Coconut Milk
  Re: (...)
What is your favorite brand?
Do you prefer regular over light, or vice versa?
Do you think any recipes you've made have suffered from using light?
  Re: Coconut Milk by Trixxee (What is your favorit...)
I don't have a favorite brand - and I have not tried light... but I recently read something about it. I think it was in one of my New Best Recipe books. They said they preferred the light - I think they said they thought it added more coconut flavor with out masking the other flavors (curry)or making it too rich.

I am planning on trying this the next time I make curry or panang curry. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any experience with the light.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by esgunn (I don't have a favor...)
I think it is important not to confuse the c.n. milk and cream. They very different.
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by esgunn (I don't have a favor...)
Funny you should mention it! I buy whatever coconut milk is on sale - and we usually buy a lot at a time, love it to death.

Today we stopped at a Latin American restaurant for lunch. In addition to all of the wonderful food they had blackbeans and rice cooked together in coconut milk. I could have made a meal on that alone - but everything else was too good!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by Harborwitch (Funny you should men...)
I've just been getting the least-expensive brand at the time. It's usually the same brand, most times, but I don't recall the name right now (though it IS in Spanish, and probably not a U.S.-available brand).

In general, I get the one that's L15 or L16, thus, 80 to 85 cents per can.

Although I don't like the coconut meat (a texture thing, again), I love the flavour of the coconut milk, and especially like to use it in place of regular milk in my favourite custard recipe. YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by labradors (I've just been getti...)
Sharon, I made a rice & bean dish cooked in coconut milk just a while back - it was soooo rich, but really flavorful.

I think I have bought both, but right now I have 3 cans of Chaokoh, a product of Thailand. I don't remember disliking the light, so probably did not make much difference.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by cjs (Sharon, I made a ric...)
That's the brand we usually get.

We cook a lot of rice in coconut milk. It's something Jennifer brought back from a trip to Jamaica. A favorite is cooked in coconut milk and tossed with pickled (sushi) ginger bits and green onions.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by Harborwitch (That's the brand we ...)
I usually get Trader Joe's brand. It's only .99. They only sell light. I am convinced I like the Thai Kitchen brand better but it's more than twice the cost as TJ's.

labradors - are you thinking of Goya?
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by Trixxee (I usually get Trader...)
Quote:

labradors - are you thinking of Goya?

No - That's one that would almost definitely be available in the States. I'll just have to take a look when I go to the store, tomorrow.
  Re: Re: Coconut Milk by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Took a couple extra days, because of New Year's and the rain, but here's a list (combining two different stores) of the brands of coconut milk available here:
  • Tropical
  • Jajá
  • Vigo
  • Goya
  • Hom-D
  • Crown
  • Thai Kitchen
  • Thai Agri
  • ¡Ya Está!
  • Elmigo
  • Promos
  • Roland
Again, I just usually get the least-expensive one at the time, which usually turns out to be Tropical, Roland or Thai Agri, at about 85 cents per can - certainly NOT Thai Kitchen, at about $3.00 per can.