What's your blizzard recipe?
  Re: (...)
If you think you're going to be housebound for a few days, what do you cook? I'm trying out a cassoulet recipe. We'll see, It's taking along time, but we can eat off of it for a while.
  Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by lxxf (If you think you're ...)
Back in the old days, I used to make stewed beans, mac and cheese, and bread. And brownies. That would cover it.

Your cassoulet sounds interesting, what are you putting in it?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by pjcooks (Back in the old days...)
Oh my goodness, are we snowed in or what, Sally??? Isn't it just so pretty though! I thought my two SIL's were nuts going to the Browns game today.

I like to make chili and homemade bread when we get a blizzard, or chicken and dumplings always works well too. Any kind of comfort food. Oh, and hot cocoa!

Would also be interested in the cassoulet recipe. I made it once and we really loved it, but I don't think it was actually authentic cassoulet.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by Mare749 (Oh my goodness, are ...)
I like to make a big casserole and meatloaf for those homebound days. Here's a favorite, really simple:
The amounts of the ingredients are estimates, depending on how much you want to make...the 800 lb gorilla can eat an 8- x 8-inch casserole all by himself.

* Exported from MasterCook *

**** and Noodle Stuff

Recipe By :Fredia Wikstrom
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Meats-Game

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 package pasta
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can milk
cheddar cheese -- shredded
left over beef, ham, pork, poultry, etc. -- cut into bite size

Preheat oven to 350F.

Prepare pasta as directed. Drain.

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except shredded cheddar cheese and pasta; heat until hot.

Combine pasta and soup/meat mixture; cover with shredded cheese and bake until slightly browned and bubbly.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by Mare749 (Oh my goodness, are ...)
Maryann, we're right on the lake and it was wild. My son also went to the game and came home frozen stiff. I'm disappointed, we have been rehearsing since September for a performance in Cleveland Heights this evening - and I insisted we cancel. As it turns out, we probably would have been OK, but I didn't want to risk driving home at 9PM in the dark in a blizzard. We own 2 rear-wheel drive vehicles so snow is not an option for us. On the bright side, the brownies with cheesecake swirls that I made for the reception are ours to eat.

The cassoulet recipe was good. It's from Cooks Illustrated Fall Entertaining Guide which came with the 2007 year book. I'll post it if you like, but you know Cooks Illustrated, they are to cooking what Mitchner is to fiction. The first 300 pages are background. I also have to add at least one hour to everyone else's time recommendation. Who said "we are too soon old and too late smart"? They got it about right from my side.

Sally
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by lxxf (Maryann, we're right...)
Blizzard? What's a blizzard? Is that, that frozen ice-cream treat from 31 Flavors?

Sorry us S. Calif folks are pretty clueless when it comes to snow
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by DFen911 (Blizzard? What's a b...)
" Blizzard? What's a blizzard? "

It's 40 cm of snow, howling winds, 4 ft snow drifts, a roaring fire, popcorn, and a glass of wine.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by Lorraine (" Blizzard? What's a...)
We used to get snowed in in Weimar - driveway was long, steep and on the shady side so snow/ice stayed forever!

Always had to get a big pot of soup going and bread and I was a happy camper.

" they are to cooking what Mitchner is to fiction. " - that's funny!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by cjs (We used to get snowe...)
That's okay, Sally, there are plenty of cassoulet recipes around. I would bet that Lorraine has a good one........

What kind of performance? I'm guessing it was something for the holidays?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's your blizzard recipe? by Mare749 (That's okay, Sally, ...)
We sing in the Western Reserve Chorale, in Cleveland Heights. The program was Rutter's Gloria, Pinkham's Christmas Cantata and several other pieces. I just didn't think it was safe to be out on the roads. I tried to post the recipe last night, but the site lost the post.

Chicken
1 cup granulated sugar
10 bone in chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds), skin and excess fat removed

Topping
6 slices high-quality sandwich bread , cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

Beans
1 pound dried flageolet beans or Great Northern beans, picked over and rinsed
1 medium onion , peeled and left whole
1 medium head garlic , outer papery skin removed and top 1/2 inch sliced off
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 slices bacon (about 6 ounces), chopped medium
1 pound boneless pork loin roast (blade-end), trimmed of excess fat and silver skin and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small onion , chopped fine
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes , drained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Ground black pepper
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound kielbasa sausage , halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1. Brining the Chicken: In gallon-sized zipper-lock plastic bag, dissolve salt and sugar in 1 quart cold water. Add chicken, pressing out as much air as possible; seal and refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from brine, rinse thoroughly under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Preparing the Topping: While chicken is brining, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix bread crumbs and butter in small baking dish. Bake, tossing occasionally, until light golden brown and crisp, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature; set aside.
3. Bring the beans, whole onion, garlic head, salt, pepper and 8 cups water to a boil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the beans are almost fully tender, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Drain the beans and discard the onion and garlic.
4. While the beans are cooking, fry the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until just beginning to crisp and most of the fat has rendered, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add half of the bacon to the pot with the beans; transfer the remaining bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high; when the bacon fat is shimmering, add half of the chicken thighs, fleshy-side down; cook until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned on second side, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to large plate; repeat with remaining thighs and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot. Return pot to medium heat; add pork pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add minced garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, cloves, and pepper to taste; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and wine, scraping up browned bits off bottom of pot with wooden spoon. Submerge the chicken in the pot, adding any accumulated juices. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to simmer until the chicken and pork are fully tender, 20 to 30 minutes more.
5. Gently stir the kielbasa, drained beans and reserved bacon into the pot with the chicken and pork; remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the croutons evenly over the surface and bake at 425, uncovered, until the flavors have melded and the croutons are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.

I substituted 2 bls of lamb shoulder chops, trimmed, boned and cut into 1" pieces for the pork and 1/2 of chorizo for the kielbasa - andouille sausage is also recommended.

Sally