Help!
  Re: (...)
I've posted this elsewhere, so I hope SOME of you won't think you've reached your "dottage".....LOL! I'm just scanning my more reliable sources for help.

Here it is:

Sorry, but I needed your attention, as time is short.

There is a young couple we have befriended over the past two years. "She" is a cousin of a close friend.....old family connections. They are getting older and mixing with us "old folks" more and to top it off, "she" lost both her parents in the last year. We (hubby and I) have done a lot for them in the past year. (She works for our cell phone provider...high up...and has done a LOT for us in that capacity.) They are sweet kids and I LOVE adding friends to the mix....we have few friends due to a small old community of my hubby's family friends. It has been a great exchange up to now. I have cooked for them a number of times and attended both funerals and cooked then. All this is standard for me. Hubby has incluced him in the hunting club...which has brought us all closer, but this is new.

Now the quandry...she and hubby showed up at my house today with a gift. TOTALLY unexpected. I'm still in the pj's I put on yesterday...still baking! I thought "How sweet"...totally mortified I was in pjs at 2 pm on a Sunday....they had never been to my house before and I was elbow deep in baking! Then dug in the bag. "She said apologetically, "I looked around and all I knew was you loved to cook." (I had not noticed the logo yet.) There was a round box...a gift in itself...HIGH quality! It had mugs in it...she knew, of course, I love to cook. The mugs were snowman chefs! HOW COOL! After she left, I realized they were Williams-Sonoma. Also in the bag was WS gourmet hot cocoa mix! The mug set is now discontinued but is selling on ebay for 60 bucks without the cocoa mix.

The question...what would you do?

I'm thinking my special cheesecake to deliver at a drop in at their house tomorrow night...no biggie and continued dinners at her house. She is working out of town and does not get to have homecooked meals that often. HELP!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Help! by Gourmet_Mom (I've posted this els...)
"I'm thinking my special cheesecake to deliver at a drop in at their house tomorrow night" - sounds like a perfect solution to me...seems we all get embarassed by one gift giver every year....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help! by cjs ("I'm thinking my spe...)
Thanks Jean. I'm heading out to the store in a few to get the ingredients and HOPEFULLY! pick up the last of "stuff". I swore I would not go out again, but knew that was NOT happening...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean. I'm he...)
Jean's right - your special cheesecake would be perfect! You could make 2 and drop by with one here?

We're supposed to go to my (ex)step-son's this afternoon. Jennifer had been calling her half sister for 3 days to find out what we (me) should bring. Finally get the call yesterday afternoon - on our way to do the last minute shopping - salad & dessert. Salad's cool, befuddled by the dessert request. Finally settled on chocolate orange marbled cheesecake - made the cheesecake last night. And I've got bread rising. It crossed my mind to arrive with one of those huge bags of iceberg and carrots and a Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie - but couldn't do it - last minute or not!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Help! by cjs ("I'm thinking my spe...)
Quote:

"I'm thinking my special cheesecake to deliver at a drop in at their house tomorrow night" - sounds like a perfect solution to me...seems we all get embarassed by one gift giver every year....

Isn't that the truth! And I also agree that your solution is a good one. Enjoy your mugs, they sound really cool.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Help! by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It is really tough at times to accept a THANK YOU!!! You should appreciate----and it sure sounds as though you do!!-- the gift as it is meant to be.......I have overwhelmed a person at times with an over-generous gift but it hs come from the heart!!!! No reciprocation was expected because this was "our" reciprocation!!!!! Enjoy that thank you with humility and do whatever the next time you all can get together for a nice "homecooked" meal---the best gift ever is spontaneous------those are extra special!!!!

That cheesecake thank you sounds special though---- Can you Fed Ex to me----my little guy is on the way for the pick up!!!! Have a very happy day!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Help! by Roxanne 21 (It is really tough a...)
Well, we dropped off the cheesecake Monday night and visited for a short time. Unfortunately, due to the schedule of my kids, we had to rush home to have our Christmas Eve dinner....late. She seemed to really appreciate the "gift" even though some of the praline syrup wound up in my lap...LOL!!! Nothing like walking into someone's house and going straight to the kitchen for a dish rag! I felt bad that we did not get to stay for their party, but they understood. I can't wait to see what they thought of the cheesecake. She doesn't know it yet, but she has some fresh baked bread and a scratch lasagna in her future,too...LOL! Gotta give that new KA further test trials before going back to school next week.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help! by Gourmet_Mom (Well, we dropped off...)
Dear Ms. GM, did I by chance miss the recipe for your "special" cheesecake? Cheesecakes are my favorite thing to bake. Pretty please with caramel on it!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy