Hoppin' John & Duck Confit
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, was this a winner - a friend mentioned a dish she made using duck confit with Hoppin'John when I was wanting some ideas for using my duck. well, this got in my head and I just knew that's the flavor I was going for. Here's what we had for a Christmas eve hors d'oeuvre -

Hoppin' John
Jean’s version

1 lb. dried black-eyed or field peas
3 bacon slices -- chopped
8 oz. onions – chopped
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs of thyme and 3 of marjoram, tie together with string.(if you only have dried thyme & marjoram, use about 2 tsp. of each.
6 cups water and/or chicken stock
2 cups long-grain rice
salt and pepper -- to taste

Rinse, sort and soak the peas.
Fry the bacon in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until tender.
Add the rinsed peas to the pot along with 6 cups water (mix a little chicken stock with the water if desired); cook until just tender (watch carefully after 30 min. so they are not mushy) about 45 min. Drain the peas, reserving the cooking liquid.

Measure 28 fluid ounces (840 milliliters) of the reserved cooking liquid from the peas. If there is not enough cooking liquid available, use chicken stock to bring up the amount or water if necessary.

In the pot, combine the rice, cooked peas, and the 28 oz. of cooking liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer without stirring until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, approximately 20 minutes. (mine took a tad longer for the liquid to be gone, but be careful, taste as you go so the rice is not over done.)

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well before serving.

And for the hors, I mixed a little demi-glace with the hoppin’ John and put a little on a won ton chip (a lightly toasted bread round would work also), then a nice chunk of duck confit and topped with Blueberry chutney or fruit chutney of your choice. Man, these were tasty little morsels.

here's the thread for the Blueberry Chutney, if anyone wants it -

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post45299
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Hoppin' John & Duck Confit by cjs (Oh boy, was this a w...)
I'm the rare New Englander who likes to eat this on New Year's Day.

Thanks, Jean, if I'm in any kind of cooking shape on Tuesday, I'll give it a try!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hoppin' John & Duck Confit by pjcooks (I'm the rare New Eng...)
I can't really say whether or not I liked Jean's Hoppin' John or Duck Comfit since I only had a taste. A little bitty taste!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hoppin' John & Duck Confit by bjcotton (I can't really say w...)
Somehow that smacks of a lie Billy! LOL!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hoppin' John & Duck Confit by Gourmet_Mom (Somehow that smacks ...)
Not! I swear, we each just got an amuse-bouche. Then Jean ate the rest [that's a lie ]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hoppin' John & Duck Confit by bjcotton (Not! I swear, we ea...)
you snooze, you loose...God, it was good. Tracie's still working on the 2nd leg quarter...all by herself.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com