Why does my apartment smell like licorice?
  Re: (...)
...that's what I thought to myself as I returned to my apartment after a long trip home.

It WAS a long trip - a little over an hour in a friend's car, when it would usually take me about 15 minutes to walk from where I had been. Why so much longer by car? Rain, and lots of it.

It has been raining almost non-stop for a couple of days, now, and the rain had been particularly hard, yesterday, while I was working on the school's computers. After the work at the school, I went to a friend's house to work on her computer. When I finally left, and started walking back (in the rain), I was not able to get a taxi, since most had given up because of the rain, and the few that were operating already had passengers and were going the opposite direction. Just about when I had resigned myself to walking home the entire way (as I said - usually just 15 minutes, anyway, and I usually DO walk, but for this rain), another friend, in a pickup truck, happened by, and gave me a ride.

Many of the streets were so flooded that he went WAY out of the way to get around the worst of it. When we finally got to the main road, it was, of course, flooded with other cars, instead of water. Finally, we got back to my neighbourhood and slowly, carefully drove through water that was more than knee deep.

All of that explains why a 15-minute walk became an hour-long drive, but why DID my apartment smell like licorice?

Well, apparently, there had also been a few, brief bursts of wind, and my kitchen curtains had knocked a glass jar of garam masala onto the floor, shattering the glass, turning the floor into curry, and my apartment into an Indian market.

Typical, basic garam masala does not, necessarily, have star anise, but some varieties do and, apparently, this was one of them. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by labradors (...that's what I tho...)
What a great story... you had me riveted!

You should be a writer! [If you are not already. ]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by labradors (...that's what I tho...)
Well, thank heavens it wasn't the cardamom! Great story!!! Rain like that here today - the wind is supposed to come up and lots of snow is forcast for the Sierras.

Ssssshhhh: I have a new Cardamom cookie I'll post for you a bit later!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by Harborwitch (Well, thank heavens ...)
mystery solved, home safely, time to wrap up in a comforter and let the rain do its thing...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by cjs (mystery solved, home...)
OH I see. I was thinking broken bottle of Pernod.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by farnfam (OH I see. I was th...)
Quote:

Ssssshhhh: I have a new Cardamom cookie I'll post for you a bit later!

Saw that. Thanks. Will be giving those a try.

Quote:

OH I see. I was thinking broken bottle of Pernod.

Hmmm... Good thing it wasn't that. That does remind me, though, to see if that store that has the sherry also has ouzo.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ouzo....oh, I got in trouble with that one time...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by cjs (Ouzo....oh, I got in...)
Oh yes. Especially good flamed over Teleme cheese. Love ouzo. Been potted on Sambucca a couple times, whooptido! But, never in trouble.
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by Harborwitch (Oh yes. Especially ...)
amatuer, but then you are still quite young...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why does my apartment smell like licorice? by cjs (amatuer, but then yo...)
Next time you come to visit maybe we'll get around to playing a game of "blow cork", sort of like hockey with the cork as the puck - but no hands allowed. Ever been so fitshaced that you've played that game?????

Young, my backside!