, Elton John (or one of the terribly famous, sent a plane load of generators over here. The were mainly for the businesses. It went on for weeks. It was only central Auckland that was affected, we lived in Newmarket, just outside the area plunged into darkness. It was expecially hard on the apartment dwellers, no lifts. (elevators).

Might be a good idea to avail yourself of a generator Roxanne. A generator is on my wish list for when we are rich and famous.
Oh, my, and here I am getting ready to complain about the foot of snow the Nor'Easter dumped on us today! We have power, and a generator in the barn if we need it. Once again you've reminded me how fortunate I actually am, all of us in the States as well.

This means you'll be without power for who knows how long??? (And you don't even have a snowstorm to blame) It must be quite the trial for you.

PJ
PJ
You need a generator and a large fuel tank with a hospital style automatic switch. Just do it--when you come home it will help the resale value of your property--I wish you the best.
P.S.--Now is a good time with the value of the $ low--Adam Smith would approve!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by Old Bay (You need a generator...)
While our power outages are not near what you are going thru Roxanne..yikes! We bought a generator that kicks on automatically and runs our fridge and freezer so we don't lose our food. Hubby has figured out a way to have it run the satellite system and tv...leave it to him

Is there anyway you can hooked up a generator? Gads I cannot believe you will have do deal with that for so long
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by DFen911 (While our power outa...)
I consider it behoves us all to consider home management without power. We have outages quite frequently in the winter, if it isn't inclement weather, it is some person wrapping themselves around a power pole. A young fellow, just 17, died not a heartbeat from our estate gate, sickening, such a hideous waste. Might be a good idea to buy some old oil lamps, the new ones quite often leak. We have 4, and we also have gas and electricity, so are not likely to get caught on the fundamentals. The hot water in the kitchen area is gas heated, and the sinks are big enough to take a bath in if pressed.
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by vannin (I consider it behove...)
Dale---we are waiting until we are "rich and famous" also---

The generators, as you know, run on gas----gas is in very short supply here as well----$8 per gallon and another hike in the stars---GEESH!!!! This energy crunch is going to do many of us in----blame it on dubya

Don't cha just love adventures???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by Roxanne 21 (Dale---we are waitin...)
Yes Roxanne, adventures are good!!! We also have a little stove, and old Champion wood fire. No oven but a good hotplate, can heat things, cook things in casserole or pot, make flat bread and so on.
  Re: Re: Off topic---Load shedding by Roxanne 21 (Dale---we are waitin...)
Quote:

gas is in very short supply here as well----$8 per gallon and another hike in the stars---GEESH!!!!

OMG, I'm complaining about paying $2.99, how do you do it over there

Wow.

PJ
PJ