For Daphne - Olive "Goodies"
  Re: (...)
Years ago when I first started cooking with Kalamata olives, I really did not care for just eating them, too pungent for me, but I loved the flavor cooking with them. Now, I probably munch on many while chopping them up.

Daphne, here are some olive dishes to play with – the first one is an old Weight Watcher’s that I make at least once a month (which is unheard of for me to repeat that often) and it’s only 4 points – if you care. In winter I never even try to use fresh tomatoes, I just go with the canned plum tomatoes.

GRILLED SIRLOIN WITH FRESH TOMATOES AND OLIVES *****

8 small plum tomatoes -- peeled, seeded and chopped*
12 large kalamata olive -- pitted and sliced
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano -- minced (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
Freshly ground pepper -- to taste
15 ounces sirloin steak -- lean, well-trimmed boneless

Prepare grill.
Spray a med. nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, olives, oregano, garlic and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 5 min. or till thickened.
Set aside and keep warm.

Grill the steak for ~10 min. for rare, turning once.
Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 min. before slicing.
Divide evenly among 4 plates, top each portion with 1/4 cup of the sauce and serve at once.

*if fresh plum tomatoes are not available, sub an equal number of chopped drained canned Italian plum tomatoes - no salt added.
It’s only 4 points – W.W.
-----

Another family favorite – I’ll just stop saying this, if they weren’t, I wouldn’t be posting them for you!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

PASTA with KALAMATA OLIVES & ROASTED CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE
Serving Size : 6

2 1/2 lbs cherry tomatoes -- halved
1/3 c olive oil
5 clove garlic -- minced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper -- dry
3 tbsps fresh oregano -- chopped
1 lb farfalle pasta
1/2 c Kalamata olives -- pitted (or other brine-cured black olives)
1/4 c capers -- drained
6 ozs Feta cheese -- crumbled (~1 1/4 cups)
1/4 c pine nuts -- toasted

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375. Combine tomatoes, oil, garlic, vinegar & crushed red pepper in a 13X9" glass baking dish.
Season to taste w/salt & pepper. Roast till tomatoes are tender & juicey, stirring occasionally, ~45 min.
Stir in Oregano.
(Can be made 2 hrs. ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Cook pasta till just tender but still firm to bite.
Drain; return to pot; add tomato mixture, olives & capers.
Stir over medium heat till heated thru, ~2 min.
Add feta & stir till melted & creamy, about 2 min.
Divide pasta among 6 plates; sprinkle w/pine nuts & serve.

Description:
"Roasting the tomatoes concentrates their sweetness."
------
Gil is ‘the man’ in Lorraine’s life and the giver of so many wonderful recipes!! I’ve left the notes Tracie (daughter) made about this salad in a post after she made it.

MEDITERANEAN BEAN SALAD - GIL

Ingredients:
2 cans tuna in olive oil -- (6 ounces each) preferably imported, drained, oil reserved
1 can each -- (15 1/2 ounces) drained, rinsed: black beans, cannellini (white kidney) beans
1 bunch green onions -- trimmed, sliced
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 roasted red peppers -- cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. each: Dijon mustard -- salt
Freshly ground pepper
12 fresh basil leaves -- roughly torn, optional

1. Combine the tuna, beans, green onions, garlic, roasted red peppers and olives in a large bowl; set aside.

2. Combine 1/4 cup of reserved tuna oil (add more olive oil to make 1/4 cup, if necessary) into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add lemon juice and mustard; shake until thoroughly blended. Fold dressing into salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.

Notes: Bottled roasted red peppers are fine for this dish. It's worth spending the extra money for Italian or Spanish canned tuna; the flavor is superior to the domestic brands

Tracie: i made this last weekend at moms party and it was wonderful, i was unable to find the "seasoned tuna" or not sure what i was looking for and i purchased "star-kist sweet & spicy tuna" in a pouch, so we sub. that for it and it was great, we also had decided even though there wasn't any oil in pouch we would put salad together and then add olive oil and to our surprise we didn't need to add any and it was just wonderful, so i thank you so much for sharing this recipe and helping me to make something that so many people enjoyed. (tracie made this for one of the "last parties on the hill" in Weimar before we left.)

cjs: Gil is our man!!! May I add my thanks to Tracie's? Everyone did so enjoy this dish - it was all gone!
-------
If you don’t have prosciutto, just sub some julienne ham pieces

NO COOK - PEPPERY PROSCIUTTO SAUCED PASTA

Joie Warner's book – No-Cook Pasta Sauces
Serving Size : 6

2 lg garlic cloves -- finely chopped
1/4 c olive oil -- fruity
1/4 c unsalted butter -- room temp.
2 med lemons -- zested
1/4 c lemon juice -- freshly ground
1/2 lb prosciutto -- thinly sliced, cut in 1/4" strips
3/4 c Kalamata olives -- coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp salt -- or to taste
1 1/2 tsps cracked black pepper -- very coarsely ground
1/2 c Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated (or Asiago), plus extra for serving
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves -- chopped (or Basil)

1 lb vermicelli -- or spaghettini

Combine garlic thru thyme in pasta serving bowl.
Set aside to warm to room temp or, place bowl (heatproof bowl) over the pasta pot to warm the ingred. & melt the butter while heating the water. Once the water comes to a boil, remove bowl & set aside.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water till al dente. Drain well & immediately add to sauce in bowl & toss.

Serve at once w/extra Asiago or Parmesan cheese.

Description:
"Pasta is lavished w/lemon & enlivened w/salty prosciutto, musky black
olive, and a hefty dose of black pepper."

------

And lastly, tape this one to the cupboard and impatiently wait for a spring day to grill!! These are so good.

MEDITERRANEAN-STYLE BURGERS - C2C RECIPE WEEK

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large egg, beaten (omit if serving rare or medium rare)
2 ounces jarred roasted pimentos, diced
1/4 cup diced Kalamata olives
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1 fresh baguette
romaine lettuce leaves
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

Preparation:

In large bowl combine beef, egg if using, pimento, olives, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well and form into 4 rectangular patties the width of the baguette. Grill the patties until done to your liking.

While the burgers are cooking, combine the mayonnaise and garlic. Slice the baguette from one end to the other lengthwise through the center. Cut the split baguette into 4 pieces. Spread the garlic mayonnaise on the bottom of each piece; top with a burger and a leaf of romaine. Top with feta cheese. Finish with roll top and more of the mayonnaise. Serve immediately.

----

Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: For Daphne - Olive "Goodies" by cjs (Years ago when I fir...)
I'm not Daphne, but I do thank you anyway! You really outdid yourself, these recipes sound so good. Parties "on the hill"-----sure wish I had known you then.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: For Daphne - Olive "Goodies" by Mare749 (I'm not Daphne, but ...)
Gee! Thanks Jean! I don't know where to start!

That's a lie! The PASTA with KALAMATA OLIVES & ROASTED CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE is screaming at me! I LOVE Feta AND pine nuts!

Copied and saved! (The burgers won't have to wait as it's warm here again! Plus, I'd grill in the snow if need be.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Daphne - Olive "Goodies" by Gourmet_Mom (Gee! Thanks Jean! ...)
OT
What is with this site that I can't use my MC9 import bar? Oh Billy!!!!!

Oh and Jean, is this the Gil I know?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Daphne - Olive "Goodies" by Gourmet_Mom (OT[br]What is with t...)
yes, indeed it is!!

Have fun - these are my favorite flavors also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com