Prime Question
  Re: (...)
I am cooking a 13 lb prime rib for Christmas. I had planned to cook it to a tasteful Med-Rare (I prefer rare, but not everyone does).

Unfortunately, there are 2 people at the dinner who insist on theirs WELL-DONE.

How can I accomplish this and make everyone happy? [Without using a microwave - jk]

My thought was to cook it to MR, the let it rest. Carve it and place a few servings back in the oven to cook until well-done.

Hopefully someone is out there with some feedback for me. Thanks!

To the rest of ya'll, Happy Holidays!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Prime Question by luvnit (I am cooking a 13 lb...)
You might think about taking a couple of slices for the dunderheads (sorry! ) and stick them under the broiler at the last minute - might do the trick nicely. - except that means they get the end pieces where all the yummy seasoning is.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
If you carve and put the servings back in to cook longer, wouldn't the medium rare portions be cold?

My son tells me that to get different degrees of doneness, you baste the portions with hot au jus. They take it out rare, then baste individual slices until desired doneness. I don't have much personal experience with prime rib. Someone will come along soon with a better solution for you!
  Re: Re: Prime Question by cjs (You might think abou...)
"Dunderheads..."

I know, I know. Crazy people. I was also told exactly this, "You don't know how to cook, if can't make it well-done. Anyone can put a slab of meat in a pan and cook it for a few seconds!" I asked if they wanted ketchup with it. I guess I can't complain too much, he's the dunderhead that buying the meat. [I guess money talks and bull$hit is stuck cooking the meat well-done.]

Relatives... sheesh. I am trying to make them all happy, so I will do my best and wash my hands of it.

Guess you can't please everyone.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
I would get two separate roasts (nice center cut) and depending on how many really want it welldone, perhaps get one 5 to 6 pounds and the other 7 or 8, you can either roast them at the same time (becasue the smaller roast would reach the desired temp first or you could even start the smaller roast 20 minutes earlier and have them both done at the same time! Hope this idea helps. To be honest, I think you would be better off with two roasts rather than one very large roast.
  Re: Re: Prime Question by luvnit ("Dunderheads..." [br...)
I'd cut off a section of the roast and cook it to their taste, and cook the other piece med. rare. Then just sit and eat the lovely rare beast while they eat their gray stuff.

My mother used to put an electric frying pan out near the table so my Dad could cook his prime rib to his taste - shoe leather. He liked to be able to chip chunks of "charcoal" off his steak and eat it. Blech!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Prime Question by Harborwitch (I'd cut off a sectio...)
When we were doing the fundraiser in Colorado one of the chefs was doing buffalo prime. One woman sent hers back wanting it well-done. I will always remember the chef's comment [although he did cook it well-done]. He said, "Tell the bi*ch that McDonalds is just down the street!" As you can imagine 7 chefs and 2 wannabees [Lorraine and me] got a real hoot out of that. In case you ever do a buffalo prime, the meat is a lot redder than beef and even though it is medium it still looks blood-rare.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Prime Question by bjcotton (When we were doing t...)
Quote:

although he did cook it well-done].

Oh no he didnh't. I think it was Chef Kelly that finally zapped it, and only because he felt sorry for the waiter!!
So, when you take it out of the oven..what if you take the two end pieces off, and while the rest is tented, zap them or something. Or put them back in the oven at a higher heat??
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Prime Question by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
OK, I was wrong, it was still funny.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Prime Question by bjcotton (OK, I was wrong, it ...)
Billy, the two of us looked like deer in the headlights, just waiting for what Chef would say. I think that moment is etched in my brain forever.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.