Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer
  Re: (...)
Okay, so I STILL want to purchase a FoodSaver, but thought I would give a review on the Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer since I purchased one this weekend.

I purchased the hand sealing unit for $8.99. It is battery operated with 6 AA batteries that DO come in the unit. You just have to pull out that little plastic tab to activate the batteries. I purchased their bags and they have gallon and quart bags available. The cost of the bags for gallon = .28, and the cost for quart = .20 each.

I purchased this so I could put my corned deer in them. So I put the meat in, sealed the bag and used the handy-dandy handi-vac to suck the air out. It sucked out every bit of air! Looked just like FoodSaver type sealing. The bags are special, freezer quality bags. Their is a special panel in their to prevent liquid from being sucked into the Handi-vac machine.

I was very impressed with this gadget over all. Best part? You can purchase deli meats and cheeses, put them in a bag and conveniently suck the air out between uses! Not sure if this unit is as good as a FoodSaver system and I am still planning on buying one. But this seems to be a very cost-effective way to package in smaller quanities and suck air out on a daily basis.

Pros: Very inexpensive, handy to use, easy to store when not in use
Cons: Not sure if it's a good as a FoodSaver

Overall Review: Clever idea. Worth the money even for storing things like: brown sugar, marshmallows, deli meats and cheeses, hot dogs. I think this would be a great unit for anyone who would like to seal stuff on a regular basis without having to bring out a larger unit, or have a larger unit on your countertop.

[Image: picture.jpg]

You can also store frozen veggies! Take out what you need, seal the bag and suck the air out lickety-split!

[Image: picture-021.jpg]

Corned deer
[Image: DSC02052.jpg]

Meatballs
[Image: DSC02050.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by luvnit (Okay, so I STILL wan...)
Can you heat and/or cook the foods in these bags?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by cjs (Can you heat and/or ...)
I bet you're right Laura, it'd be worth it to have both. Where'd you get the Handi Vac??
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by farnfam (I bet you're right L...)
I also wonder if they are reusable? My food saver bags if I cut them just right I can turn inside out and put them in my dishwasher to get sterile and reuse. I wonder if you could do the same with these or would that valve not take the heat. I also wonder if food particles get into the valve making it not reusable.

Flip side the bags are inexpensive....I do like the idea of having it for quick things like brown sugar et al.
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by cjs (Can you heat and/or ...)
Can you cook in the bags??

I do not think you can cook in them or boil in the bag. It says you can defrost in them, simply open the bag a crack to vent it.

Are the bags reusable??

You would not be able to turn them inside out. The vent is on one side and so is the 'ziplock' portion. I think if you had frozen veggies in them, you could reuse by putting more frozen veggies in them.

Soups and liquids?

Not recommended for soups our sauces. But then again... if you freeze your soup in a shallow container that would allow the soup to fit in the bag, freeze it and pop it out of the container. I'm sure you could do that and I will try that.

I don't think this is a replacement for a FoodSaver, but certainly serves it's own purpose.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by luvnit ( [b]Can you cook in ...)
I figured they would be much more expensive. For that price I now think, like you, that they DO have their place.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by bjcotton (I figured they would...)
I like the idea of using and resealing...like brown sugar and corn meal, etc. that those pesky little bugs get into. I think I may have to check this out, too.

Thanks for the review!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by luvnit (Okay, so I STILL wan...)
Thanks for the review. I like the idea of not having to drag out the foodsaver for little things. I think this may have a place in my kitchen after all.

I'm glad you tried it out! and shared your experience.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by pjcooks (Thanks for the revie...)
For those of you thinking of getting the Foodsaver and don't have much counter space, let me recommend the one I have. Its the V2860 model and the only place I know to get it is at QVC. Can go online and find the details, but it flips up, has more controls like pulsing for baked goods and the hose for canisters is on the machine itself so you don't have to search for it. It's really a convenient model. I should know. This is my third. Have had one or another of them for at least 10 years, but this is by far the best. Love that I can seal baked good without crushing and that it takes up no counter space when flipped up. I think Costco has one that flips up also, but it doesn't have the hose attached and I find that very convenient. Hope this info helps someone.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Product Review - Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer by Dismc (For those of you thi...)
I am also very interested, I will contact them to see if they have an outlet here.