Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have the old Joy of Cooking? If so, could you please post the recipe for pate a choux? It may be listed under puff pastry swans or something like that. Page 656 rings a bell. (But, my mind is old) I got commandeered to make them for tonight, and I know this recipoe is my tried and true one. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by Lorraine (Does anyone have the...)
I might have it...I don't know if it's the one you want, but the recipe is on page 646 (cream puff shells?). I'll type it up for you so you can see if it's the one you are looking for.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by TwilightKitten (I might have it...I ...)
That's it! Page 646, I was soooo close! Thank you!!!
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by Lorraine (That's it! Page 646...)
WHOOPIE-----Nice to see you Tammy!!!!

Happy New Year to you and yours-----maybe we shall see more of you next year???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by Roxanne 21 (WHOOPIE-----Nice to ...)
Tee hee, thank you, Roxanne...Happy New Year to you too...and everyone else too...

Cream Puff Shells

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Have eggs at room temperature. Sift before measuring:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar, if the puffs are to be used with a sweet filling

Place in a heavy pan:

1 cup water or milk
1/3 cup butter

Bring to a boil, add the flour mixture in one fell swoop and stir quickly with a wooden spoon. It looks rough at first, but suddenly becomes smooth, at which point you stir faster. In a few minutes the paste becomes dry and does not cling to the spoon or the sides of the pan, and when the spoon is pressed on it lightly, it leaves a smooth imprint. Do not overcook or overstir at this point, for then the dough will fail to puff. Remove pan from heat for about 2 minutes. It must never be returned to the heat; this is why, to cook properly, the eggs must be at room temperature. Add one at a time, beating vigorously after each addition:

4 or 5 eggs

Continue to beat each time until the dough no longer looks slippery. The paste is ready to bake when the last egg has been incorporated. The proper consistency has been reached when a small quantity of the dough will stand erect if scooped up on the end of the spoon. It is best to use the dough at once.

A spoon or pastry bag will serve to form different shapes. Be sure to press the filled bag until you are rid of all the air in the tube. Allow space for expansion around shapes, as you squeeze them onto the greased pan. To form the puff or characteristic cabbagy, choux shape, hold the tube close to the baking sheet. Do not move the tube. Simply let the paste bubble up around it until the desired size is reached. To form éclairs, draw the tube along for about 3 to 4 inches while pressing, and always finish with a lifting reverse motion. To form small pastry cups, make one-inch globules. The little point left when you lift the bag can be pressed down with a moistened finger.

Before baking, sprinkle a few drops of water over the shapes on the pan—lightly—as you would sprinkle laundry. Bake cream puff shells and éclairs in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake about 25 minutes longer. Do not remove them from the oven until they are quite firm to the touch. Cool the shells away from any draft before filling. For filling, cut them horizontally with a sharp knife. If there are any damp dough filaments inside, be sure to remove them.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by TwilightKitten (Tee hee, thank you, ...)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by Lorraine (Thank you, thank you...)
Tammy darlin', where ya been? Are you and your family ok? I hope and pray so.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Help! Joy Of Cooking Recipe by bjcotton (Tammy darlin', where...)
Lorraine, you are very welcome...

Billy, we're ok, just insanely busy. Thank you for asking...
Tammy