Very OT
  Re: (...)
I'm TRYING to get my mystery box dinner done tonight, but it's going to be VERY late and possibly not my best. Youngest son is working with the rescue squad tonight. Three teenage boys were out on the lake today, of all days...temps were in the 40's and going to be in the teens tonight! Their boat overturned. One boy made it to shore...don't know what kind of shape he's in, but the other two are still missing. They've been out for 4-5 hours...it's very cold outside...their only hope is that it has been very warm lately and the water temps have not dropped like they would have this time of year. Helicopters, boats...the lake is a busy place tonight! There are two families...at least...that could use some positive energy tonight...as well as the rescue workers, son included...this is very dangerous! I don't know if we know the children or not...haven't got any names yet.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Very OT by Gourmet_Mom (I'm TRYING to get my...)
Do what you need to do. This is supposed to be fun. Some people do it before some after - hang in there.

Sally
Daphne, that's really scary. My ex husband is fire chief and an EMT, I've seen lots of these situations and it just scares me to see this sort of thing. I hope all goes well, I well understand your feelings, your son is out there in not-too-ideal conditions helping others.

Prayers for all involved, rescued AND the rescuers. Hold off on the dinner, we'll be happy to wait.

PJ
PJ
Daphne - my prayers are heading your way for all involved. We live on a lake and unfortunately have seen this a couple times in the 7 years we have been here.

I could not believe it - I saw someone swimming across our lake yesterday - it is in the 30's and 40's here. They do some triathalon training on this lake, but still. Soooo cold. People just don't use the brains God gave them sometimes.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Very OT by esgunn (Daphne - my prayers ...)
My prayers are with all those involved [you too Sweetie].
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Very OT by bjcotton (My prayers are with ...)
Oh Daphne! I've been through so many situations like that. Several people we know lost their boats (commercial fishermen) in the Pacific. One lost his boat around Thanksgiving - and was finally rescued on Christmas eve. It is heart rending to wait and wonder, the not knowing is the worst.

Prayers are on the way for you, your family, and the families and kids involved.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Very OT by Harborwitch (Oh Daphne! I've bee...)
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone. Son got back safely, but he and some buddies are going back out...just to walk the perimeter. We forbid him to take the chest waders out! He said the divers told him the water is at about 60 degrees and the missing boys would be better off staying in the water. Getting out wet tonight would lead to hypothermia quickly. It's going to be tough going to sleep tonight...worry and helicopters buzing over the house does not make for a good sleeping environment. I can not imagine what the parents must be going through.

We had dinner. It came off late but went well. I'll report on that next week.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Very OT by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the thoug...)
My heart is breaking for you! I can remember listening to the scanner and the helicopters flying around on one occasion - a friend who was a volunteer fireman left our house (dinner guest) and went to try and help - they were turned away.

More prayers my dear! Glad you are all okay - and all I can do is pray that it stays that way, and that the kids in the water survive!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Very OT by Harborwitch (My heart is breaking...)
Oh my, all of this is just terrible. Poor families.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Very OT by cjs (Oh my, all of this i...)
Mystery Dinner can just take a back seat this time. I can't even imagine your stress level dealing with a life and death situation. My prayers for safe return of the missing boys and all the rescue workers are coming your way.