Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin
  Re: (...)
I found a wonderful website that offers a FREE sourdough start with a wonderful history. You need to just send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to share this wonderful sourdough starter.

The Story:

Carl T. Griffith, who gave a sourdough starter to anyone who asked, or who sent him a self-addressed stamped envelope, died early in the year 2000 at the age of 80. He is known for his generosity and the high quality and vitality of his sourdough starts, which came from a sourdough culture carefully nurtured and preserved in his family for over 150 years!

Isn't he a cutie!!
[Image: CARLTG1.jpg]

How to get Carl's Sourdough Starter:
USA Residents
Send a self-addressed, stamped (41¢) #10 envelope [SASE41] to:

Oregon Trail Sourdough
P. O. Box 321
Jefferson, MD 21755 USA

A #10 envelope, also called, in the USA, a "business-size envelope", measures about 9-1/2 inches by 4-1/8 inches (24 cm by 10.5 cm). European size DL is close enough. If such an envelope is not available, simply send postage (or currency as below) plus your postal address, and we will provide an envelope.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by luvnit (I found a wonderful ...)
Isn't that something? Have you tried this yet, Laura?

I made a starter last week from Ruth Allman's book, Alaska Sourdough. It's very easy to get started if anyone is interested.

Sourdough Starter

Dump into the Sourdough Pot:
2 cups thick potato water
2 Tbs. sugar
2 cups flour (more or less)
1/2 tsp. yeast (optional)*

Boil potatoes with jackets on until they fall apart to pieces. Lift skins out; mash potatoes making a puree. Cool. Add more water to make sufficient liquid, if necessary. Richer the potato water, richer the starter. Put all ingredients in pot. Beat until smooth creamy batter. Cover. Set aside in warm place to start fermentation. *Use yeast only to speed action.
----------------------------------------------------

I used 1/4 cup of this starter in my 18 hour bread yesterday. Wow, is that good! It's kind of fun to do once in a while, mostly in the winter.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Mare749 (Isn't that something...)
I have a starter, but want to try this one from Carl. Starters from different areas taste different ya know?

I just finished a sourdough 18-hour bread and it tastes great, but did not really rise very much. I have pics and will post them later because I wanted some advice. It tastes wonderful, but is like only 2 1/2 inches high. Oh well.

Any sourdough 18-hour recipes and tips are welcome!
Laura
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by luvnit (I have a starter, bu...)
Ruth Allman's book is fantastic and her starter is great!

I have both a whole wheat and a regular starter going. Christmas eve I baked off an 18 sourdough cracked wheat bread. I used a recipe from Breadtopia.com, but modified it a bit. You can make a whole wheat starter by feeding part of your regular starter with whole wheat flour once or twice a day for a few days (I used whole wheat flour, water, and about 2 tsp. of real cane sugar).

Sourdough 18 hour bread

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water + 2 tbs
1/4 cup whole wheat starter
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup cracked wheat
3/4 cup very hot water

Pour the hot water over the cracked wheat in a large bowl and let set until the wheat is soft and most of the water is absorbed.

Soften the yeast in 2 tbs. warm water in a small bowl and add to the cracked wheat with the other ingredients. Mix well, cover and let sit for 18 hours.

Remove dough from bowl to a WELL floured board and lightly "knead", adding flour, until a good consistency is achieved. Let the dough rest, covered, on the board for 15 or 20 minutes. Meanwhile sprinkle a sheet of parchment with flour and cornmeal. When the bread is ready gently place it on the parchment and slide into a bowl or basket to rise.

Preheat oven and baking container (with lid) to 500 f. When the dough has doubled gently lift with the parchment and set into the baking container. Slash top of loaf, replace lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid, reduce heat to 450 and bake until the bread is deep golden brown or has reached 198 to 200 degrees in the center. Remove from oven and lift loaf with the parchment and place on cooling rack. After a few minutes slide the parchment out and let loaf continue to cool as usual.

With this bread the longer it "ferments" the more sour the loaf will be.

(quoting Breadtopia: "Generally speaking, the wetter your dough the bigger the holes will be. . . . however, a drier dough will make it easier to get the bread to rise while baking, giving you greater 'oven spring' and a more spherical loaf")
[Image: IMG_5805.jpg]" />

This bread is really good!

Bob's new favorite is a Sourdough Potato bread that I found at www.cooks.com. Very good bread and it makes a huge batch.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Harborwitch (Ruth Allman's book i...)
Oh my, that sounds good! Thanks Sharon. Nice pic.

I just took a look. Which recipe did you use, Sharon? There are 35 to choose from!
Maryann

Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Mare749 (Oh my, that sounds g...)
sigh, haven't used a starter for so long....hmmm.

ready to jump in that picture!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Mare749 (Oh my, that sounds g...)
It was the first recipe -SOURDOUGH POTATO BREAD

1 package active dry yeast
6 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
Instant mashed potatoes (enough for 2 servings)
milk
butter
salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 cup sourdough starter, room temperature
1 egg white beaten with 2 Tbsp. water *** I didn't do the egg glaze.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In large bowl of electric mixer, combine yeast, 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt. In pan, prepare the mashed potatoes according to package instructions.

Then to the potatoes add 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, and starter; stir until blended. Add potatoes to dry ingredients and beat at medium for 2 minutes, scraping sides. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and beat at medium for 2 minutes. With a heavy mixer or wooden spoon, add enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic (5-20 min.) adding flour to prevent sticking. Place dough in greased bowl, turning over to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (1 1/2 - 2 hrs.)

Punch dough down. Knead briefly to release air. Divide in half.

Shape each half into a smooth ball and place each on a lightly greased 12x15" baking sheet. *** I made one for a loaf pan and made a long loaf on a sheet of parchment and at baking time just slid it onto the baking stone.

With a sharp floured knife, cut 1/2" deep slashes in the tops of loaves in a tic-tac-toe pattern. *** I slashed the loaves just before they went in the oven.

Cover loaves and let rise until almost doubled (45 min.)

Brush loaves with egg white mixture. *** Didn't do this

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 35 min. or until loaves are richly browned. *** For a crisper crust spray the inside of the oven with water every 5 minutes for the first 15.

Let cool on wire racks.

Makes 2 large loaves. It also makes excellent rolls.

[Image: IMG_5801.jpg]

I'm going to send for the starter - WTH - I'm having too much fun with this stuff!
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Harborwitch (It was the first rec...)
Thank you, I'm going to make this right now. It really is fun isn't it?
Maryann

Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Mare749 (Thank you, I'm going...)
I think you posted while I was making some changes to the recipe.

I'm having such a ball - just got my oven fixed so it works even better and my hearthkit is in there and working like a champ! Big problem - theres only 2 of us who eat bread - how much bread can we eat???
  Re: Re: Sourdough Starter - Carl Griffin by Harborwitch (I think you posted w...)
Your bread looks so lovely! Absolutely picture perfect. I will have to attempt this recipe.

So many recipes... so little time.

I still have to make Billy's recipe for White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake. I have the perfect pan for it too.
Laura