Preserved Lemons
  Re: (...)
I rec'd a box of Meyer lemons from a California friend - and he's a better friend now, let me tell you!!! So, I have my preserved lemons working as we speak. I'm using Paula Wolfert's recipe that we were all drooling over a few months (?) ago. I think Cis made this one also.

To all of you out there who have done this - are there good uses for the juice also? The few recipes I've gotten so far seems to be for the lemons themselves, but surely the juice is good for something...

Now, I have to get my tagine so it's in place for using these little goodies!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Preserved Lemons by cjs (I rec'd a box of Mey...)
Well, there are those Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cookies...LOL! You could also freeze the juice and ***** some to me! Vinegarettes (sp?) come to mind...that way the flavor would be able to stand out. Seafood seems in order...like I need a reason to have seafood...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by Gourmet_Mom (Well, there are thos...)
yes, I did make a copy of the riccotta cookies!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by cjs (yes, I did make a co...)
I'm trying to talk Bob into a trip to Mountain View - there's a place called Casablanca Market that has beautiful Tagines.

Yesterday I sent him for preserved lemons from a middle eastern grocery store in Modesto. He came home with pickled lemons - not sure what to do with them.

Must call our friend Bill and see how his Meyer Lemon tree is doing! I guess I'll be making preserved lemons. Now I'm on a quest for "scented rose buds". The owner of the grocery where Bob went yesterday told Bob that he has some Moroccan customers so he'll ask them where they get some of their ingredients and give us a call. How nice is that?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by Harborwitch (I'm trying to talk B...)
As you have undoubtedly observed darlin', it is not exactly rosebud season; although, I must admit Tracie's roses and Marilee's roses had a few
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by bjcotton (As you have undoubte...)
Sharon, have you made gina's (kitchencapers) rose vinegar? It's such a wonderful 'soft' flavor.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

I rec'd a box of Meyer lemons...

Are those the ones Shrek would use? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by cjs (Sharon, have you mad...)
I have a small bit that I made - and the taste is lovely! Yum.

Billy I'm guessing that somewhere there's a source. I will find out, eventually.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Jean and Sharon, I will be especially interested to hear what size tagine you decide to buy, and also what material it is made from. Sur La Table had some made out of clay that were around $20. Do you think they are any good?

Found this recipe while I was looking.....

Moroccan Chicken with Olives and Preserved Lemons

This recipe can also be made using a tagine.

Serves 4

I like to serve this dish with saffron rice or with roasted sweet potatoes flavored with cumin.

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely diced (to yield about 1 cup)
About 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves and stems finely chopped; more chopped leaves for garnish
Small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 8 sprigs), leaves and stems finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 to ¼ teaspoon cayenne
Small pinch saffron (about 10 threads), crushed
¼ cup olive oil
3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 preserved lemon, most of the pulp removed; the rind cut into thin strips
1 cup red-brown unpitted olives, such as Gaetas
Procedure
In a large bowl, mix the onion, herbs, and spices; this mixture is called a charmoula.
In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in two batches until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side, transferring the pieces to the bowl with the charmoula as they're done. Pour off and discard most of the oil in the pan, leaving a film on the bottom. Toss the chicken to coat it with the charmoula.
Pour ¼ cup water into the pan over medium heat and scrape up any browned bits to help them dissolve. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chicken so it's in a single layer (a little overlap is fine). Scrape out the bowl of charmoula, adding the contents to the pan. Add ¾ cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Reduce the heat to medium low and add the preserved lemon strips and olives to the sauce. Cover and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and very tender and the onion and herbs have melted into the sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. If it's not yet saucy but the liquid is evaporating, add more water and continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a platter. Simmer the sauce uncovered so it has some body, about 3 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves.
Original recipe written by Kathy Wazana for Fine Cooking, #53. Reprinted with the permission of Fine Cooking.
---------------------------------------------------------

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemons by Mare749 (Jean and Sharon, I w...)
Well, I'll copy this to the tagine folder...

O.K., since it's Christmas money, I'm buying this one - it'll be my first (and probably only) piece of Le Creuset

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=2685

tis ordered and free shipping - finally!!!!!!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com