chicken alfredo lasagna
  Re: (...)
I am making the Chicken Alfredo Lasagna on page 27 from the February 2004 issue for this Satuday, 12/22. It contains bechamel sauce (milk, boursin cheese, egg). Do you think I can do this ahead of time and freeze it? If not, how many days ahead of time can I make it and just refrigerate it? Thank you, forum!!!!
  Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by vermontgirl (I am making the Chic...)
Wow, not sure about freezing (personally, I'd try it myself, but I'll try anything to make the actual day of cooking less stressful, so might want to see what the rest have to say). But, does anyone have this recipe readily cut and pasteable? I don't think I go back that far in my subscription, but it sounds delicious!
  Re: Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by carolekv (Wow, not sure about ...)
I do freeze Bechamel sauce all the time, but I don't make it with Boursin, so not sure of this item. And I've never frozen Boursin, hmmmmm, I think I'd try freezing a little of the boursin first and see if it turns too watery before making the dish and taking that chance. You'd only waste a few hours...

Here's the recipe -
Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
(Cuisine at home, February 2004, Issue 43, p. 27)

Makes: One 9x13x3 Total Time: 2 1/2 Hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Chicken—
Brown in 2 T. Olive Oil:
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste

Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
2 cups leeks, sliced, rinsed
1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
2 T. garlic, minced
2 t. each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
1/2 t. red pepper flakes

Stir in:
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Sauteed chicken, thinly sliced

For the Béchamel—
Saute in 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter:
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/8 t. cayenne
Pinch nutmeg

Stir in:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Gradually Add:
3 cups whole milk
10 oz. Boursin cheese (or Alouette)
Salt to taste

Whisk in:
8 oz. frozen chopped spinach
1 egg, beaten

For the Lasagna—
Prepare:
1 recipe Béchamel, see above
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced
6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb. oven-ready lasagna sheets, parboiled

Related Recipes:

Béchamel Sauce

Brown chicken on both sides in oil in a large saute pan over med.-high heat, 4–5 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board; thinly slice when cool enough to handle.

Saute leeks in oil in the same pan until softened. Add mushrooms, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until mushrooms are soft, about 3 min.

Stir in wine, broth, lemon juice, and seasonings; simmer 5–8 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half. Off heat, add the chicken.

Saute onion for the béchamel in melted butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cayenne, and nutmeg; cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Stir in flour to coat; cook 2 minutes.

Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add Boursin in small pieces and whisk until smooth; season with salt. Set aside 1 cup béchamel for the top of the lasagna. Cool remaining sauce for 10 minutes.

Whisk in frozen spinach and egg.

Prepare lasagna sheets; have both cheeses ready. Assemble lasagna, layering bechamel, pasta, bechamel, chicken sauce, and then the cheeses. Repeat until all pasta is used. Bake uncovered for 40–45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is golden. Allow lasagna to rest 20–30 minutes before cutting and serving.

--------

Béchamel Sauce
(Cuisine, December 1997, Issue 6, p. 15)

Makes: 2 1/2 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Bring to a Simmer and Infuse:
3 cups milk
1 medium onion, quartered
2 - 3 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 t. whole black peppercorns
Pinch ground nutmeg

For Roux, Melt:
1/4 cup clarified butter

Whisk in and Cook:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Season to Taste with:
Salt and white pepper

Bring to a simmer milk, onion, cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns, and nutmeg. Turn off heat and let sit 20 minutes.

For roux, melt butter over medium-low heat in another pan.

Whisk in flour. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove onion, and gradually whisk milk into roux. Stir constantly and cook until thick — slowly! When sauce hits desired consistency, strain. Use fine-mesh sieve to remove seasonings and any lumps.

Season sauce to taste with salt and white pepper. White pepper doesn't show any dark specks.

------

Ooops, sorry - didn't see that the original had the bechamel recipe, but I'll leave it...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by cjs (I do freeze Bechamel...)
I have frozen the Boursin---and no problem there!!!! Inasmuch as that particular item is not readily available here---I horde!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by Roxanne 21 (I have frozen the Bo...)
Geez that sounds good!

ooops, welcome!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
WELCOME vermontgirl!!!! Where is Bondville???? I am from that neck of the woods---sort of!!! (I think!!!)

I think you could make this maybe 2-3 days beforehand with no problem (but keep refrigerated until ready to bake---keep at room temp for about 30 minutes before baking)---freezing would make it a bit watery when thawing---IMHO (and experience )
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME vermontgirl!...)
Welcome Vermontgirl, used to run by Bondville coming back to Concord NH from North Adams, MA! Nice place! Very Nice.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: chicken alfredo lasagna by bbally (Welcome Vermontgirl,...)
Welcome, VermontGirl! This is a fabulous recipe. I've made it several times. You can make it ahead and freeze the lasagna, so I suppose you could freeze the sauce separately as well.

Let us know how it turns out!
I am interested in the recipe. My husband and I reside in Grenada and I left my Cuisine bookss at home. I want to make the chicken alfredo lasgna and do not have the recipe. Can you show me how to find it on the computer or email me the address. I have served this often at home and people rave!
I plan to freeze it for the visit of my chef son who comes in two weeks.
I am looking for the recipe and do not know how to bring it up on the computer....Now residing in Grenada, I did not bring it with me...it is so delicious and I plan to freeze mine for company coming in two weeks.