I'm new here! Merry Christmas.
  Re: (...)
Hi! I am going crazy trying to find and old Italian cookie recipe. All I know are some of the ingrediants and can maybe discribe the cookie...don't know what it was called. My grandmother used to make them and would love to try a crack at them.
  Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by romalady (Hi! I am going craz...)
Here goes. The cookie shell is fried, kind of like an Italian Knot (Wandie) cookie but made into a rosette type shell then filled with grape jam, crushed walnuts, cinnamon. Anyone have an idea??
  Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by romalady (Hi! I am going craz...)
Sorry, can't help you out here, but I'm sure Linda, our resident Italian baker, will be along shortly with some ideas for you!

Welcome to the board, and Merry Christmas to you, too!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by romalady (Here goes. The cook...)
Welcome, romalady!

The cookie shell is fried, kind of like an Italian Knot (Wandie)

It sounds so familiar, yet I can't think of what it is! Sure hope someone can help!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by Lorraine (Welcome, romalady![b...)
Everytime one of these questions comes up - I wish harder I was Italian!! Welcome 'roma' - you certainly sound like my kind of person, if the roma means what I hope it means.

Where's Maryann, maybe her mother has a recipe for 'roma'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by cjs (Everytime one of the...)
Welcome Roma, I have an old cookie book [gave my new one to PJ] so I'll look through it and see what's what. Wait a minute, I have an Italian Encyclopedia of Recipes I can look through [unless I gave it to someone :grin ]

OK, here's what my Encyclopedia has:

Baked Sweet Ravioli
Chocolate Almond
Choux Pastries with Two Custards
Italian Almond Cookies
Hazelnut Bites
Sultana Cornmeal Cookies
Amaretti
Ladies' Kisses
Tea Cookies

Unfortunately none of them have any jelly in them. If anyone wants a recipe, let me know...might take a while.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by bjcotton (Welcome Roma, I have...)
Welcome Roma! I feel like I already know you! My mother was full-blooded Italian and her favorite aunt was her mom's sister, Aunt Roma. And here's the best part, Aunt Roma was from Oklahoma! I swear, I'm not making this up.

Anyway, the only deep-fried cookies that my mom made were Angel Wings. (polish version is chrusciki) They were twisted into bows, then deep-fried, then sprinkled with powdered sugar. However, our neighbor, who was Sicilian, used to make a fried rosette cookie. She used some kind of iron to make them, then would drizzle them with a little honey and colored sprinkles. I saw the iron on Fantes website if you are interested. Usually, when you buy something like that they provide a recipe to go with it. If this isn't what you are thinking of, I'll try to look into this further.

Please come back and join us often. Very nice people here.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by bjcotton (Welcome Roma, I have...)
Here's one I found:

Jelly Filled Cookies

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) salted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup any fruit jelly or jam

Hardware
Large bowl
Mixer
Cookie sheets
Rolling pin
Plastic wrap
Cookie cutter 2-inch round, or drinking glass

Step 1: In a large bowl, cream butter on medium speed with an electric mixer.
Step 2: Add sugar and beat until smooth.
Step 3: Add egg yolks and vanilla extract, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Step 4: Add the flour and beat until thoroughly combined.
Step 5: Roll dough into ball and then flatten into disk. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 1 hour.
Step 6: After dough has chilled, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Step 7: Flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough flat to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with cookie cutter or glass and place on ungreased cookie sheet, continuing to use scraps and reroll, and cut circles until dough is used.
Step 8: Drop 1/2 teaspoon of fruit jelly or jam in center of each cookie, then top with another cookie.
Step 9: Using tines of fork, seal edges of cookie.
Step 10: Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

Makes 24 cookies.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by bjcotton (Here's one I found:[...)
Merry Christmas and welcome, Roma. I'm new here and am having a great time going through the threads from the beginning. I'm going to fill up my computer memory with recipes.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: I'm new here! Merry Christmas. by Mare749 (Welcome Roma! I fee...)
Maryanne, I didn't realize you were Italian! Another Italian brain to pick!

PJ
PJ