Sesame Chicken
  Re: (...)
Neighborhood had another party last night and this is the appy I took - turned out very good! It's a C.I. recipe that was in a newsletter -

[Image: sesamechix.jpg]

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 2" pcs.
1/4 c soy sauce
2 T. grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c hoisin sauce
1/4 c sesame seeds
4 scallions, chopped fine

oven to 400 F. - oven rack to upper-middle.

Combine chicken pcs. with the soy, ginger, & garlic in a bowl. Cover & refrigerate 15 min.

Thread chicken onto wooden skewers, brush with hoisin sauce, & sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place on baking sheet and cover exposed skewer ends with foil to keep from burning. (I did't skewer mine, I just put the pcs. of chix on the b. sheet and baked them, then threaded them (1 pc. per skewer) as I plated - worked well and was much easier)

Bake till chicken is cooked thru - about 20 min.; sprinkle with scallions & serve.

Martin Yan has a Sweet & Sour Shredded Carrot dish that I tossed with some napa cabbage also and used for the 'bed' for the chicken - was a very good combination.

3/4 c rice vinegar
1/2 c water
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c shredded carrots (I used 2 carrots plus a quarter head of cabbage, shredded)
1 T. fish sauce

In small pan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar & salt; bring to boil. remove from heat & stir till sugar dissolves.

Place carrots in a heatproof bowl & pour the hot vinegar mixture over them (I waited till this was cool to add the cabbage). Add the fish sauce, stir to combine, and let cool.

Will keep up to a month.

-----

I'll certainly do this one again!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sesame Chicken by cjs (Neighborhood had ano...)
Looks great Jean! What is a 'CI' recipe?

Gosh I would love to eat at your house! And if I were your neighbor you would probably find me going through your garbage cans!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by luvnit (Looks great Jean! W...)
Cook's Illustrated - this whole neighborhood is food crazy!! It's so fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by cjs (Cook's Illustrated -...)
That looks so good, Jean, and easy too. What a pretty presentation. Recipes are copied.

I miss watching Martin Yan, is he still on TV?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by Mare749 (That looks so good, ...)
What a beautiful presentation! Is that a dipping sauce with it? How did you make that?
Looking a little more closely at the photo, it looks like the sesame seeds are black, or are they just toasted?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by luvnit (Looking a little mor...)
black sesame seeds and the dipping sauce is just Sweet Chili sauce - (it can be picked up in any Asian section of a supermarket.)

thank you - it sure is one of the easier, last minute appys I've done in a while.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by Old Bay (Wow!!...)
Just lovely. Make a stunning lunch too, with salad and pearl potatoes.
  Re: Re: Sesame Chicken by cjs (black sesame seeds a...)
Feeel free to come here and make me some last minute appys, Jean....

PJ
PJ