need a sausage recipe
  Re: (...)
The Great Hunter brought home a deer last week, so we have been working on getting it cut up and put in the freezer. I have recipes for jerky and summer sausage, but would like to make "breakfast sausage" either patties or links and need a recipe. Does anyone have one? Thanks so much.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: need a sausage recipe by Mare749 (The Great Hunter bro...)
Goodness, I don't have one Sweetie...all I know about deer and elk is that I like to eat it...don't want nuthin' to do with the hunting or cutting, just the eatin' and cookin'
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: need a sausage recipe by Mare749 (The Great Hunter bro...)
Never made any, but a lot of experience eating my friends "masterpieces"---add at least 1/2 pork butt/mixed with the venison (it has no fat), ground, and a lot of garlic, dried sage and cracked red pepper. There is nothing worse than pure venison sausage. I also worked really hard to make my ducks (wild ), worth the trouble--gumbo, stock, orange soaked, bacon wrapped, smoked, etc--trust me--I know.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by Old Bay (Never made any, but ...)
To make up 10 pounds of venison sausage:

You need:

8 pounds of venison ground.
2 pounds of pork fat, (pork suet)
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp each nutmeg and thyme
2 tbsp sage, rubbed

little over a pint of ice water.

You can add in some cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like a little heat in your breakfast sausage.

Have the venison and pork fat almost frozed. Run through the grinder, add in the ice water and spices, mix well, run through grind and pattie it or stuff into casings.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by bbally (To make up 10 pounds...)
Thanks bbally, that's exactly what I was looking for, as I wanted to make this today.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by Mare749 (Thanks bbally, that'...)
Well? How did it turn out?
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by bbally (Well? How did it tu...)
Really well, Bob, after making a few adjustments. I only made 1/2 of the recipe, so thought that cutting the recipe in half would make sense. Then, I couldn't get pork fat or suet at Giant Eagle and didn't feel like driving around in the snow to go to the meat store, so I used ground pork instead based on the recommendation of the meat person at the store.

We decided to taste test before final packing and freezing and found our mixture to be too mild for our taste and Ron thought it needed more salt. So, I added an extra tsp. of salt, some cayenne and garlic powder. Next tasting we thought was better, so we went ahead and made into patties and froze.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to make your own sausage and am looking forward to expanding my knowledge. Thanks again for the recipe and instructions.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by Mare749 (Really well, Bob, af...)
you be hooked now, Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by cjs (you be hooked now, M...)
Oh, I am already, Jean. I was just thinking that I need to get the sausage stuffer attachment for my KA. Never thought I would use it, but probably will now.
Maryann

Re: Re: need a sausage recipe by Mare749 (Oh, I am already, Je...)
You need to make Italian Sausage next! Your pasta sauce will never be the same!!!!

Also, deer meat makes the bestest pepperoni you will ever taste!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985