Cornbread help...quick
  Re: (...)
Hubby just informed me that he'd like baked cornbread instead of fried...much to my surprise. I've never made cornbread from scratch since we always had fried at my house. I'd never even eaten baked until I met him. To get by, I've used Jiffy. I refuse to go to the store. I've got cornmeal, flour, sugar, eggs....anybody got some measurements?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cornbread help...quick by Gourmet_Mom (Hubby just informed ...)
Here ya go: This is a Southron cornbread and it has NO sugar. If you want sweet cornbread, add 1 Tbs sugar and 1 tsp salt instead of 1 Tbs salt.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crusty Skillet Corn Bread

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons sugar -- if desired

Preheat oven to 375F.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Stir eggs into buttermilk and add to dry mixture. Mix thoroughly. Melt butter inside heavy cast iron skillet. Make sure sides of skillet are coated with butter. Pour remaining butter into the batter and mix thoroughly.

Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet and bake at 375F until golden brown (25-30 minutes). Test with a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean, cornbread is done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by bjcotton (Here ya go: This is...)
Thanks Billy...copied and saved. Hubby is in a hurry to eat. The smell of those collards and black eyed peas is "killing me". I went with the recipe in MC. If that doesn't work out, I'll have yours for next time! Uncharacteristic of me, I messed with the recipe first time out. (Hubby reminded me that Hooker, his grandmother, would always add corn for special occasions.)I found a can of creamed corn in the pantry and threw that in too. We'll see.

I have a nagging suspicion I'm gonna get one of those..."That was good Daph, but not quite as good as Hooker used to make." comments. That's what he gets for changing my menu at the last minute! I can not help the fact the woman took so many recipes to her grave! I guess the search is on. At least I've got a resource of people like you to help with the quest. Funny, I never knew the man preferred his grandmother's cornbread....after 32 years together and 27 of those married...YIKES!

Forgot to add...moron forgot my iron skillet...AGAIN! So the fried would not have been as good as it should be and I couldn't have made yours this time. Oh well, maybe this will "suck" and he'll remember my skillet...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Billy...copie...)
Billy did good--don't add the sugar--you don't want muffins.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by Old Bay (Billy did good--don'...)
What I wound up with was "Jiffy" homemade.....LOL! Not bad for a first scratch. The test will be an honest effort at his grand's recipe. HMMMM? I think I'll try Billy's without the sugar. If memory serves..her's was not as sweet. It was good, but not the same.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by Gourmet_Mom (What I wound up with...)
Here is my Mother Inlaws recipe. The title is Jalapeno Corn bread - but it has green chilis not jalapeno's in it. Could just as easily leave them out or put a hotter pepper in it.

Jalapeno Corn Bread

1 1/4 cup corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 eggs slightly beaten (???)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
8oz can creamed corn
3-4 minced green chilis (1 small can)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup grated onion

In a bowl stir together first 4 ingredients. In a separate bowl beat together eggs, milk and oil. Combine with corn meal mixture and stir in remaining ingredients. Oil pans well and Pre heat before filling.

Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.

Makes on 9x11 pan, 12 muffin cups or 2 cake pans.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by esgunn (Here is my Mother In...)
Here is the Recipe out of C@H Holiday Menus - New Years Day menu

Southern Corn Bread

Combine:
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 T. baking powder
1 t. Kosher salt
Whisk Together:
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 425, heat an 8" cast iron skillet over high heat until smoking.
Combine cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
Whisk buttermilk, oil, and egg together in a second bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk just until moistened, but still lumpy. Pour bater into hot skillet and smooth top with a spatula. Transfer pan to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before slicing.

Maks 12 servings; Total time; 25 minutes.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by esgunn (Here is the Recipe o...)
A good recipe--I like to mix 1 C flour with 1 C cornmeal for a lighter cornbread--just a matter of taste--just, just, just no sugar---
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by Old Bay (A good recipe--I lik...)
I make the recipe on the Quaker cornmeal box. Makes a 8" square pan. We like a little sugar in the mix.

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar (or less)
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp salt
1/4 cup veg oil
1 cup milk
1 egg
  Re: Re: Cornbread help...quick by HomeCulinarian (I make the recipe on...)
Well, I guess I won't post a cornbread recipe, Red Chile Cornbread, that we had at a friend's house at Thanksgiving - it has sugar in it... (and it was wonderful!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com